Up Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to spray Waxoil on the front and rear suspension to keep the underneath of the car looking good, and to help with any future maintenance and repair work that might otherwise involve battling with corroded and seized parts. There isn't much paint on the suspension parts, and some of the parts (the anti-roll bar drop links on the front for instance) are not painted at all. The rear suspension is probably more important than the front because it takes the spray from the front wheels. It's not uncommon for the rear torsion bar to get corroded and fail on small front wheel drive cars like the UP! My car has only done 500 miles so it's relatively simple to do it now. I hired a morning's access for hydraulic garage lift from a place in Gravesend. It only cost £60 and they were great. I bought 2 tins of Waxoyl spray from Halfords. The local VW dealer wouldn't do it because they said it would invalidate the warranty. I suspect the real issue is they just didn't want to do it because it's potentially messy. I used a lot of newspaper and put it on the floor under the car. I guess my dealer did me a favour because I saved a lot by doing it myself.

This is the place I used: Self Service Garage | Car Ramp Hire | England
Light Bicycle part Rim Bicycle drivetrain part Auto part

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Style Rim

Tire White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light
Tire White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Light

Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hadn't considered Waxoyling externally but I had thought about having mine Ziebarted (inner structure corrosion protection) though I haven't looked to see if anyone still does it in the uk.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Looks like Ziebart isn't available in this country, but is in the USA.
I do my classics with Waxoil, myself, with the waxoil heated up in the gallon tin, then dispensed into a hand held garden sprayer, mixed with a small amount of white spirit. spray the stuff on, the white spirit evaporates, and leaves a great smooth finish. I've been doing it for years and still do. Re-apply after 2/3 years and it keeps everything spot-on.
Dinitrol and Bilt Hamber are very good too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gave mine a coating underneath with Bilt Hamber Atom Mac this afternoon. 15 minute job with a pump sprayer (the type with the tube and hand wand). Didn’t need to jack it up - rear easy to get to and front wheels lock-to-lock to help with access 👍

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use Dinitrol myself, less mucking around with warming the stuff up, just to clarify ordinary Waxoyl is for cavity and box section and gets washed off areas subject to road spray, the underbody stuff is different and much thicker, I've used it on my Alfa but with an added protective thin plastic sheet to seal it , worked well for several years but a horrible messy job ..

·
Registered
750 Posts
Gave mine a coating underneath with Bilt Hamber Atom Mac this afternoon. 15 minute job with a pump sprayer (the type with the tube and hand wand). Didn’t need to jack it up - rear easy to get to and front wheels lock-to-lock to help with access 👍
You’d be better off using Bilt hamber dynax than atom Mac if you need long term protection of more than a few minutes .
I use atom Mac to prevent flash corrosion on brake discs when washing the car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Since looking for Ziebart I've seen ads for Lanoguard - Superior Marine Anti-Corrosives and Lubricants for underbody corrosion protection.
As the name suggests it's a natural product so I'm going to give it a try :)
Everyone has their own preferred poison, jury seems out on Lanoguard but as its a natural product that's a bonus, I did have a laugh at their promo pic where he's spraying a front wheel arch... must make the liner nice and shiny .....I usually work on the principle that the worse it smells the better its going to work ...baaaaa 🐑

·
Registered
96 Posts
Everyone has their own preferred poison, jury seems out on Lanoguard but as its a natural product that's a bonus, I did have a laugh at their promo pic where he's spraying a front wheel arch... must make the liner nice and shiny .....I usually work on the principle that the worse it smells the better its going to work ...baaaaa 🐑
Yes it is comical, makes good tyre lube too :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used Sheepoyl on the back of my Up Gti and Waxoyled the front about two years ago, so far they are both doing the same job, maybe the Sheepoyl looks slightly neater as it goes on as a very thin layer. Just done an Audi S1 with Bilt Hamber UB or C, the thin stuff and that went on even better an the Sheepoyl

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Good work

l did the same on our 2020 Jimny with clear wax based rustproofing spray and after two years the underside still looks like new.

l know it will be a long time before it actually corrodes, but l prefer to keep it looking good where possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts