Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a VW up high with automatic transmission built in 2013 (with about 55.000 km now).

Several times now I couldn't get the car driving when it was freezing. What happens is I start the car and the blower on full temperature with airco on and try to get rid of the condensation and ice on the windows for some minutes, then I try to drive away but the car responds as if I still have it set in neutral. The tachometer goes up, I hear the engine and everything but the car doesn't move. Same in reverse.

Then I usually try to 'reset' and perform the whole starting procedure again:I turn the car off, then turn the key halfway so the lights and everything go on, put it in neutral, put my foot on the brake, put the car in D for drive (or rear) and the same thing happens. I then try it for a couple more times, same story, then give up and try again after 5 minutes, after which the car drives as if nothing ever happened.

So I went to the garage but they can't find anything that is wrong with it. They haven't been able to check itwhen it is freezing the the problem never occurred with them.
Does anybody has an idea what this couldbe and what to do about it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
This might sound really obvious, but have you checked whether or not it’s the rear brake drums freezing/sticking? Mine stick in the cold and my partners Mii, which she has had for 2 years, constantly suffers from drum sticking also. It usually makes an awful creaking/pulling sound as you try and pull away, however, followed by a clunk as they unstick. If there’s a lack of that then it makes me think drums are unlikely. Maybe try parking on a slope so when it happens again you can take off the handbrake and stick it in neutral. If the car rolls when you take off the handbrake the rear drums aren’t stuck, if it doesn’t then they might be. Also, what type of garage did you take it to? Did they perform a diagnostic or just do a visual and road test?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi pwolski, no there is no brake drums freezing/sticking.

I have noticed however that the problem only arises after I have had the VW in stationary for some time (to get rid of the ice on the windows). Which is still strange.

I took it to a normal garage, I don't know what type of garages there are, a general one anyhow. They only performed a visual test and were not able to see the problem but they didn't test it when it was actually freezing so the problem never occurred.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts