Up Owners Club banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
For me, I simply do not like being tied into long-term plans.
OK, maybe I save money with a 3 year plan.... But if I get fed up with the car and sell it, will they refund me? Doubt it....

The Up/Citigo/Mii has to be a pretty cheap car to service on a relative scale, so why worry?
I’ll have it serviced by them for the first 3 years (2 services) whilst the warranty is present to remove any wriggle room on their side should anything happen and then consider my options.
As said before I can do most if not all of it myself bar a cambelt change, although if it was a Rover K series I could do that too.

I looked at parts this afternoon, it’s all very cheap, an oil filter is £8 to £12 if it’s just a standard one for the GTi, but expensive when I could get 4 oem K series ones for that once upon a time. Lol!

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
51 Posts
But how long ago was the last K-series made? Was it still during the Cold War? Maybe a Lada (124) is the thing to get? :)
Last K’s 15 years ago this year, there were still a few brand new complete engines around 3 years ago and lots of parts to build them. Basically a good engine held back by plenty of penny pinching. Head gasket problems caused in part by thermal shock as the stat was the last thing in the circuit, so the engine would fully warm up the stat would open the main cooling circuit allowing unheated water to recool the block so any initial expansion would be reversed then the block would heat and expand again as the whole thing warmed up. Also poor quality gaskets and plastic dowels holding the heads in position. Plus unsympathetic drivers who would thrash them to death from cold instead of warming them up properly and then putting their foot down
I think they had a 3 cylinder chopped down K in development. If you bought an MG 6 you’d get an evolution of the K under the bonnet.

Plenty of tuning potential, I know someone who had a 250hp 1900 last 20000miles+, he has a 1.4 that produces yet more power now.

Lada, the Russianised 124, they used to crash test them by pushing them out the back of planes! The engines were the best bit as with most Fiats, superb engineering but lacking quality.

Reactions: freemansteve
21 - 23 of 23 Posts