Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all took delivery of my nice shiney red up last tuesday, now with all the grime off the roads it is absolutly filthy, just wondering what others are using to wash theres with.
I have always used mer car polish in the past but was open to new ideas, am definatly going to have to get the jet wash out on it i think.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Snow foam for a quick weekly wash I got a dispenser and 10 litres off ebay...works brilliantly but I still do the full handwash monty every few months.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Full two bucket hand wash every week, with a snow foam pre wash.
Gets a wax every two/three months or when the water stops beading on it I've only clayed/polished it once after winter, but will likely do that again when this shoddy weather clears up.
As for product I use dodo juice and Auto Glym mostly, but Mer is also very good.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For a new car I wouldnt personally ever use a polish, why would you? you need a good quality ph neutralshampoo e.g dodo juice born to be mild for weekly washes and every now and then top the wax up (not a wax/polish just good quality carnaubawax) Most car shampoos other than the ph neutral type arequite harsh and will take some of the wax off.When it gets a year or so old then it might need harsher shampoo, pre wax cleaner,polish and wax and then go back to the mild stuff. Just my opinion and what gives me great results.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I used polish on mine as it came from the dealers with swirl marks in the paint. Go figure?!
So I polished it after having clayed it to remove the embedded contaminants, to try and restore it to it's intended glory. A good, light, polish and sealant, IMHO, is where the real deep gloss lies in a good finish.
You're right though, you shouldn't need too.
Second on born mild too, top stuff.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thats what i was worried about, really dont want to be putting any swirls in the paint so soon, not had a week yet. like the idea of the snow foam spray on and lightly hose off, no use of cloths other than a quick wipe with a mirco fibre to dry off.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The snow won't clean it, it's just a pre wash. You still need to wash it by hand after.
However, if you use a good woollen mitt, like a wookies fist, and the two bucket method you won't go too far wrong. Just be gentle with her! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, ok cheers all going to order some of that dodo ph neutral wash and a mitt in a bit then :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had my Yaris for ten years and always put it through the car wash
mind you it did still look lovely and shiny ten years on.. BUT today I washed my up!
with the free massive bag of autoglym stuff I got with the car - minimum effort, just used the AG car wash and then towelled the wet off with the micro fibre cloth, couldn't have taken more than half an hour - it looks lovely
thought it would be a good day to wash it as no rain predicted for ages just very cold!

I also fast shined the windows - have always been a fan of autoglym glass cleaner but I must say the new improved fast shine is far superior to the blue gloopy stuff I was using previously..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts