Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone , ive just purchased a VW Move Up 5 door , thrilled with it. Unfortunately though the heated screen has a problem ( 2 of the elements are not working ) I just wondered if any1 else has had this problem . The Vehicle is into the workshop friday under warranty but I suspect it may need a complete tailgate ! so another visit probable .

·
Registered
393 Posts
My experience tells me that it will only need a new rear screen. The connections in the 5th door will be fine. It's only the glass that's faulty.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With a lot of car brands, a car antenna integrated in the heated rear windscreen is being increasingly used for
reception purposes, as a means of avoiding the mechanical problems which
may arise with rod antennas. The objective in its design is not,
however, to find an optimum geometric shape for printing on the rear
windscreen, but rather to use the existing heater-demister as an
antenna.

See for example this patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US4736206 ("Windshield glass for a vehicle, having heating conductive wires and antenna wires").

I did not check my Black Up! regarding this aspect. However, for example my BMW manual expressly states: "Depending on your vehicle's equipment, the upper wires serve as an antenna and are not part of the rear window defroster." And indeed, two or three upper wires of the heated rear windscreen of my BMW do not defrost.

So check whether the upper wires of the heated rear windscreen of your Up! are antenna wires, prior to deciding to replace the rear window. If affirmative, you risk to have exactly the same phenomenon afterwards and you will realize that the tailgate/windscreen replacement was absolutely without reason !

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
811 Posts
Aha! That will be why my former BMW's heated rear window didn't fully work! Useful knowledge if rather late in my case.

I'm pretty certain that isn't the case with the Up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Related to that, I've always wondered why for very high frequency radio waves (like GPS signals), a quite small antenna is sufficient. For very low frequency radio waves (like DCF-77 atomic clock signals), again a very small antenna is sufficient.

Why is it then that FM radio - in-between those two above - needs long antennas?

·
Registered
532 Posts
there are a few designs for antenna depending on the requirement. (gain, space, directionality etc.)

Fixed antenna for FM with a fixed transmission antenna can be esigned for lots of gain, at the expense of directionality. car antenna need to be small, but omnidirectional.
Edited by: ducatikid

·
Registered
583 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
There's a sodding great big aerial on the roof of an up!, so I doubt it.
It'll be smaller for 2014 - officially as of week 22, might come earlier.

·
Registered
226 Posts
_1S_ said:
shakotanVIP said:
Sorry to sound stupid... but in actual dates when is week 22? Are there any other details of what MY14 may consist of?Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on the heated screen fault ! VW dealer will be changing the glass under warranty in a few weeks . The time delay is to make sure stock is available . No grief or troubles just a quick "we need to change the screen " . I will be thoroughly checking for any leaks afterwards due to it being bonded .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my up had a trouble right in the middle of the screen , it was obviously a screen fault but your always uncertain until confirmed

·
Registered
202 Posts
skyhigh said:
_1S_ said:
shakotanVIP said:
Sorry to sound stupid... but in actual dates when is week 22? Are there any other details of what MY14 may consist of?
week 22 is from the 27th of may,when my up should be built :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
scarja said:
skyhigh said:
_1S_ said:
shakotanVIP said:
Sorry to sound stupid... but in actual dates when is week 22? Are there any other details of what MY14 may consist of?
week 22 is from the 27th of may,when my up should be built :)
Ah, thanks. So is the smaller aeriel part of MY14 or just a routine update?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts