Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi VW UP Forum UK!

Im owner of a VW UP 2013, but having problem with my brake light, when pressing brake pedal only the 3rd light positioned in rear window lights up, all lights in rear lights stay the same,
Took the lights off and removed the rear clusters for just having the bulbs connected / wired up, and there is currently 3 bulbs (all with double wires inside build) lighting up under normal "light" but no of these 3 bulbs (with double wires inside) light "extra" up when pressing brake pedal? any advise? also which of the 3 bulbs SHOULD light up extra for when pressing brake?

Regards Michael

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would check all the lights in the rear clusters and see which work (indicators, sidelights, rear fog etc). You probably have a blown fuse. This could be the case of the problem or a symptom of another, such as water ingress. I would check in the manual or look online to identify the relevant fuses to check. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check all the lights in the rear clusters and see which work (indicators, sidelights, rear fog etc). You probably have a blown fuse. This could be the case of the problem or a symptom of another, such as water ingress. I would check in the manual or look online to identify the relevant fuses to check. Good luck.
Hi Percy!

Thanks for answer,

All other lights are working, fog, rear, side indicators, normal rear light. Its only the rear brake light which is missing (except from the top one in the rear window which lights up when pressing brake)

Do you know which of the 3 bulbs (top middle or bottom) which should light up with additional light when pressing brake pedal?

Regards Michael

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think they all light up, but I haven't checked. If not VW would have saved a few pennies by using single filament 5W bulbs for some of them!

I suspect you have a poor earth connection or corroded connector somewhere in the circuit, should the fuse prove to be ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Freemansteve,
Thanks for answering, much appreciated! i have managed to get brake light working in left side now (for info its only top bulb which is brakelight) but rear side still not able to produce brake light. have checked bulb by switching them around and bulbs is good so im not getting power to my right side.
I found my left side multi connection and connection pins in socket is badly corroded and needs TLC, but where is right side getting power from? is the wiring shared so problem can be in corroded connections in left side? (remember it is working now in left side) but can problem be its not sending signal to right side?

Anyone have a wiring diagram of rear tail lights?

Regards Michael

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd think the wiring to each whole lamp cluster would have to be separate, and feed back to under the bonnet, or to the fuse box, because the indicator lamps need to be on separate circuits. Not sure where to look though!

Seems odd to fit 3 pairs of 21/5 twin filament bulbs and not use them all! I suppose if all three worked as brake lights, the effect may be too bright in terms of regulations, but I'm sure other cars have such brightness...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi VW UP Forum UK!

Im owner of a VW UP 2013, but having problem with my brake light, when pressing brake pedal only the 3rd light positioned in rear window lights up, all lights in rear lights stay the same,
Took the lights off and removed the rear clusters for just having the bulbs connected / wired up, and there is currently 3 bulbs (all with double wires inside build) lighting up under normal "light" but no of these 3 bulbs (with double wires inside) light "extra" up when pressing brake pedal? any advise? also which of the 3 bulbs SHOULD light up extra for when pressing brake?

Regards Michael
Hi Michael - I removed my (2018) rear light units to suss out for LED bulbs (now done - no probs) and made this to show what goes where. As you can see the only stop/tail is at the bottom - and of course the row of LEDs in the hi-level unit above rear window also illuminate for braking. The giveaway for a standard stop/tail bulb is - look for 2 filaments in it instead of just 1. You might spot one of those filaments being broken & being the cause. Buying an extra one will be a good investment anyway and you could then substitute and see if that is it. (I keep a spare set of all bulbs in 't boot anyway (despite it being unlikely that a LED will fail).

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting. So your tail lights would 'cost' 30 watts and brake would 'cost' 126 watts plus Hi-Level LEDs - about 14 amps if both are used together.
Mine used be 18 watts sidelights and for braking 42watts + hi level.- about 7 amps if used all together. But now with LEDs its more like 24 watts/2 amps.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No - it's weird.
All pairs work as tail lights (6 x 5watts)
One pair works as brake lights (+ 2 x 21W)
One bulb (lower RHS) works as a rear fog light (+ 21W)

The centre pair (vertically) on each side only ever work as 5W tail lights. It would be neat if they swiched-in automatically on detection of a brake bulb failure, but the system is not CAN and won't do this, sadly. At least I am unlikely to run out spares (a legal requirement to carry them in Spain and other places - not sure f that applies to ££ LEDs if fitted! ).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts