Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our UP since May 22nd and we did not go for the Autoglym option.

What suggestions as to what one could use from the array of different options at the store? Its our first car in the UK so not familiar with the brands available?... if there is a link and discussion already please drop the link.

Cheers!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have never had the ag protection added to any of my cars at the dealer. Like I have said in a previous post, it's all on prep for great results. Maybe twice a year I will do the following to my car; good wash, clay, iron fallout remover, tar remover, polish with a dual action polisher and then wax to finish. Then a regular wash once a week and wax once a month.

As for products, loads to choose for each budget. I started with autoglym super resin polish applied by hand and a jar dodo juice wax. You can spend £10 to £nameyourprice on a pot of wax, just go with your budget.

I have used these in the past http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/waxes.html high street shops such as halfords are pretty expensive unless they have an offer on.

Best of luckEdited by: Supermegamonkee

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks, supermegamonkee
(I think our posts were written at the same time).
BTW, could you say more about the iron fallout remover? I've seen little rusty marks on my wife's car that look like someone's scattered iron filings on it. They are a pain to get off.

·
Registered
523 Posts
move up! said:
Thanks, supermegamonkee 
(I think our posts were written at the same time).
BTW, could you say more about the iron fallout remover? I've seen little rusty marks on my wife's car that look like someone's scattered iron filings on it. They are a pain to get off.
No worries :)

My current car is white so shows these pesky marks up a treat. They almost look like rusty spots, can come from brake discs. if you have a rail network near this can also be a cause. The product I use is called iron x. It dissolves the iron particles, the way you can tell its working as it shows up as purple marks. A good rinse off removes the product - works really well on alloy wheels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone! will bear this in mind the next time we are at the shop to get gear. Cheers!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have always used Supagard on a new car. Buy the sponge off of Ebay for £3 then apply it myself as on a nice clean new body is as easy to apply as wax and does help make the car a tad easier to clean being asealant. Once finished with Supagard I apply a coat of Autoglym High Definition wax to bring out a deep luster and add an extra layer of protection then re-wax every three months. My current candy white Leon FR still looks factory fresh after a good wax

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have always used MER get it at any car place Halfords etc. Used to use it on Black 20 yr old golf came up a treat so am now using on my little "Jet" black UP!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah, I love MER too!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I got my Autoglym High Definition Wax free with a subscription with What Car, in fact over 18 months Icancelledit once thenresubscribed acouple of months laterso now have two pot's one for the wheels and one for the body!

I brought a brand new Autglym Lifeshine kit off Ebay yesterday for £12 including postage ready for my forthcoming up! will see how that compares to Supagard. Supposed to work best by putting a coating of high definition wax on first than the glaze and leaving for two hours to cure??? Interesting method!

·
Registered
587 Posts
move up! said:
Excellent! Freebies are always better

Autoglym High Definition wax = £32 X 2 = £64 saved

Yup and got a magazine to read for 6 months as well instead of reading it for free in WHSmith's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts