Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Have any of you had a problem with water holding in the tailgate? when i open the boot i can hear the water moving around and it actuallyruns downinside the glass and onto the parcel shelf.
Also when i removed the rubber stops from the bottom of tailgate lots of water ran out.

It is in the dealers today and i dont want to get fobbed off.

Regards

Derek

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think previous version of the Golf had this issue. It turned out to be the pipe for the rear washer had come off inside the boot lid.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Someone on either the Dutch or German up forum had that ... I'll have a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks, please let me know how you get on! the car is now booked into VW sinclair's bodyshop for inspection on the 29th, they looked at the rear wash pipe and resealed the upper brake light unit but it failed the water test again.

So im waiting until its in again to resolve it, i will post the results asap.

Thanks all

Derek

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mate,
Yes sorry I forgot to post back results! I got it fixed in the dealership under waranty, they changed the whole rear lock mechanism on the tailgate.
havnt had any issues with water in tailgate since

I've read on here also about water swishing noise when cornering in the UP, I had this issue as well but it wasn't the tailgate this was water holding in the chassis, I resolved this by removing one of the plastic grommet plugs under the sill, you could just drill a hole in one of them also.

cheers
Derek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Derek

Thanks for the reply. This issue has only happened since the dealer adjusted the tailgate lock. The tailgate was rattling and so they adjusted the lock. Since then it's been collecting in the tailgate. They tried to tell me it was due to my rear glass being replaced and not enough glue being applied. I explained that it had been replaced in July and that I hadn't had any problems with water. The dealer tried to fob me off with an explanation of it hadn't rained much since July....

I'll call them later today with this latest news. Thanks!

I also had the water in the chassis problem. It was sorted by taking out the grommets. Apparently, they are only meant to be in place during the delivery and removed before the vehicle is handed over to the customer.

I love my UP! But I'm not so in love with my dealer!

Thanks again

Robin

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have just started with this issue on our 2013 Rock Up. Water inside the tailgate assembly. When you raise the tailgate and close it again it runs out from the top of the window on the inside of the car. Upon detailed investigation I found it to be getting in around the rubber seal where the wiper spindle passes through the glass.

I have removed the wiper blade, motor assembly, and rubber seal, cleaned everything and seated the seal back in with some gutter sealant. That should do the trick I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts