Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Up is 15 months old and has done 8,300 miles . Took it to the dealer who confirmed the front discs were warped but have been told that they are not covered under warranty as it is considered a wearable part . They are going to try and get a " contribution " towards their replacement from VW as wearable parts are only covered for 6 Months . Seems to me the warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on , shame really because I am really pleased otherwise

·
Registered
251 Posts
Have you removed and replaced the wheels? Not tightening the bolts to the correct torque can cause the discs to warp. A more likely cause is too much heat from hard braking...Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just get the discs skimmed. Its probably not warped just has lots of pad friction material stuck too it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
careful said:
My Up is 15 months old and has done 8,300 miles . Took it to the dealer who confirmed the front discs were warped but have been told that they are not covered under warranty as it is considered a wearable part .
Another one ...

Sure they are wearable parts ... but they should not be worn or warped in a mere 8300 miles.

If it were to happen to mine, I won't be fitting VW parts unless they're coughing up for them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
As mentioned in other threads on this subject, they are prone to warping or alignment issues. Up close the discs look naff, probably crap material.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Same prob here, needed new discs and pads due to warping........mind you I'd done 31,000 miles in 14 months...

I complained to dealer who asked VW for a contribution and they came back and offered to cover 75% of the cost ie I paid £69 for new pads and discs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My other half had replacement discs after 7 months and 10,000 miles. VW offered 50 percent and the garage 25 percent and we discussed it with them until they agreed they were in fact incorrect and were going to offer 100 percent. About three months later the brakes were vibrating like crazy again. New discs again then the garage discovered a new hub was required and was the cause of the discs warping. Took them about 6 weeks to get the parts (unbelievable but they were waiting for a 'special paste') Anyway, touch wood all seems ok now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latest news they have agreed to pay 60% of cost , still not happy but have to have it done and then try and take it further

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good News , after contacting VW UK direct they agreed that this wasn't fair wear and tear and the Dealer has refunded the money we paid to get them replaced . Just shows if you keep on and don't just accept what they say at first you can get a fair resolution to the problem

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think most of the garages don't no nothing about nothing there's not many proper mechanics around ,they would skim the disc sand down the shoes ,it doesn't happen because they don't know ,or they are told to renew every think ,because the customer will always pay pay pay ! Phill

·
Registered
303 Posts
sounds like there is a common problem with the front brakes either overheating or depositing exess material on the discs!

·
Registered
8 Posts
On the Dutch Up forum there are several drivers with the same problems. One had two or three sets of discs replaced; each time after about 6k miles. In the end the dealer had find out that the warped discs were caused by faulty, wobbly hubs, on which the discs are mounted.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Bossphillip said:
I think most of the garages don't no nothing about nothing there's not many proper mechanics around ,they would skim the disc sand down the shoes ,it doesn't happen because they don't know ,or they are told to renew every think ,because the customer will always pay pay pay ! Phill
Discs have a minimum thickness so if they are worn and warped they may not be up to re-machining and the mechanic could not machine them so to send them away to be machined would cost
more than new discs !

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discs are so cheap now why would anyone even consider trying to repair warped ones? Surely the labour charged to perform this task would make it uneconomical especially if they were faulty anyway.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I can confirm the story of misaligned hubs. My car had 2 new sets of discs in the first 5k miles before a smart technician figured out the problem and requested 'special equipment' from VW which identified the misalignment. I've had no trouble since. (On 20k now)

·
Registered
12 Posts
What are the signs that led you to take the car in? I've had my up since October (6,000 miles) have had it in twice for front breaks whining/squealing on hard breaking for the first few miles every morning.

I'm told everything is fine...?

·
Registered
303 Posts
for me it was very noticeable pulsing on the brake pedal and steering wheel shaking, under braking

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes you are correct ,I was just stating a Fact by the way it was about forty five years ago when discs and pads were very
Expensive .and hard to come by ,these days parts are cheap cheap .but the labour is very very very expensive
And that's where the garages are taking the. P!!S out of the motorists Regards Phill

Discs have a minimum thickness so if they are worn and warped they may not be up to re-machining and the mechanic could not machine them so to send them away to be machined would cost

1 - 20 of 28 Posts