Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a Volkswagen Up! and have had it for just under 3 weeks now.

I received pricing for the car services:

10,000miles/1st year,

20,000/2nd year,

30,000/3rd years {whichever comes first}

However I received one a quote for a fixed priced "service and maintenance" plan.
These plans are based on mileage and come in three types. You can see this on the
box on the right from Volkswagen's own website:

www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/servicing-plans:
-Service
-Service + Maintenance
-Service + Maintenance + Tyres

I will give you the standard pricing and my quote as follows:

Service Prices:

10,000miles/1st year:

-Oil change Service £184.75

total: £185.75

20,000/2nd year:

-Interval Service £242.35

-Replace Pollen Filter £27.68

-Air Conditioning service £79.00

total: £349.03

30,000/3rd years

-Inspection & Oil change £384.12

-MOT £54.85

-Replace brake fluid £66.37

total: £449.97

Over 3 years that means a grand total of £983.75

Fixed cost service and maintenance plan:

NOTE: For this plan, I had to decide my annual mileage. My mileage was set at 12,000. I think you have it serviced every year at your set mileage as opposed to every 10,000. Correct me if I am wrong.**

Service: yes

Maintenance: yes

Tires: no

Contract Period: 36 months

Number of Payments: 36

Annual Mileage: 12,000 miles

Total Contract Mileage: 36,000 miles

Total Monthly Installment: £19.31

(x36) total: £695.16

Personally, I only think I need the Service (oil change every year etc)
considering its a brand new car, if anything else goes horribly wrong,
it is still under warranty (with some exceptions).

What are you opinions? Any anyone get/not get a service plan on a new car?

1) **Is this correct?

2) Can I get it serviced cheaper elsewhere by a dealer that uses
genuine VW parts and the VW service stamp so that my warranty is not
affected?

Thank you.

Edited by: Arthur Willcox

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
No, not worth it at all. The first service i could get done at my independent for around £120 and that's using REALLY good oil/filter and £60 for the hour labour.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a service plan thrown in with the cost of the car but it only covered the first two services. My minor service at 30k at Johnsons VW was around £120 after the first two free ones and I was quoted £329 for the 40k service at All Electric in Birmingham. When I collected the car it was still filthy, the wheels hadn't been taken off and the plugs had not been changed. I will be doing my own servicing from now on despite the warranty. My advice, get it serviced at a good independent and the warranty will still be good. After the warranty expires, an oil change every 10k and tend to the jobs that need doing yourself if you can. In the last week I have done the rear brake adjustment and have got a set of plugs to go in over Christmas. I'm done paying for diddly squat. ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doesn't the service and maintenance plan include 2 extra years of breakdown cover too? So, for less than 64p a day you get some sort of peace of mind. But, it's a personal choice. And you'll be tied into a contract for 3 years!

·
Banned
645 Posts
The Vw Service Plan is only for two years, so its not really good value.
My previous car had a Five year Service Plan, which cost me only £500, and on learning the cost of their annual servicing, that initial financial outlay, was swallowed up by price of two services, so the £500 was a bit of a bargain.

I decided not to go with a Service Plan for my 8month old Gti, simply because i could have the servicing done considerably cheaper at my local garage.

I go overboard a bit with my servicing, with changing items that do not really need changing, such as the plugs and air filter in the first year.

I know my car does not need that kind of maintenance in its first year, but i find its still cost effective to buy all the genuine parts myself, then pay someone who i trust to do the work.
Even with buying all the genuine parts, from the oil, both filters, and plugs, plus cost of garage labour, its still considerably cheaper than visiting a main dealer.

The garage i use, has a good reputation, and is VAT registered, so heaven forbid, if i require warranty work, i have all the bills and receipts to prove the car has been maintained to VW standards.

Main dealers charge large sums for their servicing, simply because their overheads are considerable, they have staff to pay, high rental values on their dealerships.

Some years ago, i was totally loyal to my main dealer, using know one else to service my car, but their servicing costs are too high.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Seat Mii and I pay £17.99 a month for 2 years that covers the 1st and 2nd services at a guaranteed price. Works out slightly cheaper than paying for the two services separately. I think you might be able to get cheaper servicing done at Skoda dealerships using VAG parts. All depends if you prefer paying monthly or annually and if you want a main dealer or independent stamp in your service book. In the past I looked at a 2 year service plan for our Passat but it worked out cheaper paying for 2 services separately.

·
Registered
692 Posts
£17.99 x 24 is near enough £432.
Just to point out, I have paid between £95, and £120 for the first two services on both my, and my Mrs' Tsi's. That was with the advertised price being £140.
£95 was the later of the two, ie last March, all at our local VW Dealer. They will haggle and price match if they want to retain your business.
The Tsi is gone now and I won't be looking to pay much more if any for the Gti. when it comes round next June.
Much cheaper paying for each one separately.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doesn't the service and maintenance plan include 2 extra years of breakdown cover too? So, for less than 64p a day you get some sort of peace of mind. But, it's a personal choice. And you'll be tied into a contract for 3 years!
Just dug this out from VW Financial Services' website.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And also what's not covered ...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just to point out, I have paid between £95, and £120 for the first two services on both my, and my Mrs' Tsi's.
Main dealers don't do jobs at a loss. Paying £95 for service could lead to corners being cut. Less £15 for VAT and £30 for parts leaves only 30 minutes (@£100/hour) to service your car or they will be making a loss.

At best one or two checks will be overlooked in the rush or at worst that oil filter won't get changed or the sump plug might not be tightened properly.

For a dealership to offer you such a cheap service I suspect you are a valued customer and they are making greater profits off you from repeated new car purchases and possibly additional work such as brakes and tyres.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I can imagine it's the most basic cover which can be had for very little these days, a lot of insurance companies now put it in with their cover.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Main dealers don't do jobs at a loss. Paying £95 for service could lead to corners being cut. Less £15 for VAT and £30 for parts leaves only 30 minutes (@£100/hour) to service your car or they will be making a loss.

At best one or two checks will be overlooked in the rush or at worst that oil filter won't get changed or the sump plug might not be tightened properly.

For a dealership to offer you such a cheap service I suspect you are a valued customer and they are making greater profits off you from repeated new car purchases and possibly additional work such as brakes and tyres.
I'm not a valued customer to my local dealer, never bought a car from them. Our 5 new cars since 2014, ( the Mrs & mine), have come from Huddersfield, Sheffield, and Lincoln, all main dealers.
Bear in mind all they do on the first service is an oil change and a quick check round on brakes, tyres, and fluid levels. Not much more on the second either
I never buy tyres or brakes, (always do my own brakes when required), from a main dealer (& certainly never had to with these cars which we only keep 3 years anyway.).
I always check the oil level, and that the filter has been changed and that the sump plug has been tightened and has a new washer.
Even if I had paid the advertised - in - the showroom £140 that's far less than the £17.99 per month.
If you look at the First schedule above, it's basically the same as I get paying for each service separately. As my cars were all new, I'm paying for an oil change, a filter, some washer fluid, and a check of the tyres & brakes, which, yes, at £95, they measure and report on. Easily doable by a skilled technician in 30 mins. he does the tyre and brake check & fills the washer bottle whilst the oil is draining out.
Everthing else is warranty work if needed, and the brake fluid doesn't need changing as the car is not old enough.
I never ask them to wash the car (which is normally included), as I like to clean them myself, so there's no time spent there.
The last two services, on the Mrs' Tsi, and my old Tsi were £95, being November 2018 and March this year.
I obviously don't expect to pay the same next March, but when the time comes, again I'll ring around the local dealers first, and hopefully again get my local dealer to price match.

·
Registered
323 Posts

They will do services as a loss leader. But i agree 30min is enough to do the miniscule amount of work involved.Then try to up sell unnecessary stuff. Trying to flog a timing belt change on an UP for example. Or even better a belt change on my Golf R......it had a chain!!!
Wonder why I avoid VW dealers!?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Was musing over this subject so I did a bit of ‘the adding’ to come up with some cumulative costs.

Service : 10k miles or 12 months
Minor £184 Major £354 (£538 combined)
Service Plan £295under1yr- (£243+ saving)
Service plan £496.45over1yr (£40+ saving)
Brake Fluid £69 3yrs then every 2.
Discs & Pads £319
Cambelt & Water pump £549 (5yrs)
Mot £54.85 (£30 under svc plan)
1st year combined cost £184 S1
2nd year combined cost £354 S2
3rd year combined cost £308 S1+B+M
4th year combined cost £409 S2+M
5th year combined cost £788 S1+B+M+C
6th year combined cost £409 S2+M
7th year combined cost £308 S1+B+M
8th year combined cost £409 S2+M
9th year combined cost £308 S1+B+M
10 year combined cost £958 S2+M+C
11th year combined cost £308 S1+B+M
12th year combined cost £409 S2+M
£2043 5years £4435 10years
So £1710 over 5yr under svc plans
(@2020 prices)

·
Registered
182 Posts
The true value of service plans vary widely across brands. The best ones are where you buy new and get 3 x services for say £299. These can't be beaten and guarantee you 3 dealer stamps. The 2 year VW plans save you little or nothing over the listed price of each service. The only benefit is you pay monthly and not in two lump sums.

You are much better using a VAT registered independent garage and using genuine parts or playing dealers off against each other to get a better price.

Once out of warranty do it yourself if you can and you will save a fortune. Keep your receipts for service parts and that shows the car has been serviced. Invest in few tools that you will use for the rest of your life (or until we are all driving electric!).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Indeed, just thought I’d list the ‘doing it the main dealer way’ costs while I had them in front of me.

Once I’m out of the Warranty period I may well service it myself, I do have all the tools and used to do everything on the Caterham very cost effectively benefitting from cheap overstocked oem parts following the demise of Rover.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's the £200 for basically an oil change (minor service) at VW dealer that really takes the pi$$ and annoys me.

Then I have heard of people being quoted £400 for an interim oil change on a BMW diesel when the oil life monitor has reached zero at a BMW dealer. So it could be worse!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's the £200 for basically an oil change (minor service) at VW dealer that really takes the pi$$ and annoys me.

Then I have heard of people being quoted £400 for an interim oil change on a BMW diesel when the oil life monitor has reached zero at a BMW dealer. So it could be worse!
The thing that used to amuse me was the oil cost, for my Golf I could buy the same Long Life oil in 4L amounts for less than £30 (ISTR if I remember the price correctly) but if I had it dealer serviced they would charge a unit price per litre (an astronomical price to justify the bill) BUT obviously being a garage had bought the stuff in bulk for less than I was getting it.
The car was on the LL service plan but I used to slip another oil change in the middle of the two years.

I have to say when I had my BMW 123d some of the servicing was very very cheap or seemed it for a sub7 second car which could do almost 150 but that was 12 years ago now. They also did the oil by the litre pricing thing which I always laughed at when they talked you through the bill. Much snootiness.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For me, I simply do not like being tied into long-term plans.
OK, maybe I save money with a 3 year plan.... But if I get fed up with the car and sell it, will they refund me? Doubt it....

The Up/Citigo/Mii has to be a pretty cheap car to service on a relative scale, so why worry?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts