Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,I'm new to the forum! I've got a 14 plate take UP!, really like the car apart from one issue. When it has been raining and I open the boot, i hear water in the boot itself, then when I shut the boot, the water drips from the top of the rear windscreen onto the parcel shelf. Its really annoying, anyone else had this same issue? And has anyone got a solution?
Thanks for looking!

Ben.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same problem with our 12 UP.Took it back to the garage when it was in warranty for this and they said they had replaced the hatchback door. That was a few years ago. Now the same issue has started again.
Open hatchback and you can hear water gurgling down to the top of the door (which is now lower than the bottom of the door!). Close the hatchback and water escapes down the inside of the hatchback window.I've sealed around the glass to metal parts at the top and sides of the hatchback, leaving the lower joint unsealed incase water can escape from there (it doesn't seem to).
There doesn't appear to be any drain holes in the hatchback which would allow any water to escape. It looks like water is trying to get out via the bump stops on the hatchback door, but they are pretty well sealed so not much escapes.
My only thoughts are:
- Rear washer pipe leaking - although have tested and it doesn't seem to be that
- Water getting in around either the wiper joint or the push button to open the hatchback
- water getting in around the high level stop light
- water getting in via the rear washer connection to the hatchback.

Will keep investigating, but it is very annoying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 15 plate up. Had this problem this time last year and now again after all the heavy rain. Told the dealer but because it wasn't doing it when they looked, they didn't know what was causing it. Concerned that eventually it will rust

·
Registered
50 Posts
Same issue and it happens if the car is parked a certain way when it rains, or if it is very windy. It must be getting in from around the top of the boot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Workshop Manual suggests the following options:

• improperly bonded rear window
  • faulty seals on the rear lid, tail lights (including upper brake light) or fastening elements.
You may also find the advice from the Haynes people helpful:

If it's only in the hatchback area, that does tend to suggest a seal - the back end is comparatively isolated from the rest of the car, so it's unlikely to be getting in (say) one of the rear windows and working backwards. I can't see any drainage channels to get blocked on the diagrammes, but it's worth having a look and seeing if you have collected any leaves/creatures anywhere that might trap water until you open the hatch. The longer materials are exposed to UV/salt/weather, the faster they will degrade, but having said that, I have a 15-plate Up! and (thankfully) no sign of any leaks yet.

If you decide to replace any seals yourself, it's worth noting that the Manual specifies:
  • When the seal is removed, the sealant on the inside of the seal will be spread and the flanks will be bent out slightly. If the seal is then refitted, sealing and firm seating are no longer guaranteed.
  • Therefore, each seal that is completely removed must be replaced with a seal known as a “tap-on seal”.
  • If a seal has been partially removed, squeeze sides of seal together before installing.
You may also find this guide helpful (it discusses an '84 GTI):

Please keep us posted on progress, as it would be helpful for all of us in the future!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interestingly, mine did this in the wake of Storm Brendan over the past 2 days - when I lifted the hatch this morning, plenty of water came out the drain hole at the top of the hatch, but a little bit came down the window instead. VW does seem to have an issue with windows and water (see this T5 Kombi video:

Am now going to look very closely at the bottom of the hatch to see if there is a drain hole, and if it needs unblocking... Otherwise, I can only assume the windows are expected to leak (!) and under certain conditions it can be driven into (I presume) the plastic moulding at the bottom of the hatch, where it escapes via the inside of the car instead of the intended route via the upper drain hole. Does possibly explain some of the condensation issues Up!s have...

Water coming out the drain hole at the top with the hatch raised later this morning:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Now that the rain has paused for a bit, there are indeed 3 dimples at the bottom of the hatch of the same size/shape as the one at the top - except there's no sign of an opening in them to let water out. So either they've been sealed over by the paint, or they were never open in the first place... ETKA confirms that they are all supposed to be the same:
Anyone able to confirm the ones at the bottom of their hatch are open, or have seen water come out of them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have a 2012 Up, exactly the same thing.. drove me nuts.
Pretty simple to fix, not sure why VW were so reluctant to take a look.
The only possible way water can drip from the internal top of the back screen is by water ingress from the 3rd break light at the top of the tailgate lid. Remove it carefully, its on clips,and gently force it out.
Then with clear silicone, run a bead around the metal tailgate frame where the light sits and put the light back in. Run your finger around the light to remove excess silicone and let it dry. Next day, give it a water test and you'll find no leaks. The actual issue is that the rubber seal inside the brake light simply is not sufficient to keep all the water out that runs off the roof on to the top of the tailgate and in through the light.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now that the rain has paused for a bit, there are indeed 3 dimples at the bottom of the hatch of the same size/shape as the one at the top - except there's no sign of an opening in them to let water out. So either they've been sealed over by the paint, or they were never open in the first place... ETKA confirms that they are all supposed to be the same:
Anyone able to confirm the ones at the bottom of their hatch are open, or have seen water come out of them?
I have a 2015 Up with exactly the same issue. Water inside the bottom of the tailgate after heavy rain. Lift the tailgate and it appears to run through the enclosed sides into the top of the tailgate. Close the tailgate and it runs down the inside of the back window. I have taken the plastic trim off inside and no obvious problems. I too have noticed the three "drain holes" but filled in along the bottom edge of the tailgate. Has anyone drilled these out to see if it stops the water collecting? I have yet to try removing the high-level brake light to re-seal it. This seems the only place I can imagine that water is getting in. The base of the boot space and carpets in the boot are bone dry so the water is retained purely within the tailgate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The tailgate is enclosed, water can only enter through the 3rd top brake light. If you're sad like me, watch what happens when it rains on the top of the roof spolier above the brake light. (Or use a hose).
The water continually flows over it, so if the seal is not tight, water will enter from the top bottom and sides.
I left the seal on but applied a lot of clear silicone before reattaching and cleaning off excess.
My advice would be to mop up as much water from inside the tailgate when brake light is out.
Honestly, somethig so simple has fixed the leak and now the car doesnt suffer the condensation issues it had previously.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My leaking seems to be getting worse, so your instructions are very timely. Anything special about the silicone you used? It will be a couple of weeks before I can have a go (and it needs to stop raining for more than 5 minutes as well!) but will post results when I do. I look forward to not wiping up dribbles every time I open the hatch after a storm!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ha - regular sanitary silicone. I applied mine is the rain, just wiped off the light and surround before applying. Will dry overnight.
I have to reiterate - make sure the tailgate is empty of any water or you'll just seal it in. Slam it a few times ... that should clear it.
I didn’t and was surprised to see the leak one last time after sealing.
Its now been over 2 weeks, continual rain and i’ve washed the car twice and absolutely no leaks or condensation whatsoever.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Right; will do. Many thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oddly enough I passed on the workshop manual instructions for this procedure to someone else having trouble with the washer jet no that long ago; wasn't expecting to need it myself... It is supposed to be straightforward (just mind the paintwork), but I'm sure @nrjdm can confirm/deny as appropriate.
See here:
Since the spray jet is contained within the upper brake light, it will need to come off to access the pipe if you think that's the source of your problem. According to the guide I have, you need to protect the area of the rear lid above the light with removable adhesive tape (i.e. masking or painters tape), then carefully insert a wide-bladed wedge (there is an official tool for this) in between the light and the rear lid, at the middle of the light. There is a catch holding the light in place which will be released when you move the wedge sideways (I believe the wedge will only be able to move in one direction, but I haven't tried it myself). The light will then come out from its fitting, along with the connecting wires. Pull out the washer hose lock to remove the hose from the light, then disconnect the light's power connector so the light isn't dangling while you work on the jet. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly, but be sure the seal is seated correctly (not twisted or pinched) and check the light is working properly before reinserting. As ever, if not sure, have a word with someone at the local garage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, Theres approx 6 metal clips that you need to push in that allows the light to pull forward. I’m sure there are tools that you can buy but I used 4 credit card size flexible plastic cards, insert them on each corner and gently ease the light forward. Theres a lip around the light that you can grab and gently force forward.
Attached to the back of the light is the washer fluid tube, and the electrics for the light. There’s plenty of slack so no need to worry about damaging them.
Worst case, if you damage
The light, VW sell a replacement unit for approx £60.
It won’t come to that, just go gentle and take your time.
Honestly, i’m no professional. Just took my time after VW were so unhelpful. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again. I’ll let you know how it goes when I get chance to sort it. Then we need another downpour to check it’s sealed - shouldn’t have to wait long for that ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again. I’ll let you know how it goes when I get chance to sort it. Then we need another downpour to check it’s sealed - shouldn’t have to wait long for that ;)
All sorted. Many thanks to all contributors. It clearly was the high-level brake light that was letting in water. Took the light fitting out, applied clear silicone sealant and put it back together. Since the last bouts of strong wind and rain directly on the back of the car and when driving, there's no sign of any further water ingress. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts