Up Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I assume you've thought of offering a tuning shop an exclusive deal?
Thanks Steve

Once i have the diffs in my possession, I will have met my first objective of having a Quaife ATB for my UP GTI. Secondly i can offer the unwanted diffs to other enthusiasts. As a long term third objective, i would like any other owner / enthusiasts to be able to purchase a unit for themself.

If Quaife were to produce another batch of 10 and keep them in stock, that continues the supply.

One of the big issues surrounding all this is that the UP GTI is actually a budget car and I wonder how many ordinary owners are willing to spend the sort of money that a diff costs for the benefits. Personally, I think its one of the best upgrades out there (excluding power increases).

I am a professional investor and right now I can make more money investing in stocks and funds than committing a chunk of money on ATB diffs with an uncertain take-up.

If anybody on this forum wants to discuss commercial ideas / deals around the UP GTI ATB with Quaife themselves, I have no problem with that.

I welcome any feedback.

Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is something I'll need to keep an eye out for when I upgrade my High up for the GTi later in the year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks Steve

Once i have the diffs in my possession, I will have met my first objective of having a Quaife ATB for my UP GTI. Secondly i can offer the unwanted diffs to other enthusiasts. As a long term third objective, i would like any other owner / enthusiasts to be able to purchase a unit for themself.

If Quaife were to produce another batch of 10 and keep them in stock, that continues the supply.

One of the big issues surrounding all this is that the UP GTI is actually a budget car and I wonder how many ordinary owners are willing to spend the sort of money that a diff costs for the benefits. Personally, I think its one of the best upgrades out there (excluding power increases).

I am a professional investor and right now I can make more money investing in stocks and funds than committing a chunk of money on ATB diffs with an uncertain take-up.

If anybody on this forum wants to discuss commercial ideas / deals around the UP GTI ATB with Quaife themselves, I have no problem with that.

I welcome any feedback.

Michael
I think one of the problems from a commercial point of view is cost V real world gains. Reading a couple of articles by Volkswizard is in his opinion 145 to 155 BHP is about the limits the engine power can be taken too. Do we really need an LSD to put that amount of power down and if so how often .

That doesn't mean I’m not interested because I am. But I’ve yet to even change my wheels and tyres yet and **** are those tyres rubbish. For road use a set of much better tyres and a well set up set of suspension units may be enough. I’ve yet to drive my car on a dry road yet 👍👍👍

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I think one of the problems from a commercial point of view is cost V real world gains. Reading a couple of articles by Volkswizard is in his opinion 145 to 155 BHP is about the limits the engine power can be taken too. Do we really need an LSD to put that amount of power down and if so how often .

That doesn't mean I’m not interested because I am. But I’ve yet to even change my wheels and tyres yet and **** are those tyres rubbish. For road use a set of much better tyres and a well set up set of suspension units may be enough. I’ve yet to drive my car on a dry road yet 👍👍👍
Thanks Charlie

In an easier post I quoted a paragraph or two from Quaife's website on the attributes of the ATB. They give you a flavour about how brilliant and capable an Anti Torque Bias differential is on any FWD car.

Michael

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
This paragraph is from the Quaife website.

A direct replacement for the standard open differential, the Quaife ATB differential transforms your car’s performance.
Unlike a conventional plate-style limited slip differential, the Quaife ATB differential relies on gears rather than clutch plates for its operation. That means it is much smoother in operation.
The ATB differential never locks harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the driven axle, like a conventional LSD. Rather, it automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, to a constantly varying degree, and never locks.
The ATB differential has many benefits over a standard open differential, including maximising traction and minimizing wheelspin, eliminating torque steer and snatching in front wheel drive cars compared to conventional LSD units, and a maintenance-free design, which retains the standard oil lubrication.
The Quaife ATB differential is proven in circuit and drag racing, rallying and road use, is produced from Corus steel billets, and is CAD designed and CNC machined, all whilst maintaining ISO 9001 standards.
Hi Folks

Just thought I would re-present the information from the Quaife website!

UPDATE:

Quaife have ordered and paid for the Crown Wheel bolts for my diff which will be used to test the ATB. They are chasing the supplier frequently!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have pretty sticky wider tyre's and a remap and I've not tried it on a nice summer's day yet but in the current conditions the car will spin it's tyres very easily in 2nd and 3rd gear from low revs if you don't give the throttle some respect....

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you live somewhere where roads are often damp or wet, or often a poor surface, and/or if you favour harder suspension and/or lower profile tyres, you are more likely to get the grip/traction issues that an LSD is very good for. While all our cars have an ABS-based system for the brakes to grab a spinning wheel, it is not a great system and is intentionally not applied by the software above what? 20-30mph? An LSD will help all the time with off-straight-ahead traction.

With two otherwise identical cars on a track, one with LSD will pull ahead, the question is who really needs it as a normal driver, in a standard car? It is a cool thing, and few modern cars with sporting or track potential, wouldn't have an LSD, for good reasons.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hello Folks

just a very brief update.
Quaife have just emailed me to say the Crown Wheel bolts should be with them today / tomorrow. Testing of the UP GTI Diff will be their top priority!

Michael

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi Folks

Just had a response from Quaife.

They say that testing of the UP GTI ATB will take place this week and they will report back ASAP.

Best wishes

Michael

·
Registered
Up GTI Grey - Miltek Resonated
2 Posts
Hello Micky,

It seems I've a problem to answer in MP.
The message:
  • As a new user, you have reached your conversation limit. Please come back and try again later.
  • Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

Maybe my english-french style looks spam-like :)

Could you send me your email adress in MP?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hello Everybody

GREAT NEWS!!

The new diff has been attached to the sample gearbox, tested and passed with flying colours!!

Quaife had to modify the ARP crown wheel bolts as they were initially too long and stood proud of the casing.

They have told me to pass on the information to you all that if you want the bolts, you can order them from Quaife and they will modify them free of charge!

If you want to order them from an independent supplier, Quaife will still modify them for you free of charge.

I will post the part number of the bolts when Quaife send it to me. I understand that there are at least 2 suppliers, one of which is Darkside Developments.

I should receive 10 ATB diffs early / mid next week!

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes to you all.

Michael

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everybody,

My first account is still waiting for approval by an administrator. Still don't understand why.
So, I've created a new one.

Still interseted in the Quaife differential.
Just a question Micky: could Quaife automatically provide us the bolts? It should be not expensive and easier

If somebody wanted garantee about Mickyboy and Quaife, I asked them on 04 march (I can, transfer the email if someone need it)

Kind regards
Fred

De:Fred Meert <fr[email protected]>
à:[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]
Date:4 mars 2021 21:21
Objet:ATB Differential VW UP GTI
Envoyé par:gmail.com

Hi,

I live in Brussels and I’m a VW UP! GTI owner since September 2020.

I know you don't produce an ATB Differential for this car.

However, a person present on the upOwnersClub.co.uk Forum (mickyboy), explained that he asked you to produce this differential. He says he's going to get 10 of this new Quaife product.

I’m really interested about it but I would like to be sure of it.

Can you confirm to me that it is true ?

Best regards,

Frédéric Meert

Hello,

Correct, Michael Parker is developing a differential with us for the UP! GTI.

Kind regards

Paul Read
Sales Assistant

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient

you are not authorised to copy or disclose all or any part of it without prior written consent of R.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD.

Opinions expressed in the email and any attachments are those of the sender and not necessarily the

opinions of R.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD. Please scan this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. R.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD

does not accept any responsibility for problems caused by viruses whether it is the fault of R.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD

or not. P Before printing, please think about the environment.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hi Fred

Your timing is very good!

I have just ordered 9 extra sets of modified Crown Wheel Bolts from Quaife to make it very convenient for my customers.

I will see these for the exact price from Quaife (no profit) at at cost of £128.00.

Kind regards
Michael

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
HELLO EVERYONE

AN UPDATE.

I HAVE PAID THE OUTSTANDING BLANCE FOR THE DIFFS AND THE CROWN WHEEL BOLTS INCLUDING THE EXTRA 9 SETS OF MODIFIED BOLTS THAT I HAVE ORDERED.

QUAIFE HAVE GIVEN ME A BULK BUYING DISCOUNT ON THE BOLTS WHICH I AM VEY HAPPY TO PASS ON TO ANY CUSTOMERS AND THE NEW PRICE IS £108.00 FOR A SET OF 4 MODIFIED BOLTS..!

I AM INFORMED THAT THE UK COMPANY SUPPLYING THE BOLTS HAVE HAD TO PLACE AN ORDER WITH THE USA MANUFACTURER AND THERE WILL THEREFORE BE A DELAY OF 2 WEEKS.

I AM SORRY THAT THE WHOLE PROJECT HAS TAKEN SO LONG FROM INCEPTION. THIS IS IN PART DUE TO COVID-19.

HOWEVER, I AM VERY EXCITED THAT WE ARE ALMOST THERE AND THAT THE END RESULT WILL BE FANTASTIC FOR US UP GTI ENTHUSIASTS..!

PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH ANY QUERIES.

BEST WISHES
MICHAEL

41 - 60 of 103 Posts