Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[TUBE]Y-oeA_IKfQY[/TUBE]
Strength test of the hitch, and the strength of the VW UP in conjunction with our trailer hitch. This test was carried out at the company CFM Schiller GmbH in Roetgen and lasted about 96 hours. The test was positive.
Edited by: kbntinos

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cool!

·
Registered
727 Posts
kbntinos said:
Strength test of the hitch, and the strength of the VW UP in conjunction with our trailer hitch. This test was carried out at the company CFM Schiller GmbH in Roetgen and lasted about 96 hours.

The test was positive.

So why no hitch option...??

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'd have thought there is no hitch option due to the fact that it's a tiny little engined car? I mean, the hitch may be strong enough to not pull the back end off the car, but that doesn't mean to say that it would be safe enough to actually tow anything, what with lack of power and size? That would have been my guess anyway

·
Registered
583 Posts
20 years ago, cars under 1000kg were also towing trailers.

At least the 75HP up! isn't underpowered at all.
It should pull a light trailer with ease.

The EcoFuel up - which is 4 to 5 seconds slower to 100kph - may struggle a bit though due to lack of torque.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The 60 and 75 hp actually produce essentially the same max torque figures, I guess there is always the roof rack though?

·
Registered
265 Posts
In Denmark the Up! has been approved for pulling a trailer with a maximum weight of 750kgand yes, legal towbars are available for it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mulo said:
In Denmark the Up! has been approved for pulling a trailer with a maximum weight of 750kgand yes, legal towbars are available for it.
I know of the misterdotcom.de and identical smart-tow.co.uk hitches .
These are / should be legal in the entire EU.

Which other hitches are approved to actually tow ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts