Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for my new, red Move Up! to arrive, having been told that it is in Emden awaiting shipping. The extras I have ordered are a full-sized spare wheel, winter pack and sensor pack. This car has been purchased to assuage some of the guilt I feel over driving a 3.0 Touareg and to give my son something to drive when he is old enough, in a year or so.

NickEdited by: NickInSurrey

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Nick and a warm welcome! Good choice there! The Up will be superb for your son to learn in as it's so nice and easy to drive. Which engine output did you go for? The 60BHP or 75BHP?.
Your car shouldn't be too much longer, but it's the wait that's the killer
. I hope it isn't too long for you though.

Matt

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Nick. That is exactly the same spec as mine. You will enjoy it I am sure.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Nick. The 60BHP BMT will certainly go a long way to doing that. I've got the 75 BHP BMT and it's a little gem! I get between 400 and 450 miles out of a tank, and on average 65 MPG going to work when it's quiet, and 55 MPG coming home which is mostly uphill and heavy traffic.
My personal best, so far is 73.4 MPG on a trip to work the other week according to the M&M display, but this can be a bit mis-leading. As you add the miles, the fuel economy improves as it loosens up.

The Stop/Start works really well. It's super quick to re-start your car when you dip your clutch. Don't forget that, as long as the car is in neutral with the clutch out the Stop/Start will work. You don't always have to apply the handbrake, but as long as it's not too cold, or the battery temperature is too high/low or your using lots of energy sapping equipment it will work very efficiently.
Mine has only done this a handful of times, and that was mostly when there was freezing temperatures and the car was barely even warm.

Enjoy it when it turns up, you'll find it will be a cracking little car!

Matt

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shakotanVIP said:
NickInSurrey said:
The 60 BHP BMT - trying to do what I can for the environment!

Nick

You don't actually believe all that nonsense, do you?

I'm all for running a frugal car from the money saving perspective, but the whole MMGW thing is a massive amount of spin and mis-information.
There is nothing to do with "spin and misinformation" when you compare the emissions from a 3.0 V6 diesel at the 25MPG I get from my 4x4 (probably less in town) to what I expect from the Up! You can stick a pipe on the exhaust and measure it. Whatever version of global warming you choose to take to be "fact", this is irrelevant to the measurable degradation in air quality in areas of heavy traffic in our town centres.

As for saving money, it would take a long time for me to recover the cost of buying and running a second car so that is not the issue. Ignoring the depreciation of both vehicles and the insurance for the Up!, a fuel price differential of £0.15 per mile means that I would need to cover in excess of 65,000 miles to cover the cost of the second car. As I would envisage covering about 6,000 miles per annum, the payback time is a little excessive. Clearly, where I would save more money is if I were to sell the Touareg but this is not an option for when I need 5 seats or have to tow a horse trailer.

Nick

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just checked the delivery status. My car is now with the dealer so I am awaiting delivery

NickEdited by: NickInSurrey

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Lambo-27. That must be a killer! How come have you got to wait twice?

Matt

·
Registered
811 Posts
NickInSurrey said:
I am expecting delivery tomorrow (Friday).

Nick

Fantastic! You will have a good weekend then. Sunny weather too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...arrived lunchtime by driven delivery within 5 minutes of the agreed time.
Beautifully red, our Italian student thinks it looks like a baby Ferrari - is that a compliment?? The BMT took me a bit by surprise as I am unused to sudden silences but it is even nicer to drive than I remember from driving a loan Up! whilst my Touareg was in for a service.

Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts