Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just got my '62 Up ASG back from dealer after a recall. I questioned the technician about difficulties with reverse not engaging and was informed that a new ECU had been installed.Now the car drives quietly and the auto gear changes are earlier and somewhat quicker - the ASG seems to be more responsive; it feels like a different car to drive.

The manual choice of gear is no longer shown in the speedometer display. The gears do change as they should - but there is no visual indication of this, unlike before.

Does anyone have more info on this 'recall' and the extent of the changes made?

Thank you - in anticipation!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Is this your first or second upgrade? Mine was done in April but I have not seen any changes to the display.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the second recall - the first was in June, I think.

I should have said that the speedometer display doesn't change when moving from auto to manual.
The display still shows D5, even though I am in Manual 3!

Reverse gear is still reluctant to engage...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If all this has started after the recent upgrade I don't think i will have it done. No problems getting reverse at the moment and the display is fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Peter. Very interesting. I drive a high up, but have just ordered a high up Automatic and would love to know if you are fine with it. I thought long and hard on whether to go down the auto route. but have now bitten the bullet and ordered. I would like to know what the ECU is and I assume that mine will have all the upgrades fitted as I do not get delivery until end Oct/ Nov
the ASG you say is now more responsive which was my main concern. sounds great. your reply will be eagerly awaited

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Beevee - the reluctance to engage reverse started just before the recall, so not due to whatever they did to my car. Rge effect of the recall is interesting, especially the gear changes - seem faster and to engage a higher gear sooner than it did. I'm pleased with it so far...

Hi Miketedl - I can't help with the ECU, as no details or numbers were given. As for the behaviour of the car all I can say is that it is different from any auto that I have owned, all of which used a conventional fluid clutch - VW, Mercedes, Rangerover etc.
The Up is smooth enough, but the small engine changes gear frequently to cope with inclines etc, and interestingly sounds as though it is 'double declutching' : a technique employed on heavy vehicles with manual gearboxes by ancient drivers ... My only reservation is the reluctance to accelerate at roundabouts and those occasions when a burst of power would be useful. but technique can get over this problem. The computer holds the car in gear if braking downhill, and generally seems to anticipate problems in a way that usually leaves me with a smile, as it behaves so differently from that I am accustomed to!
You have 'bitten the bullet' so my advice would be to enjoy the car, and let it do some of the thinking for you - if you prefer, you can always use the manual option - it's good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts