Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am picking up my new (to me) VW Up 2016 plate next week and would like to know when the cambelt and water pump change is due. The care has only done 23k?

Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can of worms open. Lol
VW group essentially say it never needs changing.
VW uk say somthing like 5 years.
someone will come along with the actual numbers I’m sure or you can google it as it’s been discussed a lot. Its really down to you. I don’t think I’ll change mine without reason ie a noise or visible wear at which point it may be too late and it snaps but hey it’s a risk. Or not.

·
Registered
639 Posts
BIG can of worms. Germany claim an inspection at 160,000k whilst UK dealers claim it needs changing at around 60,000m / 5yrs . . . . . and the water pump is a grey area, normally changed just because its all in bits, but some chat about it not being strictly required. More help to follow shortly !

·
Super Moderator
1,082 Posts
The waterpump isn't driven by the cambelt on Up's, its driven by a separate belt on the gearbox side of the engine, so no need to change it unless it is leaking.

Cambelt as others have said is a check at 120k miles as listed by VW Germany, only VW UK advise 5 years. I've seen a few changed here for no reason at all, none have had any damage on them at all, so it's down to personal preference as to whether you get it done or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts