Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a piece of good information if you have a 2nd remote key. I now have mine and it works fine. My dealer told me that the original spare key is now redundant. It can be used to unlock the car but it MUST NOT be used to try to start the engine as the car will get "confused" by this key now. I suppose it must have something to do with the new key being coded to the car. I know that when it was sorted out they have to have an uplink to Germany to do it.

Hope this is helpful to those who didn't know

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
oh really? my dealer didnt mention that, not that I use the other spare key anymore now i have the remote one, but i wouldnt wana get stuck if i did use it...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I didn't know this, my dealer never mentioned a thing. I've also got a plastic key too! I don't even know if the plastic key can be used to start the car, but if it can I assume this shouldn't be used either Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bugbabe34 said:
I didn't know this, my dealer never mentioned a thing. I've also got a plastic key too! I don't even know if the plastic key can be used to start the car, but if it can I assume this shouldn't be used either

Why do you have a plastic key? I don't know about that

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
sometimes they come with a plastic key if you need to leave a key with someone to get into the car but not let them be able to start the engine!

·
Registered
553 Posts
We picked up our extra key the other day and didn't get told anything about not starting the car with the '3rd' key!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have no idea why I have a plastic key. But I now have that, a normal key and two remote keys

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They did have all my keys when they coded the new key. I assumed it was to sort them all out!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yeah, they had all mine too... maybe i shall ring my dealer and check if that means i can or cant use the thrid key...

·
Registered
66 Posts
With the 3 keys you could open, close doors and start the engine.
It's a joke from your dealer or the coding was not done properly ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can confirm that all 3 keys work for me.

As soon as I got home from getting my 2nd remote key, I gave the 3rd key to my eldest son, and I can confirm that he has used it and it has worked as expected, both unlocking the drivers door and starting the engine.

When they did the coding of the 2nd key, they had all keys available.

As far as I can tell all 3 keys work as expected.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't have the normal key with me when the coding was done... that could be why they said not to use it but then again I don't plan to use it anyway!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
When any key or remote coding is done, ALL keys have to be present.

This is the same with all models.

S

·
Registered
66 Posts
If they don't encode the 3 keys, they make half job...

·
Registered
956 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
When any key or remote coding is done, ALL keys have to be present.

This is the same with all models.

S

I have two remote keys and one manual. When I went to the dealer to get my second key coded, they never asked me to take the manual one with me and no-one mentioned that I shouldn't use the manual key any longer.

·
Registered
956 Posts
filparis15 said:
If they don't encode the 3 keys, they make half job...

Now I'm really confused. Apologies if I'm being the world's biggest numpty but how do you code a manual key?

Surely if this was possible, there would have been no problems for anyone who wanted a 2nd remote key, they dealer could simply have coded the manual one.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The manual key still has electronics inside it that chats to the car when it's in the ignition to verify its the pucker key and not a screwdriver.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Rednaxela said:
The manual key still has electronics inside it that chats to the car when it's in the ignition to verify its the pucker key and not a screwdriver.

Ah, right. Thanks Alex, I wasn't aware of that, although seems obvious now you've said it. So that's the something new I've learned today

1 - 20 of 29 Posts