Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Back again! Haha

So after sucking it up and going to talk to my dealer about whether I can upgrade my little up! I was offered the polo match edition for little over what I already pay for my UP!

The specs of the car look good etc, just wondered whether anyone else has any opinions on the polo match :)

Ant

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not really as this is an up! forum.

Nick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that reply, last time i was on here the people were quite helpful and some people were interested in other vw's,

I thought I'd start here.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Had a Polo as a courtesy car recently and wasn't that impressed to be honest.

The only gains would be in practicality and even that's marginal unless you have kids. If you want practicality I'd recommend a Jetta. Essentially it's a Golf with a warehouse for a boot but it has the same downside as the Polo.

Where as the Up! is fun to drive and has 'character' the Polo I had seemed to be an exercise in blandness. Well built and everything and certainly a good car but just not as engaging for me.

That said I still don't think the Up! should have been offered in a 5 door so you can obviously take everything I just said with a pinch of salt.

You didn't say why you wanted to 'upgrade'?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the up 5 door is just weird to look at in my opinion haha, and I'm looking for a bigger car in terms of carrying people in the back and also boot space, the up! Just isn't big enough space wise, I do love it though haha

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have had a Polo and now an UP and the Polo is not that much bigger...... how much room do you need ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
It differs about 5-10 litres from Polo to Up! if we're talking boot space. Sure the rear seats are larger in the Polo and you can sit three people but in the front I believe the Up! is the same.

I don't think this forum is the best way to get help from either. We wouldn't be here if we didn't love our Up!s.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Collas chill out! If its not an Up! That's posted you shut the thread! It's an up forum but we all have interests in other cars. Look at any car forum, cliosport.net for example, its not all Clio!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah sorry I should of explained myself better, I meant like a sort of compaison between the up and polo as I do have an up! Thanks for replies though

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 2010 Polo and have now switched to a 5 doorHigh UP.IMHO the Polo has slightly better build quality than the UP but i much prefer my UP to the Polo.
The boot is a little bigger in the Polo and the back seat can fit an extra person but I just don think the trade of between space and (cost + MPG) is worth it.

UP all the way for me.
5 doors so I can get my two kids in the back with out them climbing over everything and a tow bar on the back for the bike rack and three mountain bikes.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Collas said:
Not really as this is an up! forum.

Nick
Bad form! It was in the idle chit chat section. I for one am interested in all things VW.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dubup said:
I had a 2010 Polo and have now switched to a 5 door High UP.IMHO the Polo has slightly better build quality than the UP but i much prefer my UP to the Polo.
The boot is a little bigger in the Polo and the back seat can fit an extra person but I just don think the trade of between space and (cost + MPG) is worth it.

UP all the way for me. 
5 doors so I can get my two kids in the back with out them climbing over everything and a tow bar on the back for the bike rack and three mountain bikes.
I had a 2010 Polo and agree with all your comments Dubup.
( But I don't have a tow bar )Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I had a Diesel Polo for 2 weeks on loan while waiting for my TakeUp. The Polo was not as perky at city speeds, but on the motorway the turbo really kicked in, and gave it some woomph. It had a softer more bouncy ride, and was better on long boring motorway journeys, but around town it wallowed a bit. It was a bit quieter inside. The Polo interior was quite luxurious compared to the Up, but the Up is more stylish. Recently I had a petrol Polo (base model) for a morning during a service. The engine was not as good as the Up, not as perky, less power. The car was no quieter inside, perhaps noisier. Overall I prefer the Up because it is more fun and stylish, but the Polo is a good car, a bit more luxurious and comfortable if a bit boring to drive, but I did not like the base petrol version.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your replies, :) it seem uou all prefer the up, probably because of the forum! But I think the best way for me to decide is test drive and feel the space for myself which I am doing next week! I obviously love a brand new gold but who wouldn't! Haha, they offered me a really good deal on the match so I might have to move across to it :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Polo is a softer ride and drive overall, but more refined and the interior is a step up. The 1.2 lump is not as efficient as the up! either. I would say two different cars, up! drives like a go kart the Polo is more grown up with similar interior space but a bigger boot.

The Polo Match is well specced with rear PDC, cruise control, bluetooth, on top of old SE spec. Much better RCD 310 stereo and better speakers. Best bet is to take one on a long test drive. I would have a Polo over a 5 door up! if I was changing to a 5 door. Polo is very close on price with a decent discount of around 1.5k and 1k deposit allowance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I tried a Polo at the same time as the up! when I was trying to make my mind up about what should replace the awful StreetKa.I'd had a 2003 Polo 1.4 TDi and had liked it a great deal, and was looking at a 1.4 petrol Match to replace it. Then I discovered that the up! had been announced, and as I prefer small cars, the temptation was there to go for the even smaller car.
The Polo was nice (the little repeater lights on the door mirrors were a very nice feature), and available there and then as it was second-hand, but the trade-in on the Ford was abysmal, so I tried my local dealer. They offered more, but after the up! test drive, I wanted the up! and had to wait form early April to late July last year for my High up!
The only way to find out is to try both on an extended test drive and see which "feels" right.

Nick

·
Registered
430 Posts
I recently had a Polo as a loan car, it was in basic trim and not as nice to drive as the UP although still an OK small car. The biggest draw back was the poor fuel economy in comparison to my UP.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts