Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off I want to make it clear that I don't have an up! As of yet, but I am seriously considering buying one in the winter when I can get a good price for my current car (Landrover defender)

As for the warranty questions, does anyone know how fitting a set of coilovers and non-VW alloys would affect the warranty? This would be my first brand new car hence why I am not sure of warranty terms and conditions

Cheers, Hamill

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Why don't you upgrade to whatever VW alloys you want and get the sports suspension? You will have no worries with the warranty

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None of the VW alloys tickle my fancy, I'm picky, and the sports suspension is only a 15mm drop if I'm not mistaken? I would like a wee bit more, like 40-50mm

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Loving the triangle alloys? You no like?

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
The lowering will give VAG a reason to blame any mechanical problems on non-authorised mods so essentially it will be bye-bye warranty

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't think you can lower it by that much and expect VW to validate the warranty. Any excuse, much like the insurance

·
Registered
235 Posts
As PrivateDoc says, if anything goes wrong VW, like any other manufacturer, won't want to know if they believe any modifications have caused it - and after the first two years, don't forget the dealer picks up the responsibility for the third year warranty, so don't expect much support from them either.

Presumably you will be declaring the mods to your insurers - or they could well dis-own you too, in the event of a claim.

I've modified cars in the past - you just have to accept the potential costs/consequences.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So basically any geabox, engine, or suspension issues they won't give a **** about, hmmm pheraps I won't be looking as fly in a lowered up! As I thought I would
Back to looking for a lupo! Lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think the real question here is why on earth would you fit non-standard suspension components to an eco-box car. If you had a Land Rover Defender or an RX-7 and wanted to do some serious off-road/fast circuit use, then fine you can justify that. But the up! is a little 3 cylinder ecobox. you are not going to improve performance by changing components in this manner.

step away from the car. you will just ruin it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Some folks just like to have a car that's a bit more 'individual' - there's nothing wrong with that. Modifying a new car though, that makes me cringe to say the least.

Why not buy something older, say three years old or so, and then you only have to worry about getting insurance if you modify it. The benefit to using an older car is that there will be more aftermarket parts available and the prices may be lower too. It may be an obvious suggestion but what about the previous generation Polo GTI, for example?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Firstly the reason I want to put after market suspension parts on it is because I only know of 2 with it done so far, neither in the UK, so it'll be very unique, for about a year or two, then a lot of people will buy it, strip it out, lower the feck out of it and I will be able to say "I was one of the first"

Secondly, I'm 17, it's in my blood to want a decked car with bbs alloys...

I've been searching for a lupo for about 6 months to do the same thing with, but then the up! Caught my eye and why not want basically the newer version of the lupo (not counting the fox) I was only asking how it would affect the warranty, I know all about insurance issues with mofied cars

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lambo-27 said:
Firstly the reason I want to put after market suspension parts on it is because I only know of 2 with it done so far, neither in the UK, so it'll be very unique, for about a year or two, then a lot of people will buy it, strip it out, lower the feck out of it and I will be able to say "I was one of the first"

Secondly, I'm 17, it's in my blood to want a decked car with bbs alloys...

I've been searching for a lupo for about 6 months to do the same thing with, but then the up! Caught my eye and why not want basically the newer version of the lupo (not counting the fox) I was only asking how it would affect the warranty, I know all about insurance issues with mofied cars

Well to start off, my car is lowered to the maximum currently available. You can only get springs at the moment that lower it 40mm, there are no coilovers that fit straight on but as soon as there are I will be putting them on ha
there is another member on here called Neil who also has his lowered however, hes modified some Polo coilovers and managed to drop it a lot more - it looks amazing! I'll stick a picture up for you in a minute...

P.S - we are both in the UK lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is mine at 40mm

And this is Neils, like I said I'm not sure exactly how low it is...

And I'm just being told KW have released some in the last week that go up to 60mm so may have to look into those!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gonna make the call in the morning but I guess they'll be pushing £1k, they do look ace though!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fitting aftermarket suspension will void the suspension warranty but who would try to make a warranty claim for suspension knowing they had fitted aftermarket parts? You get a warranty with your new coilovers so the onus would lie with the suspension manufacturer...
Cant see VW blaming coilovers if the wipers stopped working??

I think mines lowered around 60mm so would give you an idea how low you could be with the KWs in the link above. I'm gonna wait for some -100mm, shouldn't be long

·
Registered
118 Posts
nEiL! said:
Fitting aftermarket suspension will void the suspension warranty but who would try to make a warranty claim for suspension knowing they had fitted aftermarket parts? You get a warranty with your new coilovers so the onus would lie with the suspension manufacturer...
Cant see VW blaming coilovers if the wipers stopped working??

I think mines lowered around 60mm so would give you an idea how low you could be with the KWs in the link above. I'm gonna wait for some -100mm, shouldn't be long

I think you have some serious lowering issues Neil ha!
Your car looks stunning though so its alright...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd guest at between 800 and a grand Ashy for the KWs and I think I do Freya! Yours is lookin good too, keep it Up!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha that's awesome! Love the look of it lowered, maybe I'll be the first in N.I? Lol and Neil that's a very good point concerning the warranty... An up! Might be back on the cards! xD

So the Coilovers are going to be 800-1000 you guys are guessing?

And Neil, could you keep me in the loop if there are any -100mm coily's coming out, if that isn't too much to ask
Edited by: Lambo-27

1 - 20 of 30 Posts