Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some keen car detailers on this forum so you might want to look away now!

I have pretty much never hand washed my cars, preferring to use either the jet wash or the drive through car wash. Admittedly, the black metallic Yaris I just traded in was covered in swirls which really showed up when the sun shone on it.

When I collected my candy white Citigo, I mentioned washing to my salesman and he said he would have no qualms about taking it through a drive through, as swirls wouldn't be a problem on a solid white car.

I want to keep the car clean and in good condition, and as it's so small, I might give hand washing a go, although I suspect I will soon get bored of it. Would you/do you use a jetwash or drive through to wash your new motor?

Also, I know that you are supposed to wash off the underside of the car after winter, but I have never, ever done this before
This might be a daft question, but how do you do it? Just point a hose under the car??

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
invest the time in washing and a decent wax, then a quick sponge and jetwash will keep it clean....avoid auto car-washes like the devils devices they are!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Privatedoc said:
invest the time in washing and a decent wax, then a quick sponge and jetwash will keep it clean....avoid auto car-washes like the devils devices they are!

Ha ha! Thanks! I think I need to do some research as I have no real idea how often you need to use wax etc. The car has been lifeshined so I'm not sure if I need to use wax on top of that just yet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Snuggles the easiest way to stop swirls in your paint is not to use a sponge but use a lambswool mitt instead. Rather than grinding the dirt that the sponge picks up around and around on your paint as you rub, the mitt lifts dirt into the wool fibres and helps reduce swirls greatly.

Now if your really keen to look after your paint, use two buckets, one for the soapy suds shampoo, and another to rinse off the mitt in after each panel wash... You will be shocked how much muck the rinse bucket has in it at the end.... And this would have ended back into your shampoo bucket and then be pushed and ground back into you new paint again as you clean!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
71 Posts
Markmod1 said:
Snuggles the easiest way to stop swirls in your paint is not to use a sponge but use a lambswool mitt instead. Rather than grinding the dirt that the sponge picks up around and around on your paint as you rub, the mitt lifts dirt into the wool fibres and helps reduce swirls greatly.

Now if your really keen to look after your paint, use two buckets, one for the soapy suds shampoo, and another to rinse off the mitt in after each panel wash... You will be shocked how much muck the rinse bucket has in it at the end.... And this would have ended back into your shampoo bucket and then be pushed and ground back into you new paint again as you clean!
Top advice there Mark
keep the dirt out of your car cleaning solution. Otherwise you would be almost washing your car with rocks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you MarkMod and Mr Up. The one time I handwashed a car (my black Yaris' first wash), I was astonished to see swirls in the paint afterwards (that's why I thought I might just as well use the drive-through). I had used one bucket and a sponge and probably didn't even think about rinsing the sponge as I was going
Think I will have to invest in a couple of buckets anda mitt.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could also explain how you wash the underside of the car?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pressure washer and lance positioned under the car and in the arches too. If you don't have a pressure washer a trip to the supermarket cleaning bay is just a good.... Use the lance under the sides of the car and in arches..... Don't use it on your body paint though.

And as for drive through car washes... If it removes your wing mirror caps, wipers and other car body parts... Remember you are not covered by the car wash company... And the wing mirror caps are about £180 a pop....

I wouldnt go near one myself... Cleaning your car is good exercise and actually very therapeutic, and the final result is very satisfying indeed!

PLEASE DON'T PUNISH YOUR CAR WITH A DRIVE THROUGH CAR WASH.... THEY ARE A PORTAL TO CAR ****
Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
367 Posts
To clean the underside properly you need a pressure washer fitted with two lance extensions - a long straight extension and a right angled extension.

These are available for all PW's.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Snuggles said:
Thank you MarkMod and Mr Up. The one time I handwashed a car (my black Yaris' first wash), I was astonished to see swirls in the paint afterwards (that's why I thought I might just as well use the drive-through). I had used one bucket and a sponge and probably didn't even think about rinsing the sponge as I was going
Think I will have to invest in a couple of buckets anda mitt.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could also explain how you wash the underside of the car?

We wrote this simple process for our customers to use between visits by us. It may help you.

Most problems are caused by owners using their mitts to first attack filthy sections of the car eg sills and wheel arch lips etc and then using the mitt to wash the rest of the car.

We use snowfoam boosted with an all purpose cleaner to remove all heavy dirt deposits before we even begin the wash process.

This is replaced in this simplified process with a shampoo solution in a Hozelock sprayer although you could by an all purpose cleaner at Halfords.

It is very hard to properly wash a car without a pressure washer - even a small cheapie from the DIY store will be better than nothing.

Contrary to what some people say a pressure washer will not damage paintwork when used properly ie use a fan spray, keep the nozzle a foot or so from the paintwork and avoid blasting directly into locks etc. Never use one of those dirtkiller turbo charged lances!

We run our Kranzle PW's at about 120 psi with a lance at a wide fan setting and have never damage a car - we work on some nice cars too.

Anyway, I digress. Here is the process that you can play about with...

http://www.clenz.co.uk/category/car-care-advice/

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much VWXYZ and MarkMod, I really want to look after this car so the advice is much appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts