Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen's R&D chief Ulrich Hackenberg has confirmed that the
German automaker plans on launching a two-cylinder diesel variant of the
up! city car in 2013. This will be a new version of the up! will get a modified version of the engine powering the super frugal XL1 which has already been confirmed for a limited edition next year.
Hackenberg said that this 2-cylinder power unit is
compatible with the New Small Family platform developed by VW making it
likely that we will seein 2015a production version of the Taigun concept with a two-cylinder diesel engine.
This engine is 800cc turbodiesel is expected to develop just 47bhp, but will be ""˜assisted' by a 26bhp electric motor. The engine's block is made from aluminium and the bores are plasma
coated. It also gets a sophisticated balancer shaft set-up to smooth out
the inherently unbalanced two-cylinder layout. The engine and electric
motor will be coupled to a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. Unlike the XL1, however, the Up blue-e-motion will not be able to travel
solely on battery power. That's because the car's battery pack will
only be large enough to power the electric motor during standing starts
or for brief periods of hard acceleration. Energy will be reclaimed
during braking to help recharge the battery. The Up is also likely to be equipped with the XL1's new ""˜pulse starting'
feature, which will make the car's stop-start mode much more seamless.

In pulse starting, the electric motor spins the idle engine up to the
required speed for its restart, making it virtually undetectable by the
driver. The consumption will be under 3 liters.Lets see then....

·
Registered
532 Posts
The diesel needs to run at a constant speed at maximum efficiency to charge a battery that runs the eleccy motor. It would also be smoother if this fluid system was seamless as balancing an engine at one speed is much easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For some reason I'm really wrapped on a diesel version.
But not so sold on the 'hybrid' or blue motion factor.
Would rather just the engine by itself.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The Smart ForTwo diesel is really nasty. I was all set to buy one until I test drove it. I ended up buying the petrol which served me well for 3 years. Small diesel engines are very unrefined and lack any useful power. Granted VW have brought new levels of refinement to the 3 cyl petrol so I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Look at the large BMW twins. They seem to be well regarded.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do lots of miles and always had diesels but im finding that my 75ps engine is both economical and fast enough to cope with our needs

·
Registered
176 Posts
Having owned vehicles with VAG diesel engines, as much as I admire them for their performance, both in terms of mid-range pull and fantastic economy, I think that the introduction of a diesel into the engine line up of the Up! would prove to be a false economy.

I believe that the levels of economy achieved by the current petrol line up, removes the need to introduce a diesel engine, particularly since a diesel variant would command a higher list price, which probably could not be recovered during the life-time of ownership, taking into consideration that the current price of diesel is approximately 8p per litre more expensive than unleaded.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
587 Posts
Diesel engines are struggling to meet Euro 6 and the development costs compared to petrol engines; which are three years behind diesels are increasing exponentially. Expect a swing back towards petrol over the next 10 years along with electric power as batteries get smaller and much cheaper.

I had a VAG 2 litreCR 170 lump in a Leon FR TDi just after I had had a BMW 118d, the VAG lump was smoother and quieter and felt overall a nicer engine. Worst dervI had s the Fiat/GM 1.9L, unreliable and unrefined.

Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
198 Posts
Miserable Git said:
the current price of diesel is approximately 8p per litre more expensive than unleaded.
Just curious, why is this? Here in eastern Europe diesel is less expensive than unleaded, roughly by about the same amount; I don't know the explanation for that either.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Answer is partly in taxation - but also most of the North Sea oil is a lighter oil and therefore produces proportionally less diesel. So most diesel comes from imported crude oil which is costlier. At least that is what my brother who was in the oil trade in Canada says.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Fuel prices have little to do with market pricing, and everything with taxes imposed on them.
In continental Europe, diesel will often be cheaper than petrol.

·
Super Moderator
1,492 Posts
thirteen-o-two said:
I can see little advantage in a diesel Up!
My trip to France fully loaded gave 66 mpg
My last trip to Cardiff with little luggage gave 70 mpg
The last ten days of just local stuff/165 miles worked out at 51 mpg...

I cant see much improvement with an oil burner
If they use the XL-1 drivetrain, it will be reaching the high 100s in terms of MPG. I think that's quite a jump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This my first petrol engine car for a number of years and I can´t imagine going back to diesels, especially a twin which would surely be incredibly lumpy and noisy. My 75bhp High Up! is doing 4.4 litres per 100km which equates to 64.2mpg. That´s on a new engine with less than 300km and running it in using the engine to 4000rpm. Diesel here is around ‚¬1.26 (£1.05) and petrol ‚¬1.50 (£1.25) Don´t know what the prices are in the UK now?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I looked at the XL1 at the Autostadt, could not get too close to see inside.. certainly not allowed to drive it... the guy i spoke to said they were going to sell for about 100,000euros each... ouch thats getting into super car money... I'll stay with the UP! thanks LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts