Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just found out today my new Up has a Non Sync Gearbox

I do not understand what this is but my Dad says he drove Crash Box gearboxes 25+ years ago and didn't think cars still used them

VW say my car is fine and I must depress clutch wait 2 seconds then. Choose gear!!!!

I have been driving 17+ years and never experienced this before!

The curtsey car I have is a basic Up and mine is a Top of the range Up
But the basic I have now has a sync mesh gearbox

The mechanic said it wasn't the model but where it was made that determines the gearbox!!!

Sorry I do t understand how a more expensive car can have a cheap dangerous gearbox and a cheaper model can have a good gearbox

Has anyone else experienced this

VW are refusing to replace the cheap dangerous gearbox as it will cost them money!!!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
What? I think it's kinda imposible your Up! has a non-sync gearbox, nowadays those are only for heavy transport vehicles, as far as I know!!

Also, I've never heard that the gearbox was different between equipment ranges.

They're lying to you I think. Your gearbox either needs calibration or replacement. Fight for it!Edited by: Hambert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for this
The information was provided in an e-mail from VW head office yo the local garage

When I explained to my dad n bro (exREME) they couldn't believe it

I have had the car back 6+ times since purchasing and this is the 1st time igave a solid explanation as I'm always fobbed off for being a "dumb Blonde"

I am very angry at VW Edited by: Clairea_1603

·
Registered
957 Posts
That can't be right modern cars do have synchromesh, I could accept the UP may possibly have no synchro on first and reverse as these gears are mostly selected at standstill !

You should ask someone else, another VW garage or contact VW surely this cannot be true

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a couple of suggestions. Firstly did you buy the car used and was it from a proper Volkswagen dealer?

Which country do you live in? It's possible that Ups in some countries have different gearboxes to the UK. I would also investigate to see wether the vehicle could be an import, although this should have been told when you bought the car.

Also if the car is used check to see if there's anything in the service history to suggest that major gearbox works may have been done, for example if the car has previously been involved in an accident or a write off. If there is nothing listed in the service history I would give the car a good check for any signs of potential repairs that weren't recorded which may indicate a previous accident. Look for things like mismatched suspension components and brake discs. If this is the case it might well be an aftermarket gearbox.

In any case it doesn't sound right, you need to keep pushing the dealership to sort it out or you may end up with problems in the future.Edited by: The Novacat

·
Registered
325 Posts
What exactly are the symptoms that you're getting that have led you to have it investigated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

I live in Newcastle up tyne, England
I purchased the car new from VW silverlink

I was informed that it depends which garage the car was assembled in so a basic model made in one garage could have proper gearbox and mine being top of the range assembled elsewhere will have crash box gearbox

I know it sounds stupid but the e-mail came from VW head office to conform I have dangerous gearbox and this is not a problem

I can't believe VW use these gearbox's which are dangerous

·
Registered
325 Posts
The cars are all assembled in one factory in Bratislava, as far as I'm aware.

I'll ask again - what are the actual symptoms? Crunching gear changes? Sticking in gears? Noise?

Why is it dangerous?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for letting me know all cars are assembled in 1 place I will use that information when I go back to the garage tomorrow

The gears crunch regularly, reverse refuses to go in then gearbox oftern freezes.

I must turn off the engine remove key and start car up again (normally resets after 3 times if doing this)

As a female who often travels alone I thnk this is very dangerous as I get frightened at not being able to get away

I took the car back 1st within the 1st week of owning it the cat was 1 week old as I bought the car from new

The cars gearbox has not been right since day 1 and all I got from the garage was it needs to bed in

Now they say "head office has informed us your gearbox is not Sync mesh but this is fine"

How can a crash box gear box been fine?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find with the Up! box, if I want to put it in reverse immediately from starting the engine, I sometimes have to double-clutch it (and occasionally putting it into 1st at slow but not stationary speeds as well).
Shifting is fine otherwise (if a little clunky), definitely sounds like something is up with yours. I find it hard to believe non-sync gearboxes even exist that would fit an Up!, let alone be fitted to some models!

I had an issue with my Scirocco under warrenty (found an oil leak), and was told it needs a new turbo inlet valve, but as oil leaks are not covered, I would have to pay 500 quid for it... Still have no idea what kicked that off.
I phoned up the VW Warrenty people to argue it, and got it done for free eventually. It was pain to find the phone number and get through to the right people however, keep at it!

Edited by: Ed!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, that sounds faulty.

I remember seeing somebody else being fed the non-sync line - it might have been on the Briskoda Citigo forum. I doubt that they'd make two different types of gearbox for a cheap car like the Up. ****, I can't imagine them putting a non-sync gearbox in the Up, full stop!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Guys, just to set things clear, the reverse gear in all cars has (I believe) plain tooths and is not syncronized. Even it my car it usually ends up out of sync and this will cause the non engagement of reverse. The solution to this is going into neutral, release the clutch to let the gears spin, and then press the clutch again and try to engage reverse again. That's perfectly normal and it happens in most cars!Edited by: Hambert

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, that's happened on all VWs that I've had - sometimes 1st, too. Not on any other gears, though.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I reverse off my drive and if I use the car every day then no problem.If the UP has stood for a couple of days or more reverse gear will crunch when selected.

My solution is to select reverse before I start the engine, then I start the engine with it in gear and the clutch down.

Once the oil has circulated ( I assume that's the reason ) and I'm driving then no problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My basic UP has been fine until now 18 months later, mileage 5500 miles. It crashes badly going into reverse from standstill. I thought it might be a loose clutch cable but another person says they had gearbox trouble which sounds expensive. I tried reverse again after a few gear changes moving to a different park spot and it still crunched. Some other person thought you had to wait a few seconds before selecting reverse but this does not seem to have worked.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Have a look at the REVERSE GEAR PROBLEM topic/thread!

I called in on VW Dealer a while ago as reverse gear
selection had got worse. With car parked
and engine idling, EVERY time it
was anything from a soft (but noticeable) ""˜bump' to a worrying ""˜crunch'.

But now it's SOLVED ""“ has been PERFECT every time

The VW mechanic explained to me ""VW have had a lot of problems
with this gearbox. People don't
understand it ""¦ ""

It needs a distinct 3-stage action: 1) push gear stick hard across to the right
2) Pause for 2-seconds 3) now pull gear
stick back into reverse.

Owner's Manual (p128) has omitted an essential few
words! "" Push the gearshift lever fully
to the right <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight:normal">THEN HOLD (WAIT) FOR 2
SECONDS[/b] and then back into the reverse gear position""�

Not has a single problem since- although sometimes when the car has been in the garage for a few days there's a little
resistance when selecting reverse but once its warmed up and been driven a mile or so it's
fine.)

It has occurred to me how VW may have now addressed this
problem. I tried the gear stick
movement in a new ""˜Street' up! in the showroom.
By introducing the need to push down on the gear stick, the necessary
pause is created. Just a thought!

·
Registered
957 Posts
A good tip Peter.....I'll give it a go
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've discovered an alternative solution... When parking the car at evening, turn off the engine, put the gearbox in reverse gear. Because the gearbox is warm after the drive... or oil is more oilier or something... there is never any crunching or only mild resistance at that time. Next morning, before starting the engine, just press the clutch but leave the car in reverse gear (yes I'm aware it doesn't sound too smart). The clutch is "before" the gearbox, meaning starter motor still just needs to spin up the main engine.

I'm thinking of getting a Skoda Fabia
; though mostly because I've realized I'd prefer a car with 5 instead of just 3 doors.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just had a look on the system and there are loads of MQ100 (the gearbox in the up) !

If the first gearbox they were selling was OK and fit for purpose then why did they make 16 MORE part numbers meaning they found faults in the gearbox and have been fixing it ever since. I would like to know what the "X" at the end of each type means.

Edited by: tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts