Up Owners Club banner

VW UP 2013, EPC light and OBD error PO302?

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  lsjaboard 
#1 ·
Hello

I am from Sweden an my 2013 UP is now been running flawless for 185 000 km but.
All of a sudden the EPC ligth goes on and the engine stalls, had to tow it home and checked with OBD instrument for error codes.
What comes up is PO302 and cylinder 3 misfire.
Replaced all sparks and also the coils are new, also added a new battery because the old would not charge correctly.
It starts up and runs as it should, takes it for a spinn and it works just fine.
At home I would like to check the battery so it charges as it should , then the engine starts to cough again?
EPC goes on again and this time the OBD reader says same error code but this time cylinder 2 is misfiring?
Get all sparks of again and check the coils, cant find anything and puts it together again.
It starts up ok and goes for a spin again.
The next morning the EPC goes on again and it wont start...

Could it be Crank sensor or Camshaft sensor?

I have been on this forum before but my old account is not reachable anymore (new email cant login in on old account..)

Magnus Text Font Blue Light Display device

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a detailed explanation of what can trigger the code, and some suggestions on how to troubleshoot:

As that's a generic code (and, as best as I can tell from your picture, a generic code reader), if you have access to a VW-specific reader (such as VCDS) you will probably get additional VW-specific fault codes which could help identify the issue faster.

#6 ·
Hi tom,
According to the Workshop Manual and ETKA, there is a fuel filter, but it is integrated into a 'fuel delivery module' rather than a separate component, as on larger cars.

#5 ·
Thanks for your reply Tom,
I started the UP yesterday after replacing the camshaft sensor and it ran perfect for a short ride (4 km). I Parked it and and went in for a cup of coffe and then went out again to make another test. The car started on only 2 cylinders... I turned the ignition of and started it again before the EPC light came up but still only 2 cylinders are running.
I will replace the crankshaft sensor also since I got the advice from a friend ( just almost impossible to reach it in the engine departement).
I have not considerd the injectors since the OBD tool show misfire on 2 different cylinders on 2 different occasions.

#7 ·
Misfiring badly, EPC alight, computer diagnostic said 1) knock sensor - fixed, then EPC light again, this time crank sensor - fixed, replaced After hours & £100s. Now hard to start 8 times, EPC light again, this time the computer diagnoses the management system as faulty. OMG! Were the other sensors unnecessary spends then? What the ****
use is a computer diagnosis? It obviously can’t detect faults accurately- help help please before I run out of money. When running it misfires badly.

#8 ·
A misfire probably leads to EPC light and I'm not sure all root cause issues will produce a specific error code...
Without me going back through the posts, you have checked spark plugs, coil packs, leads, injectors etc, right?

#10 ·
Thank you. I appreciate your response & so
wish I could do it myself!
Google suggested injectors before the knock sensor was deemed at fault last October! It’s booked into the garage who put in a new crank sensor a few weeks ago. It’s a bummer! Only done 36K miles! Iv mentioned injectors to the garage but I dont think they take me, female, seriously!
Really do thank you Steve
Happy Christmas,
Lynne

#12 ·
The diagnostic system will be well developed to identify faulty components.
In the case of multiple faults it may be more likely to be wiring loom related (as some sensors will share common voltage supply and ground).

What happened before you started getting these issues ? eg long drive, in for service, driving through flooded roads etc

Without more details like the actual fault codes (P codes) there’s not much more anyone can do on here other than speculate.

#14 ·
To identify if it is the coils without having to buy any, clear the faults, swap the coil with either of the other 2 cylinders and then see if the fault reappears on the cylinder you moved the coil to. If the fault moves then coil is issue - if it stays then something else.