Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I finally got my W8 Passat interior light and adapter wire harness today, so I thought I would do a "how to" fitting guide for anybody who wants to do this modification.

Here are the parts as they arrived.

Here is the light un-boxed.

This is the wire harness with both connectors visible. (Sorry it's a bit out of focus)

I then prepared the wire harness for joining. I used heat shrink to cover the solder joint and used the soldering iron to shrink it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
my up hasnt arrived yet so could you explain what's different from that light to the original? Or show with a pick of the original :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems I've already filled up the maximum amount of images already. I'll have to do a part 2 and reduce the image size.
Sorry about that folks.

Matt

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys, but I'm stuck. I can't seem to download any more images. I'll see if I can create a "presentation" or something later or tomorrow, unless somebody has got any ideas.

Matt

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just up load them to photo bucket it's free and quite easy to use after uploading pics once and if you use a iPad only way to upload pics on here

If struggling to up load pm me and email them to me and I will upload for you
Regards
Ian

·
Registered
462 Posts
scarja said:
my up hasnt arrived yet so could you explain what's different from that light to the original? Or show with a pick of the original :)
Has led in it so gives you ambient lighting and think has more lights in it too but don't quote me in the last bit

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all. Cheers Ian, I'll have a look. The difference is that the original light had a single bulb, and a small slider for door opening, on & off. The W8 has 4 bulbs, 2 for interior light, 2 map lamps & 2 red led mood lights and it's all back lit red to match the dash.

Matt

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
looks great. How much do the lights cost?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all. I will try and get the "how to guide" finished today if I can work out how to upload the rest of the photo's. Sorry about the delay but I've been very busy.
Hi Rednaxela. The interior light was £46.99, plus £4.99 postage. Here's the link:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Passat-W8-Light-Golf-Bora-Skoda-Leon-Ambient-LED-/150971361187?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23269827a3

The wire harness adapter was £14.99 and £1.99 postage. Here's the link for that :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-BORA-PASSAT-W8-Light-Wiring-Loom-Adapter-R32-FR-/160810281543?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25710a2a47

I'm very impressed at how much smarter it looks than the original and the fact that it is back lit red to match the dash lights, and also has 2 red led mood lights.

A bargain if you ask me!

Matt
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the links. When you test it in the dark, do the ambient lights show the door controls enough to locate them?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Rednaxela. The mood lights only shine down the center console, not the sides.

·
Registered
462 Posts
M4796P said:
Hi all. I will try and get the "how to guide" finished today if I can work out how to upload the rest of the photo's. Sorry about the delay but I've been very busy.
Hi Rednaxela. The interior light was £46.99, plus £4.99 postage. Here's the link:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Passat-W8-Light-Golf-Bora-Skoda-Leon-Ambient-LED-/150971361187?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23269827a3

The wire harness adapter was £14.99 and £1.99 postage. Here's the link for that :-
<a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25710a2a47" rel="nofollow">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-BORA-PASSAT-W8-Light-Wiring-Loom-Adapter-R32-FR-/160810281543?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25710a2a47</a>

I'm very impressed at how much smarter it looks than the original and the fact that it is back lit red to match the dash lights, and also has 2 red led mood lights.

A bargain if you ask me!

Matt
I look forward to seeing the how to fit guide !

How long did it take to fit ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Ian. It only took about 30 minutes to do. I've been having problems getting the photo's on the website. It's all ready to view, but I can't seem to get the bloody thing to download? I'll have a look in a bit when I can get to my laptop.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Is there a part number on the part the attaches to wiring loom of the car?
If so any chance of you tell us it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Gary. Unfortunately there wasn't any part number on the part. I've just re-checked on ebay and I can't find any part number information for it at all.
Sorry about that, but I'll have a look in a bit for you. I'm just about to have another go at putting the fitting instructions on here.

Cheers.

Matt

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the photo ink for the original interior light.

Here is the link for the W8 interior light.

Lets hope this works!!!!!!!!

Matt

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully I'm there!!!!!!! sorry about all the posts guys and girls.

This is the original interior light.

Matt

·
Registered
226 Posts
The new light certainly looks much nicer. It doesn't have the big empty expanse of plastic that the standard one has.Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers mate. Now I've got it sorted for the photo's I'll finally be able to post the how to guide, but probably in the morning now.

Matt

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right then. Here is part 2 of the W8 fitting guide.
Here goes.
Removing and fitting the new parts to your car.

Then you need to remove the 2 screws from the interior light body.

Next the main body needs to be removed from the headliner. Make sure that you do not damage the metal retaining ring that runs around the periphery of the headlining.

Remove the wire harness connector from the interior light main body.

Next the "A" pillar has to be removed.

Next remove the instrument panel side garnish.

The next step is to remove the headlamp switch.

Start the wiring process by feeding the cable trough the headlining to the "A" pillar.

Then pull the cable down the "A" pillar down to the instrument panel and through the light switch hole.

When the cable has been pulled through, cut to length.

Then connect the wire from the interior light to the greyish, white and blue wire.

Next connect the "male" wire harness adapter to the roof wire harness "female" connector.

Then connect the wide flat male wire harness adapter connector to the new W8 interior light.

Confirm that the interior light works, then do a full test later.

Here goes the re-fitting.
To re-fit, you need to move the right hand foam block so that the wire harness can slide back enough to fit correctly into the headlining.

Secure the wire to the "A" pillar wire harness to prevent any annoying abnormal noises.

Next re-fit the "A" pillar garnish.

Next fit the instrument panel side garnish.

Then finesse the door opening seal from the headlining to the base of the A" pillar garnish, or any other area that the seal is tucked in.

Re-fit the headlamp switch in reverse to it's removal.

<a href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Lastly carry out a full interior light confirmation.

Job done!

I hope this helps anybody interested in doing this modification.

I know it sounds cheeky, but please thank me if this is useful to you.
Cheers.

Matt

1 - 20 of 31 Posts