Up Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a VW up! black 74bhp and I do a lot of motorway driving, I am wondering if replacing the panel filter with a performance option will help with fuel economy and maybe even performance.

Any recommendations here will help.

Many Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
157 Posts
I very much doubt there will be any difference, better to make sure you replace the std filter at the correct intervals and use a quality brand.

One of the ways to get more performance is to get more air flow through the whole engine (ie less restriction). However the standard air filter if maintained won’t be the limiting factor, so reducing its restriction makes no difference if the limiting factor is elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Agree as above, the so-called "performance" options have little or no effect, apart from on your wallet. Save the money for something else.
Just keep renewing the standard air filter.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
A different filter could actually make economy and performance worse - a lot of people buy the oiled-type filters (K&N being one example) where they are fine at first but actually clog quite quickly and people forget to chemically clean them and re-oil them. Best avoided for day-to-day road cars.

·
Registered
2013 Vw Up Black edition
80 Posts
The only thing that will help your fuel economy, is a fully focussed driving style, where you use the most efficient gear for your chosen speed.

Only recently, i had the timing belt changed and a full major service carried out on my 2013 Up Black Edition.

On a journey to Bath and back, two weeks ago, according to my Garmin fuel computer on my dashboard Sat/Nav, i had averaged an impressive 74.3mpg.

I am using Premium Tescos Momentum fuel, and have a standard new air filter fitted.

Replacing the air filter with a K&N or Pipercross panel filter, will have little or no effect on your performance or fuel economy, its the way you drive the car, that is the major influence on fuel efficiency, as well as having a car that is regularly serviced and maintained.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts