Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having just recieved my UP back from the dealer, they aay that I have 'warped break discs' and that it is my fault. When I quoted that others had the same problem they said they had not heard of the hub issues. If you can help by naming the dealer who found yout hub problem this would literally same me hours of arguing. I want to build a case against VW and hopefully in the future help anyone who may come across this pain in the arse.

Please help of you can

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
when mine warped at 30,000 miles, VW paid 75% of discs and pads as goodwill.

good luck with your quest

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi PrivateDoc,

Thanks for the info, firstly they said they would pay 70%. 50% VW a nd 20% JCT600, then JCT changed their mind and said they would gove 7%. I simply want to sort this as I am sick as VW using their get out clauses. I just hope someone has a dealer who identified their hub allignment issue, so I can at least get it checked as they wont check it for me at the moment. Thank you again

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mine warped after only a couple of thousand miles and it was eventually definitely identified as a misaligned hub causing the problem. I guess at higher mileages it might be harder to get them to check, but I've sent you my dealers name and I hope they can help you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've just bought a 1 year old Mii and I think the dealer fitted new pads before sale, however after a few days use I now have a pulsing sensation when braking. Could this also be warped brake discs?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My up has a 'pulsing' on when braking at very low speeds, I don't believe its warped as it doesn't have any vibration or judder when breaking above 15mph

I would take it in but it's being swapped this week for other reasons so I'll just mention it when I give it back.

I wonder if the hill assist has something to do with this misalignment problem, afterall if the car is being held on the brakes and you're accelerating up a hill it must be pulling something? I know I use hill assist every day as I leave work and it doesn't release as soon as I apply the gas and always waits the full 2 seconds on 'full bite' before I can move.

Edited by: pumpy55

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 'pulsing' effect when brakin, it's characteristic of when it comes into action the ABS.

One of the causes of damage to the brake discs, is the income of sand or pebbles, between the disc and the brake pads.
To my UP! it happened once I took it to the car wash shop, andwhen you remove it from the washing, appeared a noise on the brake of the front right wheel, by the input of particles like sand. I did not realize at the time, to move the car in reverse to take out the particles betwen the discs and the top border of brake pads.

One cause of particle entry is that the brake caliper is located at the front of the axle, and for that reason, the particles by gravity remain on the top border of the brake pads, and with the movement it goes between them and the brake disc, producing stripes on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That makes sense, but I've had abs on all my cars and never felt the pulsing, it also wasn't there for the first 1500 miles.

It's getting more noticeable as my passengers are now 'feeling' it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
pumpy55 said:
That makes sense, but I've had abs on all my cars and never felt the pulsing, it also wasn't there for the first 1500 miles.

It's getting more noticeable as my passengers are now 'feeling' it.
The pulsations of the abs, appear only when you brake with a lot of pressure on the pedal.

Regards

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have so recently noticed this pulsing on mine, nearly two years old and sub 20,000 miles.
I'm not convinced it's warping though as it causes no judder or vibration from higher speeds. That said, I've no ideas what it is!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get your dealership to check the run out of the hub's as I know of 2/3 cars that have had them replaced. However, ours needed discs/pads which cost me £120!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recon it's the hubs, I had my car replaced at about 3000miles for another reason and the model doesn't do it - certainly something a miss!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The hubs are very rare for pretty much all VW's to go and very rarely replaced however I know of 2/3 Up's! that have had them replaced for that issue and it has been rectified

·
Registered
26 Posts
The pulsing sensation could be from brake pad deposit on the disc. If you look at the disc, is there a brake pad shaped outline?

Sometimes this occurs if the pads and discs weren't properly bedded in, and I suspect the hill holder could be an issue in this regard..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
More and more drivers are no longer using the handbrake but prefer to keep the pressure on the brake pedal. Braking generates a lot of heat and I wonder if using the handbrake is advantageous in dissipating the heat. Could it be that by keeping the foot brake on causes the pads and discs to maintain heat and lead to warping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Beevee said:
More and more drivers are no longer using the handbrake but prefer to keep the pressure on the brake pedal. Braking generates a lot of heat and I wonder if using the handbrake is advantageous in dissipating the heat. Could it be that by keeping the foot brake on causes the pads and discs to maintain heat and lead to warping.

I read and saw tons of info on this matter when I changed discs and pads on both my mx5 and my girlfriends 330d. What I learned is that what you're saying is almost spot on. However, in most cases it's not actual warping of the disc, but uneven deposits of pad material. When you brake you obviously generate a lot of heat, and some pad material will transfer to the disc. It's the friction between the material on the pad and the deposited material on the disc that generates stopping power. If you don't let go of the pedal when you come to a complete stop, the brake pad will deposit extra material in a ridge like manner across the disc, and this can be felt in the pedal when you brake, but not necessarily in the steering wheel, and especially when going at slow speeds.
To prevent this, the pads and discs needs bedding in, by bringing the car up to about 110-120 kmh, and stopping hard just below the point where the abs kicks in, and just until you come down to about 10 kmh, then let go of the brakes and repeat 10 times.. Finish by taking a longish trip to let the brakes cool as they get HOT :)
Of course, if the discs run really hot, and you keep applying pressure to them when the car is stopped, the heat won't dissipate and you can warp the disc. This can be felt in both pedal and steering wheel..

1 - 20 of 64 Posts