Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 2015 Up and water in somehow getting in the tailgate and runs down the inside of the rear window when its opened/shut. I'm mystified as to why this is happening and it only seems to do it when it is raining.
Many thanks,
David

·
Registered
379 Posts
It does sound like a seal problem, either the glass-to-frame seal or the inner tailgate rubber seal.... But if you have a sunroof it conceivably could be that, and the water may be travelling rearwards...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Agree with Steve. Does it come in only when you drive or also parked ? Could have an Aero element as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had that problem a while ago. My fix was removing the rear wiper and motor. Cleaning the area, then applying clear silicon around the seal that is in contact with the window circle cut out. No problems since

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I want to remove the rear tailgate plastic trim to see what's going on.
I've taken the torx screw from the door pull, but cant work out how to remove the plastic panel. I've pulled as hard as I dare, but it feels like something's going to break.
Does anyone know how it comes off?
Many thanks.
D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've solved my own problem
Water is getting in around the upper brake light/washer jet assembly. There is a sealing gasket, which isn't sealing properly. I have run a bead of silicone around it and pushed it back in.
I would still like to know how to remove the inner plastic trim panel, if anyone knows?
D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wrote too soon as it continued to leak.
I have however now finally solved the mystery. The light was leaking a bit, but water was also getting in around the rubber grommet that sealed the rear washer spindle that goes through the rear window. The rubber had degraded and perished. I took it out and packed it with silicone grease and this appears to have worked so far. If it fails again, I'll buy a new one. This could explain the misting problem on the windows.
This is basically an Up design fault. Such a shame on such a good little car.
Thanks for all your help.
David

·
Registered
379 Posts
I hope you are right, but the grease will last no time at all in this situation!

You wrote "runs down the inside of the rear window when its opened/shut. " - so I think of us inferred that meant when 'open or shut' so we assumed it was coming in from the top! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, how did the 3rd top brake light pop out i dont want to scratch or break the light.
Mines leaking the same, i took the little top centre grommet out and water poured out, took the plastic panel off and theres water at the bottom aswell.
Just pull to get that off, be a bit rough

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts