Up Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
HELLO FOLKS!

THE LATEST UPDATE.

I sent Paul at Quaife a message today asking when they are shipping the diffs to me!

I have paid Quaife in FULL, for not just the 10 ATB diffs but also for my modified Crown Wheel Bolts plus 9 extra sets.

Quaife ordered the bolts from their supplier early this week, who in turn ordered the bolts form their manufacturer in the USA. That process is complete and its just a matter of waiting approx 10 days.

Originally Quaife were going to send me untested diffs with a huge questionnaire to be filled in by any mechanic who fitted my diff. I was not happy with that so I sent them my spare UP GTI gearbox. This created some delay but I am 100% happy that the finished diffs are perfect and will be 100% effective and performance enhancing!

Quaife have no logical or contractual reason now to withhold the diffs from me so I will push hard on the earliest possible delivery, even if I have to send my own courier to collect them and stand the cost myself..!!

I will inform you as soon as they arrive and hopefully upload a photo of the VW UP GTI ATB Differential.o_O

I will get straight to work on the Ebay page at that point and its game on!

Thank you for your support & patience!

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Best wishes to you all.

Michael

·
Registered
Up GTI
23 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
HI EVERYONE

A QUICK UPDATE!

I have confirmed with Quaife Engineering that i require the ATB Diffs ASAP. I'm just waiting for them to arrange transport and confirm a date to me!

Best wishes

Michael

·
Registered
326 Posts
Michael this is great news.

Now that we are close, could you outline a buy-and-fit process?

Purchase from.... you?
Take off front diff, open it and fit new thingy..... My mechanic to do? Reseal?
Enjoy?

I'm curious

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Hi Doc

Thanks for your enthusiasm and interest in this project!

I will photograph the ATB's and write some narrative (with excerpts from Quaife literature) and create a Ebay page. They help set the courier costs.

I have a set of industrial electronic weighing scales so I can get an accurate weight for the transportation costs.

The thorny issue is that you will see from a previous post that the crown wheel bolts are on order from the USA and they will arrive later. I can dispatch the diffs and bolts at separate intervals but I would welcome feed back on this from Forum members?

When Paul called me with the good news about delivery, I asked him what he estimated to be the labour aspect of fitting this new ATB.

He reckons that it's basically a job of removing the existing car gearbox, drilling out the rivets that hold the open diff on and removing it. Then attaching the new diff with the modified crown wheel bolts and re-installing the gearbox.

Paul reckons its a 3-4 hour job.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best wishes
Michael

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
GOOD NEWS FOLKS!!!

Hi everyone, just had a call from Quaife to confirm that the 10 diffs will be despatched to me on next Tuesday with delivery on Wednesday!

Michael
For clarification that means a "next day deliver" :)

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Hi Everyone!

Just a very quick message to say that the Diffs have literally just arrived at my house!!!!!!

I will unpack one and upload a photo this afternoon :)

Best wishes
Michael

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hi All

Here's hoping that my dodgy tech skills are sufficient to upload some photos! I apologise in advance for the slightly shredded delivery note! In my excitement to open the consignment, I accidentally ripped the paper. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
Up GTI Grey - Miltek Resonated
2 Posts
I'm in , like you know Michael
Great job!

Is it the total weight on the pack? 105kg?

Just to have an idea: here instructions for "how to fit one". In french unfortunately but Google translate will help:

I've found a VW unofficial garage who can fit it. VW official don't do it, like I thought.

Fred

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in , like you know Michael
Great job!

Is it the total weight on the pack? 105kg?

I've found a VW unofficial garage who can fit it. VW official don't do it, like I thought.
If someone interested, I found ATB differential fiting instruction. In french unfortunately but Translate could help.
I can post it if needed.

Fred

61 - 80 of 103 Posts