Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a few car sites this morning VW are putting an UP! based crossover into production.

Volkswagen are to add two new compact SUVs to their range below the Tiguan, expected to be the VW Up SUV and Cross Coupe.

There's no question that one of the biggest new markets for cars is the compact SUV. From the Nissan Juke to the Vauxhall Mokka to the Ford EcoSport there seems to be an endless appetite for butch little urban warriors.

According to the German business publication Handelsblatt today, VW are planning to build a VW Up SUV based on the Up Buggy concept and take the Cross Coupe Concept we saw at the Tokyo Motor Show in to production.

Handelsblatt has given no time frame for VW's two new SUVs, but with the market growing quickly and concepts already show it seems likely we could see production compact SUVs as early as 2013.
Read more: http://www.carsuk.net/vw-up-suv-cross-coupe-suv-to-go-in-to-production/

·
Registered
432 Posts
Interesting. All the manufacturers are scrambling for this new market segment now. Downsizing is all the rage

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
move up! said:
Interesting. All the manufacturers are scrambling for this new market segment now. Downsizing is all the rage
Do you think this is a consequence of high fuel prices? I've noticed that when I cruise along in lane 1 of the motorway at 60mph, I am not alone, and I do not get harassed. And since you ask, yes I try to maximise economy since I now commute 60 miles per day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What amazes me most is that Nissan of all the companies has been the first in both the small and medium SUV classes!! Quashqai and Duke have a lot to answer for!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
@leif: yes, i think high fuel prices, high VED and traffic congestion are driving downsizing.
Check out the Fiat 500L 7-seater, Fiat 500X, Audi Q2, Peugeot 2008, Renault small SUV (no name yet), MG Icon, Ford Ecosport, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts