Up Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I'm in , like you know Michael
Great job!

Is it the total weight on the pack? 105kg?

I've found a VW unofficial garage who can fit it. VW official don't do it, like I thought.
If someone interested, I found ATB differential fiting instruction. In french unfortunately but Translate could help.
I can post it if needed.

Fred
Thanks Fred for that!

I think the pallet and diffs weigh 105KG in total>

I will contact Quaife to see if they have any additional fitting instructions! I believe that the rivets holding the open diff will have to be drilled out. One forum member asked me (privately) about threading the holes where the rivets once were. I will ask Quaife. You can then compare your French instructions with the English ones.

Kind reagrds

Michael

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It occurred to me that the crown wheel bolts are threaded and the casing of the diff has threaded holes, so the crown wheel doesn't need to have any threading.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It occurred to me that the crown wheel bolts are threaded and the casing of the diff has threaded holes, so the crown wheel doesn't need to have any threading.
The crown wheel will be manufactured out of case hardened steel so hand tapping that would be out of the question. It looks like you've got a set of ARP diff bolts so they'll be fitted from the reverse side and then the 12 point nuts torqued up to fasten the diff housing to the gear.

Having worked in motorsport for most of my career and dealt with a few gearbox suppliers (such as Xtrac) and seen their prices it amazes me that Quaife can design and manufacture 10 of these diff assemblies for just £715+VAT each.

I've only just bought my UP and it's stock so I'm not really in the market for something like this but I've previously owned cars with Quaife diffs and definitely appreciate what they offer. Kudos to you for launching the project.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Hi Uppy

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate your input on this matter!

Michael

·
Registered
47 Posts
No Probs - when you contact Quaife I'd ask them what torque is required for those bolts and also if they recommend applying threadlock (like Loctite 243).

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
UPDATE!!!

PLEASE SEE THE ARP BOLT INSTRUCTIONS BELOW.

QUAIFE HAVE CONFIRMED THAT THE BOLTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED BY THEM AND THEY ARE JUST WAITING TO BOOK THEM IN FOR MODIFICATION. ONCE THEY ARE FINISHED THEY WILL BE DESPATCHED TO ME.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
So 40 ft lbs (54 nm) for the torque and any washers needed.

Good to receive all the instructions needed.
Does Quaife giving fiting instructions with Diff Michael?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hi Fred

All I know from them is that the original open diff needs to have the rivets that hold it on to the crown wheel drilled out and removed. then simply bolting the ATB on to the crown wheel.

Im sure that Quaife will have any further instructions required if you contact them.

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fiting instruction from oreca-store (very serious). In french with a lot of pics, easy to translate by Google Trad
If someone would like to do it by himself.

In attachement PDF (Word not allowed here)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Hi Steve

Quaife told me way back when that they had to drill out the rivets. I never questioned it, but I can contact them for clarity.

Cheers
M
Hi again Steve

I've just checked the PDF (english version) and it does mention drilling out rivets in point number 2.

M

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Hi Folks

AN UPDATE!!

I HAVE SOLD MY FIRST VW UP GTI ATB!

THIS WAS TO ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER. HE WILL RECEIVE IT TOMORROW AFTERNOON. I HAVE ASKED HIM IF HE WOULD KINDLY CONFIRM RECEIPT OF THE PACKAGE VIA THE FORUM.

THE GENTLEMAN WAS SO EXCITED TO HAVE THE DIFF THAT HE COULDN'T WAIT UNTIL THE EBAY PAGE IS UP AND RUNNING :)

THAT MEANS THAT THERE ARE 8 DIFFS AVAILABLE. I AM EXPECTING THE MODIFIED CROWN WHEEL BOLTS NEXT WEEK.

BEST WISHES
MICHAEL

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well done!

Arguably the best mod you can do if you are a real driver on real UK roads.... Traction under power when exiting a bend is worth a lot of "catch you up later" BHP or torque....

Ah, and I missed that bit in the PDF about drilling. I searched on 'rivet' which I think is the same word in French and English, but I may be wrong..! I was in any case puzzled why you have a French pdf for your new diffs! Might be better off making a german or nordic translations, in terms of the available market.... :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Oh, and why not offer a discount to a customer who can put together a good YouTube video on doing the conversion (saving you the trouble?), and a discount for the first customer who can video a decent "before and after" ad piece to help you sell to big tuning shops?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Hi Steve

Thank you for your supportive comments 👍

I believe there are 2 PDF’s. One that I forwarded from Quaife which originates from ARP in the US (English Version)

the other is from a Belgium 🇧🇪 Fourm member (French Version)

cheers
M

·
Registered
917 Posts
I like the idea, but will not be buying one for my weedy (but much liked) 75ps Citigo :(

All I'd say is that with a project like this, do not underestimate the value of trying to control all the available information, and ensuring your own original materials are unambiguously "official" (branded to you/your company), and well-produced. I am of course assuming that you see no need to stop at 10 units, right?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Oh, and why not offer a discount to a customer who can put together a good YouTube video on doing the conversion (saving you the trouble?), and a discount for the first customer who can video a decent "before and after" ad piece to help you sell to big tuning shops?
Thanks Steve

2 very interesting ideas! I am planning to use Vasstech (VW) in Knaresborough. They may not appreciate me standing behind them with a video phone :eek:, but I could ask them to describe the process and any tips they might have for other Forum members!

I would be happy to attempt to do some sort of "after" video but I might be considered biased :whistle:

Cheers
Michael

81 - 100 of 103 Posts