Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a nearly new Tungsten Silver Up GTI and I absolutely love it. What I don't love is how low profile the tyres are for the winter months, especially after having a bad puncture just the other week.

I have looked into getting some 16" alloys and keeping them on all year round but would like to make use of the standard 17" alloys at some point as I think they look great. This leads me to the 15" Merano winter wheels which I can see a few people on here have fitted to their GTI's. They are currently for sale on the Inchcape site here and I'm also getting in contact with my local dealer - VW 15" Merano Silver Alloy Wheel

I can see a few threads on here to do with winter wheels but I just wanted to ask any owners with this set up for the winter and what they're like, how do they fit, do they need spacers or anything like that. Also, it would be great to know what tyres people recommend as I can see from the German VW site that the size they come with are 165 x 65, but can see that some people in the UK have used 185 x 55.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You can get these cheaper.......
Just seen them on Ebay, brand new, a copy of the 17" Oswald, but 16".
I thought they were 17" at first, but read the listing again, and noticed the "Gti Style" comment. They look very good in the pics, free postage too !

Reactions: jimfh

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
For winter-only, especially if you live somewhere snowy (thus it is easier to kerb wheels or hit potholes), I would get steel wheels, whatever fits.

For anyone considering softening the ride or reducing "slap-noise" on bad roads, or indeed wanting more wheels for winter tyres, these 16" ones look nice on my black car (185/50) :

I do not know if they fit GTi calipers, but they are from VAG so, although for Skodas, they may effectively be an approved fit on other Up!s, possibly without insurance concerns.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can get these cheaper.......
Just seen them on Ebay, brand new, a copy of the 17" Oswald, but 16".
I thought they were 17" at first, but read the listing again, and noticed the "Gti Style" comment. They look very good in the pics, free postage too !
I would not recommend these. You would have to inform your insurance that they are cheap aftermarket copies

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would not recommend these. You would have to inform your insurance that they are cheap aftermarket copies
These wheels would have to up the the specifications required for UK roads.
You say “ cheap” as if that’s terrible. Some may want a cheap set of winter wheels and these may be ideally suitable for that purpose.
There have been original Up GTI wheels (17) for £300 each on here and apparently sold. So a set of these is peanuts in comparison.
Also ideal for those that want a better ride quality.
It’s not really fair to comment in the negative unless you have actually seen these wheels in the flesh.
It matters not which wheels are fitted nor for what reason we have to inform insurance,

·
Registered
65 Posts
These wheels would have to up the the specifications required for UK roads.
You say “ cheap” as if that’s terrible. Some may want a cheap set of winter wheels and these may be ideally suitable for that purpose.
There have been original Up GTI wheels (17) for £300 each on here and apparently sold. So a set of these is peanuts in comparison.
Also ideal for those that want a better ride quality.
It’s not really fair to comment in the negative unless you have actually seen these wheels in the flesh.
It matters not which wheels are fitted nor for what reason we have to inform insurance,
Thanks for opinion. Everyone is different, but in my opinion, these are aftermarket copies that are not likely to be tested as thoroughly as OEM and there are a load of horror stories around replica alloys. People are more than welcome to buy what they want, but i'd say be careful. Good quality alloys and tyres are the most important part of a car for safety.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You can't just sell wheels made of take-away cartons and hardboard though... They will have approvals like E marks, TuV and others if they come from a legit source. "Cheapness" in that case will be about finish quality, resistance to corrosion and the like, not about fundamental safety....

On the other hand, parts for cars are often the most fake of items, without any real provenance when bought off the internet...

·
Registered
424 Posts
You can't just sell wheels made of take-away cartons and hardboard though... They will have approvals like E marks, TuV and others if they come from a legit source. "Cheapness" in that case will be about finish quality, resistance to corrosion and the like, not about fundamental safety....

On the other hand, parts for cars are often the most fake of items, without any real provenance when bought off the internet...
Exactly..... Those wheels could be as good or maybe better than the stupidly expensive originals. To say “ I wouldn’t recommend them “ without knowledge of the quality is laughable.
I bought a set of replica wheels for a Toyota RAV4 T180 some years back as we at the time lived in Scotland and wanted winter wheels. Honestly they were superb with a thick lustrous lacquer ... I used them for five years and didn’t even put wax or wheel sealant on them and they were perfect after that use.

There are big gains here if those wheels are decent. Members can retain the original look while having a better ride quality and they will be less prone to kerbing. Plus if one gets kerbed it wouldn’t be heartbreaking.
Worth remembering is a new wheel from VW We are told is 500 quid + and used ones 300......... I’ve had Audi RSs and BMW M3s that had cheaper wheels.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A quick google on the fitment of aftermarket wheels is well worth a look for those thinking of buying some.
Those wheel look ideal and a bargain if they’re from a reputable wheel making company and not some crap from China.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
OEM wheels are never sensibly priced. I'm sure car manufacturers have teams that go out in the night to dig new potholes and raise kerbs, as it must bring a huge profit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of your replies so far, lots of useful information here and will definitely do some research :)

The 16" GTI style wheels do look great but can't find much online about them.

I would rather buy authentic wheels like the 15" Merano VW wheels or some from a reputable brand if possible. Just want to be sure that they fit the car and clear the brake callipers etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Adam, I don’t know whether you are still waiting for a reply to your original question regarding 15 inch Merano wheels on a GTi. But the answer is yes they do fit, without any spacers and in the box that the wheels come in is a little booklet containing the type aproval as the official VW wheel to be used with winter tyres on all UP models, including the GTi. I use Michelin Cross Climate Plus tyres on mine, they more than hold the road well enough for all the fast driving I do, much smoother and quieter than the original set up too. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Merano wheels with 165/65 tyres as the laws are strict here and must be a manufacturer approved size. Anyway, they perform very well, I have pirelli winters and they grip superb. No spacers needed, bolt straight on. Ride was more comfortable. But, they are well and truly ugly 😊. I put on my summer wheels as soon as we had a full week when the temperature went above 4 degrees.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s interesting about the tyre size because the 50 page Type Approval booklet that came with my wheels mentions two tyre sizes, 165/65R15 M+S and 185/55R15 M+S. It also gives the wheel nut torque figures and every other possible statistic, except the correct tyre pressures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks both!

I have managed to get a discounted set from a dealer in Germany (VW B Stock). They have come with Goodyear winter tyres but the size is 165/65 R15 - I would have preferred 185/55 R15 but can't complain for the price I paid.

They'll be going on the car in the winter and think they'll look okay. For the driving I'll be doing during winter they will definitely be needed and can preserve the original 17" Oswalds for the spring and summer!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Did you account for the import duty you may have to pay now we're out of the EU ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you account for the import duty you may have to pay now we're out of the EU ?
I did and was quite worried about that initially. There was no tax added in Germany and I paid the standard 20% UK tax then only around £15 for the actual import duty.

The wheels and tyres worked out cheaper than just buying the wheels without tyres direct from a VW dealer in the UK!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Good, you were well armed then. Lots of people forget about it and it can be a shock post-Brexit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks both!

I have managed to get a discounted set from a dealer in Germany (VW B Stock). They have come with Goodyear winter tyres but the size is 165/65 R15 - I would have preferred 185/55 R15 but can't complain for the price I paid.

They'll be going on the car in the winter and think they'll look okay. For the driving I'll be doing during winter they will definitely be needed and can preserve the original 17" Oswalds for the spring and summer!
Would you share the info for the dealer, please? Or is it a case of when-they're-gone-they're-gone on this alloys?

I'm close to buying 4 steel wheels for winters, but would love some Meranos instead

1 - 20 of 20 Posts