Im looking at wheels for my up and there are some nice alloys from lupos,
Are the stud pattern the same?

·
Registered
583 Posts
ET = EinpressTiefe or offset

14 and 15" Lupo rims by VW / Fuchs use ET38
http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=646&L=1

Generally, same or lower ET values than what VW fits standard on the up! for each rim size should be OK as they should clear the brakes.
(if you don't overdo it
)Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
309 Posts
6" wide rims on the up are ET43,usually VWspec a different ET for different rim widths.
As 1S says, lower ET's are ok but if you go much more than 5mm the handling feels different and you get bump steer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Andy,
Thanks for that info. I bought some Polo sport 6" wide alloys for my up. I'd researched and found that polo wheels were ET38, so Ok, but when I got the wheels found they are Et43. if you're right, they should fit fine. I've just bought some 5mm spacers just in case as I noticed that there's a very tight clearance for the front wheels. Hopefully I wont need them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The original spoke alloys I have on my High Up! is ET41 and I think they are too close to the rear brakes.. Can't be much more than 1mm or less there.Edited by: eightbits

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm running 6.5x15 ET38 with no issues at all.
(Genesis Racer, these get custom machined to fit the car)

BTW : 13" rims won't fit.Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
95 Posts
I checked my 16"x6" classics and they are ET43. The 14"x5" wheels are ET35. Presumably the 15" are ET41. The ET relates to the width though, not the diameter. The standard 16" and 15" wheels are very close to the suspension, so don't go for an ET larger then standard. Equally, don't go much less than standard as this may affect the handling or tyre wear. I did lots of research on this and concluded that it's best to stick close to standard.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Right , so I've got a set of scala alloys which are 6j X14 et38 and another set which are 6j X 15 et 35. Will either of these fit properly and safely, any thoughts anyone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 6Jx14 should be Ok, 5mm off standard; the 6Jx15 might be a bit too far off-axis at 8mm off standard. However, you could always use spacers; I bought some 5mm wheel spacers for about £12, then realised I didn't need them!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Although thinking rationally, you could have ordered your up with any of the sizes and offsets so surely anything within the standard range, 35-43 offset will fit.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Jalna said:
The 6Jx14 should be Ok, 5mm off standard; the 6Jx15 might be a bit too far off-axis at 8mm off standard. However, you could always use spacers; I bought some 5mm wheel spacers for about £12, then realised I didn't need them!
Why would the wheels that have a lower offset, and therefore be further away from the suspension components, need a spacer - when you've said the higher offset wheel, which would be closer to the suspension, will be fine?

In answer to the original question, either of those wheels will fit just fine without further modification.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's not about being closer to the suspension. It's about the central point of the wheel and the wheel/axle/suspension geometry. I'm not an expert on this but read up on the technical details through internet searches. Up to 5mm away from the standard ET was generally recommended as the highest to go.
With a 6" rim the ET is 43. Therefore, the lowest ET would be 38.
I'm not saying the 6" wheel won't fit with an ET of 35, and of course there will be loads of clearance, but this is a significant variance to the standard geometry VW designed into the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Frankjetta said:
Although thinking rationally, you could have ordered your up with any of the sizes and offsets so surely anything within the standard range, 35-43 offset will fit.
35ET is the wheels with 5" rims
43ET is the wheels with 6" rims

It's not just the wheel diameter that is different. The ET relates to the wheel width and is changed for each rim width to maintain the overall geometry.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks all for their input, mentioned it to wife and was told " there's no way your modifying my car". Never mind, I'll just have to save up for a mk1 golf cabriolet too put my wheels on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why would the wheels that have a lower offset, and therefore be further away from the suspension components, need a spacer - when you've said the higher offset wheel, which would be closer to the suspension, will be fine?
[/QUOTE]

Quite right, and thanks for pointing this out. The spacers work the other way round, so work to reduce the ET, not increase it.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Jalna said:
It's not about being closer to the suspension. It's about the central point of the wheel and the wheel/axle/suspension geometry. I'm not an expert on this but read up on the technical details through internet searches. Up to 5mm away from the standard ET was generally recommended as the highest to go.
I'm not saying the 6" wheel won't fit with an ET of 35, and of course there will be loads of clearance, but this is a significant variance to the standard geometry VW designed into the car.
If you do nothing else but change the size of a wheel/tyre combination on a vehicle, it does not alter the geometry of the suspension one iota.

·
Registered
309 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Jalna said:
If you do nothing else but change the size of a wheel/tyre combination on a vehicle, it does not alter the geometry of the suspension one iota.
It will alter the geometry of the steering though. VW set the track rod lengths differently depending on what width/offset of wheels are fitted to the car at factory - this baffles me though.

Not saying that there will be a problem fitting either of the wheels discussed, but there is a point where lower ET affects steering feel, handling, handling over bumps, wheel bearing wear etc. this is worse when combined with much wider than standard tyres

1 - 20 of 29 Posts