Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here please go easy on me :)
I have a 2013 VW Up! Black Edition 30k.
A few days ago for the first time ever it decided not to start, it seemed to be turning over fine but didn't have that final kick.
My hubby jump started it and on the 4th attempt it finally started, although didn't sound too great.
Our mechanic popped over plugged his laptop in, drove it, gave it a once over and couldn't find anything wrong.
I've since noticed a strange little quirk ....
I always have the dash set on the time/clock (using the button on the end of the stick), when it's low on fuel the time/clock will auto change to remaining miles.
I've noticed lately the clock keeps changing to engine temperature (not the outside temp).
Could this be linked ??
I love my little Up, but so far she's baffling everyone with what's wrong.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Corrine, Dorset UK

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi there, and welcome to the forum!
The most likely problem is your battery. We've had reports of all sorts of funny electrical issues appearing when the battery is struggling; it may be able to deliver 12V still, but not with enough current (force) to keep everything happy. Signs of failure seem to appear overnight and be rather dramatic, rather than the gentle slide into oblivion seen on some other cars.

Two possible options here:
  • The battery is a bit tired, but is ok in normal use because it is regularly topped up when you are out and about. Now, though, the car has been sitting for a long time without running, and the battery isn't able to hold enough charge between uses to start the car. (With so many cars sitting still at the minute and not able to top up their batteries through regular driving, I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of this.) You may be able to get away with keeping the battery on a drip charger to maintain it between drives.
  • The battery is dying. You will struggle to start the car without a jump very soon, if not already. Given your description of how hard it was to start this time, I suspect this is the situation in your case.
According to my manual, in the 'VW information system' section (p.22 in mine), once the battery has discharged, dash display settings will probably be lost/changed. I think that's what you're seeing now; it's gone back to some previous/default setting, rather than what you had been using. You can certainly read through that section and put it back the way you like, but I would suggest changing the battery first, as it's likely the same thing will happen again when you take the old battery out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like a battery related issue to me as well.

A lot of people's car batteries will be discharging under "lock down" conditions and little use.

A low battery voltage can cause a lot of related problems. I would recommend getting a battery charger on it for a few hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies, we have a battery charger so we will give it a good overnight charge. If it continues, I'll get a new battery. Fingers crossed it's just the battery causing the problems :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts