Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how many Up! buyers are new to VW, and what make of cars they have bought in the past?

I guess many of us have had a number of VWs (our family total is 8 Polos, 1 Golf, 2 Jettas, 4 Passats),but what brand did you favour before that? I had a fair few Fordies before I saw the light

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It's just a car for me, and the brand has little significance. In my view the VW brand is created by advertising, which accounts for a large part of the purchase price e.g. 5%. It just happens to be a very good car.

This is my first VW, previously I had a Ford, and a Nissan. When I as young, my parents had a VW camper van. I have very fond memories of it, although a recent journey in a colleagues van was a disappointment. I think they were very spartan by today's standards.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
personally ive always been a VW fan, but then my first only and current car is a polo!

mum also has polo, she had peugeot before and ford before that. dad has a golf now, eos before that, then before he had MG, rover, vauxhall, fords etc etc.

my brother is a vauxhall fan, and still is, but his run around is a golf currently and was a polo before that.

so id say the current love for vw is definatly running in my family!

·
Registered
956 Posts
This is my first VW. I've had Renault, Ford, Fiat, Vauxhall, Ford, Fiat, Mercedes, Fiat, Fiat, Mercedes, Toyota.

How sad is that. Not only do I remember every car I've had, I also remember what order they're in!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've mainly driven Fords in the past, with the occasional Nissan and Renault thrown in.

I've never owned or driven a VW (beforemy Up)and hope my new car is as reliable as VWs are made out to be. The fit and finish of the car seems very good, even though corners have been cut here and there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is my first VW my previous car was a clapped out fiat sciento. My other half used to have a golf gti , he absolutly loved it and very reluctantly gave it up as it was too expensive on fuel. He persuaded mevto get the up as i was **** bent on getting a fiat 500 ..... Until i took the up for a test drive and was fell instantly on love

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Kat2110 said:
This is my first VW my previous car was a clapped out fiat sciento. My other half used to have a golf gti , he absolutly loved it and very reluctantly gave it up as it was too expensive on fuel. He persuaded mevto get the up as i was **** bent on getting a fiat 500 ..... Until i took the up for a test drive and was fell instantly on love
I think the Fiat 500 looks lovely, inside and out, very nice, but they
do say the Up has a better ride and drives better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This Black Up! is also my first Volkswagen. My previous cars were Opel Kadett 1.6 D (white), Opel Kadett 1.4 S (dark blue), Opel Astra 1.6i (caribbean blue) and Rover 75 2.0 V6 (midnight blue).

·
Registered
99 Posts
VW up! will be my first car ever, so I am a virgin in more ways. I have only driven a Toyota Dyna at work, as a delivery man, shortly after I got my drivers license in '97.

·
Registered
677 Posts
each car I've owned has always been something different, but this Up is my second VW !! I've owned a Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Smart and now a VW and I have to say I dont think I would buy anything other than VW or Smart ever again!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I have owned a variety of cars: Fords, Peugeots, a Renault 5 (the least said about that the better!!) a Toyota MR2 (Mk 2) and several VW's.

The Up will be a second car, the main one for my missus

·
Registered
142 Posts
A few of the cars I have previously owned are: Opel, Ford (x2), Vauxhall (x2), Daihatsu, Mitsubishi (x2), Suzuki (x2) Smart (x2). Looking back I have only just realised the x2 thing!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
As I work for a German company all our fleet vehicles are VW/Audi/BMW, so I have previously had VW company cars (I am now office based so no longer have a company car), but this is the first VW I have owned as a private vehicle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is my first VW - I previously drove my husband''s Audi A3 convertible which he still has, a BMW Z4, BMW convertible mini cooper (when they first came out) several Mazda MX-5s Sports which I loved to name but a few
But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my VW up! Our son has always had VWs and even his wife has a beetle

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Melody said:
This is my first VW - I previously drove my husband''s Audi A3 convertible which he still has, a BMW Z4, BMW convertible mini cooper (when they first came out) several Mazda MX-5s Sports which I loved to name but a few
But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my VW up! Our son has always had VWs and even his wife has a beetle
Given the class acts that you have driven, the fact that you love the Up is a very positive vote in its favour.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a string of Peugeots at the time when they were worth buying for the way they drove but I eventually got fed up with them falling apart and switched to VW. Been driving VWs for 13 years now but I have had my fair share of problems including a £2500 gearbox issue with my Passat.... they're good cars but not really that much better than most other modern marques nowadays.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts