Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my UP friends. I've had my gorgeous little HIGH UP for a week now but the weather has made it filthy. It is Tornado Red.

Any advice on what I should use for its first wash?

Fank u!

Buddy the HighUp

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I use all the autoglym range of products on my tornado red. Amazon have some good prices, and sometimes halfords have buy one get one free over a range which occasionally makes them cheaper than amazon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks Rednaxela!

·
Registered
430 Posts
To make washing a breeze I invested in some dodo juice products which are excellent (bit more expensive than some)I used a pre-wax cleaner to take off the wax that the dealer had put on before applying dodo juice wax. To maintain this I use dodo juice born to be mild shampoo, rinse off and dry with a special drying towel. The born to be mild is ph neutral so won't strip the wax you have just applied. It's important to use ph neutral shampoo if you use a separate wax as products like turtle wax will remove the wax after a few washes.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Defo an autoglym fan! I've tried dodo juice and meguiars but prefer autoglym dont ask why I just do haha and some of the products I use smell better than what I use in the shower!

For a 1st wash I would do a full detail, including:
Jet wash all the car, wash all over starting from the top down using 2 bucket method ( 1 bucket full of soap suds, 2nd bucket just water purely to rinse sponge or wash mit etc), do wheels last, dry off, clay bar all over (even though its a brand new car) apply a good decent wax. I have the autoglym hd wax and products from the hd range. Wipe all door sills and boot shut and under the bonnet and the glass polish all windows apart from the windscreen! Thats about it I think! O wheels! After drying the wheels apply alloy sealer buff that in then spray on tyre dressing and buff that off lol

For other washes just wash it then instead of drying use autoglym aqua wax and follow that procedure its a lot faster and gives great results!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Auto finesse products are grand at an affordable price, highly recommended here.
Otherwise, I've used Hubikote shampoo recently, which was fantastic!
Prima Hydro/Hydromax as a sealant, Hydromax gives an unbelievable amount if gloss!
I currently use Swissvax wax, which, although expensive, is incredible! It lasts aaaages and gives a brilliant wet look lustre to well polished/sealed paint.

Quick detailer - Prima Slick. It's polymer based, really easy to use and smells great. Plus it's quite vivid green so easy to apply well.

I'd give the car a iron/fallout removal treatment first time too. Wax Tec Fall Off V2 is outstanding. Nice thick gel in spray form, thick enough to dwell long enough, thin enough to spread easily. It bleeds brilliant purple so you can see it works. It is also much, much less noxious than most fall out removers.

A good quality wash mitt is a must, lambs wool I great, the Auto Finesse one is what I use and it's perfect for the job. Good quality, soft, clean microfibre cloths are also a must to prevent swirl marks. Keep them cleans and don't drop them on the floor! Same goes for the wash mitt. :)
Also don't go mental with the pressure washer, set it to a gentle stream and spray the water at an acute angle to the pair to prevent smashing all the dirt particles into the clearcoat and forming swirls.

Seems like a lot I know! But, IMHO, those steps will keep your car show car clean! Enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Christ swissvax!! I dream of using that haha (Dave just checking you got my message on wed)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I did yea, I meant to get back to you. I'll do it now! Haha.
And yea, that Glacier genuinely is the stuff dreams are made of. It looks so **** good! I'll pop a good pic here in a sec

Edit: I couldn't decide which was best, so have a few :)

Edited by: Davec86

·
Registered
851 Posts
Itzben said:
Defo an autoglym fan! I've tried dodo juice and meguiars but prefer autoglym dont ask why I just do haha and some of the products I use smell better than what I use in the shower!

For a 1st wash I would do a full detail, including:
Jet wash all the car, wash all over starting from the top down using 2 bucket method ( 1 bucket full of soap suds, 2nd bucket just water purely to rinse sponge or wash mit etc), do wheels last, dry off, clay bar all over (even though its a brand new car) apply a good decent wax. I have the autoglym hd wax and products from the hd range. Wipe all door sills and boot shut and under the bonnet and the glass polish all windows apart from the windscreen! Thats about it I think! O wheels! After drying the wheels apply alloy sealer buff that in then spray on tyre dressing and buff that off lol

For other washes just wash it then instead of drying use autoglym aqua wax and follow that procedure its a lot faster and gives great results!
Just reading your procedure exhausted me - let alone actually doing it. Its a brush connected to a hose for me and happy with the results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OMG. I really just thought it would be a simple wash with a quality shampoo, end of story!!

I don't have any of this kind of kit and don't think I'd have the muscle power of energy to complete all those steps even if I did have the products.

Why is it so important to do a "removal"? Surely it comes with a perfect wax job from the factory?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
ljduk1 said:
OMG. I really just thought it would be a simple wash with a quality shampoo, end of story!!

I don't have any of this kind of kit and don't think I'd have the muscle power of energy to complete all those steps even if I did have the products.

Why is it so important to do a "removal"? Surely it comes with a perfect wax job from the factory?

Wow that's what a lot of people think but sometimes the factory wax or the showroom cleanse before delivery can just be a rushed job by some1 on minimum wage who gets a bonus for the most cars he washes in a day! So not a very good job! So it's very important to remove all the cheap crap they put on to make way for the quality products that make a quality job!

·
Registered
99 Posts
water

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think there's a big difference between washing and maintaining your car to actually detailing it which is what some on this thread are alluring to. For those who just wish to maintain and protect their investment a regular wash with a ph neutral shampoo and an occasional wax is you need. If you have loads of time on your hands then full detailing is both rewarding and therapeutic. And a bit expensive!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rickenbacker - I was starting to panic. At the risk of sounding pathetic, I'm a girl who has no experience of 'car detailing'. When reading the advice I started to panic that my car was going to suffer if I didn't follow what seemed like a 20-step process. I've never heard of a clay bar never mind used one and I'd be nervous about trying it in case I got it wrong.

Should I take it to a car detailed for a first prep then just wash and wax it myself after that?

Thanks everybody for the advice, even if I feel unable to apply it myself.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Haha to make it easy get a nice shampoo an mitt and work fromtop down! And promise you will never use one of those whirlly car washes haha or do what my sister did untill I shouted at her and have your car washed once a year when it goes in for a service at vw haha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Itzben - I promise to follow the 2 bucket method with Autoglym and to fully dry it off with microfibres cloths. I will read more and maybe attempt the additional steps in due course. I was just thinking that an inexperienced detailer could do more harm than good. Cheers!

·
Registered
430 Posts
ljduk1 said:
Thanks Rickenbacker - I was starting to panic. At the risk of sounding pathetic, I'm a girl who has no experience of 'car detailing'. When reading the advice I started to panic that my car was going to suffer if I didn't follow what seemed like a 20-step process. I've never heard of a clay bar never mind used one and I'd be nervous about trying it in case I got it wrong.

Should I take it to a car detailed for a first prep then just wash and wax it myself after that?

Thanks everybody for the advice, even if I feel unable to apply it myself.
If you fancy a go at detailing at some stage this will help, you don't have to use these products but the process is still the same.. some good tips here http://www.dodojuice.com/dodo-juice-detailing.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the link. I'll definitely go through this. I like the thought of being able to detail the car properly and keep it gleaming. First car I've really wanted to spend time on!! You're a star

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use an excellent product. It's from Eastern Europe and it comes in the shape of 4 very nice blokes who wash the car for me for £5!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts