Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VW Up family is set to grow with a host of new versions, VW's research and development boss Ulrich Hackenberg has told What Car?.

First to arrive will be the Up GT, first shown as a concept car at last year's Frankfurt motor show. It will go on sale in 2013, and be powered by a turbocharged version of the Up's three-cylinder engine and be good for around 98bhp.

Hackenberg told us that the Up GT is currently in advanced stages of development and fun handling is a key priority.

The four-door Cross Up concept car is also being prepared for production. It is a more ruggedly styled version of the Up, with a higher ride height and a tougher look. Despite its looks, it's unlikely to have four-wheel drive.

Hackenberg also admitted that eventually a two-cylinder version of the Up will be available, in addition to the all-electric version already announced.

VW engineers are also hard at work producing a low-cost version of the Up for markets such as India. An Indian version will be a five-seater, with a higher ride height to cope with rougher roads. Interior trim quality will also be downgraded. There will also be a saloon version for the sub-continent, but that's unlikely to come to Europe.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just found this early forum thread.

Interesting to look back at these predictions. The electric version eventually arrived.

It took six years for the “GT” to appear, we never got the rugged off road style version or the two cylinder version.

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
Just found this early forum thread.

Interesting to look back at these predictions. The electric version eventually arrived.

It took six years for the “GT” to appear, we never got the rugged off road style version or the two cylinder version.
The two-cylinder would have been the 800cc diesel version as fitted to the XL1, but dieselgate canned that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oh l didn’t know about that one

I wonder why it was never released in the UK. We seem to love our faux 4x4’s and mini SUV’s here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I see that the 2019 e-up will have 'additional features' as standard - a reversing camera and height adjustable driver seat and leather steering wheel with buttons - but my 2018 one (made in the spring, bought in June) has them. (The manual even said I didn't have height adjustment so I was amazed when accidentally operating a lever that 'wasn't there'. Either I have been lucky (so I'd better not type about them out loud) or these aren't new features.
Supposed to be about 2.5 grand cheaper too but OTR price is only £1000 than what I paid (it was cash though plus haggling so maybe...)
I expect the e-up! and e-Golf will fade away once that new VW leccy thang comes out (currently in disguise being tested in many countries)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I see that the 2019 e-up will have 'additional features' as standard - a reversing camera and height adjustable driver seat and leather steering wheel with buttons - but my 2018 one (made in the spring, bought in June) has them. (The manual even said I didn't have height adjustment so I was amazed when accidentally operating a lever that 'wasn't there'.
Yours probably has some extra's in an optional pack - they'll just get added to the basic trimlevel
For the price VW wants for it, they should have been standard from start ...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My friend has an E-Up and it is a great town car, very quick off the line and of course almost silent in operation.
He paid £13,000 used, and the range limitations are not an issue for him. He says in Winter it can be down to 60 miles but for local use it’s fine.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My 2016 e-up has the height adjustable seat. There weren't any choices for options, the e-up had what it had!

Still love it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well despite ordering a standard e-up! or rather thinking there were no other versions it arrived like that. It is described on all documents as just an e-up! but somewhere in the workshop manual it is called an e-up! high. It was at a dealer down south before ours (in Edinburgh) had it brought here & it did go into a trade show so either it was a super version to demonstrate with or all UK versions last year were like it - either way I am happy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, no options for mine. How has yours been after a couple of years using it? Any new brake pads/shoes or tyres yet? and servicing - any problems?
I was surprised they didn't want to see it after say 3 months - just at 1 year or 15000 miles. All I can see to do barring problems is brajes and transmission oil in the small reduction box/differential. I was surprised to see a radiator & water cooled motor ESC & charger but its sensible given the power it can put through. (Never seen anything other than 20 degrees C after driving - big difference from 90-ish of an IC engine).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts