Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First drive in rain today and wipers were a nightmare!

Big wiper on drivers side judders badly. Smaller one on passenger side judders slightly. Rear wiper also judders.

Can only assume the washer fluid put in by the dealer/factory (not sure which does the initial fill) is absolute rubbish.

Either that or we have 3 dodgy wiper blades which seems improbable.

Anyone else experienced this?

Edited by: VWXYZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
You definitely have something strange going on. All my wipers are as smooth and effective as they could be!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
VWXYZ said:
First drive in rain today and wipers were a nightmare!

Big wiper on drivers side judders badly. Smaller one on passenger side judders slightly. Rear wiper also judders.
Have you applied any sort of water beading agents or wax to the windscreen? Washed your car at a car wash recently? Often water repellants and or liquid waxes are spayed over the entire vehicle at the end of the wash. These products can cause jittery wiping action as the blades slide across the windscreen.
On my last car I had applied a water repellant to the windscreen only to regret it when during light showers my wiper blades would do a spastic dance while trying to remove the water. I tried unsuccessfully 8 years to remove that crap from my windscreen but never could get it all off (will never make that mistake on my up!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Mine juddered a little bit to start off with, but after a few days they started working properly. Maybe because of protective wax coating on the glasses? Don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Trying cleaning the wipers with some IPA, or of you don't have that some white vinegar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Mine were really juddery for a time as well, but after a week or so of use they went normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
bazves said:
Trying cleaning the wipers with some IPA, or of you don't have that some white vinegar

Cleaning the wipers in beer? That's novel!

Nick
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
mine have worked fine, once when I used a different cleaning product on the windscreen it juddered the first time I used them after... so i think sometimes it can be that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A tale of mixed fortune.

Lovely wife toddles off to dealer today. Took them 1 hour to replace rear wiper and adjust the front blades. They road tested the car and reported all was well. 2.5 hour trip all in. Wife drives home and guess what... the front wipers are even worse.

I had a look when she got home and (its been raining all day her) the wipers were jumping all over the place.

Irate call to dealer and I drove straight over. Had the service guy out the front of the garage to look at the car and he agreed that the wipers were crap. They were not sure what was causing the problem or what to do about it either.

Much umming and aaahing and they were scratching their heads. Eventually they decided to replace both front blades.

Fixed!

Mystery!

4.5 hours wasted in total - not really that happy as VW have fallen over at the first hurdle as far as I am concerned.

At least they work fine now.


Edited by: VWXYZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
did you try cleaning them with a product or even vinegar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Sounds like 'fallout' problem to me, something airborne has effected the lubrification of the blades over the glass, do you live near a railway line (brakes from trains produced air based iron deposits) trees... Saps and pollen sugars, or airport (av fuel exhaust) all can cause this sticky blade effect.

Wipe wash blades regularly with vinegar, and use a fine 'detailers cley' on your glass to remove particle fallout that cannot be removed by washing the car alone.

This will make your blades skim the glass freely againEdited by: Markmod1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
I agree... Good clean of the blades would have fixed it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Excellent advice from Markmod1


I do that every couple of months, and it also helps you see much better through the screen too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update.

Wipers have worked fine since they were fitted - we have had quite a few showers since the new ones were put on.

However...

...last night the screenwash was used for the first time and bang the **** things are now jittering all over the place again.

Can only assume the screenwash supplied is not so good?

Any recommendations for a good product + how to empty the reservoir?

Going to clay the screen and take the blades off and thoroughly clean them.

Little things like this take the edge off getting a new car!

Thanks for all the advice. Just to say that since we have lived here (14 years) we have had 9 new cars on the drive and not one has had a juddery wiper blade so I do not think it is a local environment issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
I am using vw window stuff still, works fine, as I said you are parking somewhere with fallout.

Wash, and cley the screen, clean your blades and you will find all is ok again


...for a while... Check where you are parking... Under trees, next to railway station, powerstation, Chernobyl ... You know the drill...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
VWXYZ said:
Update.

Wipers have worked fine since they were fitted - we have had quite a few showers since the new ones were put on.

However...

...last night the screenwash was used for the first time and bang the **** things are now jittering all over the place again.

Can only assume the screenwash supplied is not so good?

Any recommendations for a good product + how to empty the reservoir?

Going to clay the screen and take the blades off and thoroughly clean them.

Little things like this take the edge off getting a new car!

Thanks for all the advice. Just to say that since we have lived here (14 years) we have had 9 new cars on the drive and not one has had a juddery wiper blade so I do not think it is a local environment issue.
Maybe the dealer put in the wrong concentration of screenwash?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have clay-barred screen + cleaned with Duragloss Nu-Glass. Wipers cleaned with IPA. All is fine again.

***


@ Markmod1 - I hear what you are saying but the car is parked/used exactly where all our other cars have been parked/used.

There was nothing wrong with the new wipers until the precise moment that we used screenwash. They had been used maybe a dozen times since replacement a week or so back and were bang on. As soon as the wash fluid hit the screen they started kicking off!

***

Have bought a different wash but we cannot drain the reservoir - the filler tube disappears under the engine - I thing the reservoir is in Australia?


Absolutely loathe to use the jets with the VW stuff in there.


Edited by: VWXYZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
If changing the wash fixes it.. It can only mean one or two solutions (forgive the pun) either your dealer is using the wrong dilution of the washer concentrate... Or they are 'saving' on their costs by using inferior, non vw approved wash solution (naughty of them, and bad business practice, because what else are they saving their costs on? Cheaper non vw Oil... Non vw Brake fluid?... Time spent servicing cars correctly?)


I doubt, as you infer in your post, that the dealer is using inferior wash solution. It wouldn't be worth the risk for a vw dealership to use, spec non vw parts, and consumables I think you will find.

As I said I have vw wash solution in mine, I bought it from the dealer so I know it's the real deal, and if diluted correctly, isn't the root of your problem I can assure you...

Which can only leave the wrong concentration use... It will be interesting to see if changing solution fixes your problem
Edited by: Markmod1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Markmod1 said:
If changing the wash fixes it.. It can only mean one or two solutions (forgive the pun) either your dealer is using the wrong dilution of the washer concentrate... Or they are 'saving' on their costs by using inferior, non vw approved wash solution (naughty of them, and bad business practice, because what else are they saving their costs on? Cheaper non vw Oil... Non vw Brake fluid?... Time spent servicing cars correctly?)


As I said I have vw wash solution in mine, I bought it from the dealer so I know it's the real deal, and if diluted correctly, isn't the root of your problem I can assure you...

I am a bit suspicious of what they are using tbh - they shouldn't beahve like this (the wipers).
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top