Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for my Up! To arrive and as it is my first new car I want to take care of it as eat as I can from the start obviously to maintain its value better but also because I love the car so much (not in the weird way you see some on tv with the exhaust and stuff)
I wash and detail clean my current car that I got as a hand-me-down from my brother and it is in a pretty poor state to be honest but I enjoy cleaning the car etc and have a bit of OCD with keeping my car clean.
So I have a few questions regarding the cleaning process and products I need to use.
I use autoglym products at the moment but have been hearing a lot of hype surrounding the dodo juice products and wondered whether anyone could recommend these or compare them without me buying all of there versions of the autoglym range.
Also is there anything I need to do with the first wash of the car e.g waxing etc and what products to use from autoglym regarding this and also how would you wah the car I.e order or wet, soap, lather, foam etc and the products you prefer?

Sorry it is such an essay and I am grateful for any advice even if it is somewhere I can go to on the detailing world forum etc

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would start this way -

Wheels first rinse/wash/rinse.

Rinse the car down with a pressure washer or open hose.

Wash with a clean bucket of your chosen shampoo. Use a different mitt from the one you clean your wheels with. Start from the top and work down. Good idea to change the water if it's really grubby. You don't want to drag grit round the car.

Good rinse, then dry the car with soft microfiber towel. I mist quick detailer as I dry.

Dry wheels with clean microfibers. Lastly I would wipe the door shuts and seals.

As for polish and wax, I would start off with autoglym super resin polish then finish with a wax.

Dodo make some nice products, but you can get cheaper products that will do the job. The waxes go on and very easy, that don't last too long tho.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Supermegamonkee said:
I would start this way -

Wash with a clean bucket of your chosen shampoo. Use a different mitt from the one you clean your wheels with. Start from the top and work down. Good idea to change the water if it's really grubby. You don't want to drag grit round the car.

Good rinse, then dry the car with soft microfiber towel. I mist quick detailer as I dry.

Dry wheels with clean microfibers. Lastly I would wipe the door shuts and seals.

As for polish and wax, I would start off with autoglym super resin polish then finish with a wax.

Dodo make some nice products, but you can get cheaper products that will do the job. The waxes go on and very easy, that don't last too long tho.
I wish I had a fraction of your energy and enthusiasm for washing. For me it will be a hose connected brush with water and no chemicals every 6 weeks or so.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
AlanG said:
Supermegamonkee said:
I would start this way -

I wish I had a fraction of your energy and enthusiasm for washing. For me it will be a hose connected brush with water and no chemicals every 6 weeks or so.
Wash? With all this rain?
Yes I must get round to washing it, though I suppose the garage will do that when it goes in for the first service in a month's time. I wonder if I poured some car shampoo on the roof before a down pour?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you could have hit a little gap in the market there Leif!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts