Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gearbox noise isatrocious. The constant sound of a bicycle chain rattling at all speeds shouldn't be happening in a new car, I don't care if VW do say it's 'normal'.

Now at motorway speeds, there is a whistle/high pitched noise which I initially thought was induction but now think is also gearbox related. Anyone else got this? Seems to happen between 65-75 mph.

Economy no where near as good as claimed. But still pretty good :)

The handling seems to have gone 'off'. Not as precise and seems to crash over bumps where previously it floated. Seems pretty leany and rolly, tyre pressures are fine.

Brake noise. Was quite a loud scrapping sound at one point when going around a roundabout. Occasional scraping sound when braking. I wonder if the brakes are sticking slightly which would explain the noise, economy and handling/ride being not as good as it was?

Overall we like the car, but for a product you pay a premium for (VW) I honestly don't think it's as good as a Suzuki Alto which is far cheaper...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Is yours a MY12 model? Mine's a MY13 and the gearbox is silent. I do get a noise at 65-75mph but it seems like wind noise to me.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine's a MY12 model and I have all of Stetec's 'issues' too although I think the handling on mine is fine. It's mainly the gearbox rattle that bothers me; the whine in 5th doesn't so much as many other small cars that I have owned have also whined in 5th. I attributed the scraping noise from the brakes as being down to a lack of noise insulation. Again i'm not bothered as I can only hear it when braking gently at slow speeds without the radio on and they otherwise work fine.

But that darn rattly gearbox...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ours is 2012. The weird thing about the gearbox noise is it comes and goes, though most of the time it's there now. The tech at VW says his does the same, they all do, because the gearbox case is so thin. So why would it not make the noise sometimes? If yours is silent, surely that means they've found a fix for it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The whine is more of a whistle and only there between those specific speeds. And can be made louder or quieter by going on and off the throttle. Kind of like a radio when it loses its signal kinda sound...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Stetec said:
Ours is 2012.  The weird thing about the gearbox noise is it comes and goes, though most of the time it's there now.  The tech at VW says his does the same, they all do, because the gearbox case is so thin.  So why would it not make the noise sometimes?  If yours is silent, surely that means they've found a fix for it?
......or my ears don't pick up the frequency!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've posted elsewhere about the gearbox noise, but it applies to 2013MY cars too - mine is a 2013 car.

The rattle is evident at tickover - disappearing when the clutch is disengaged, and thereafter in all gears while the engine is pulling.

Cruising in 5th, the rattle is replaced by the whistle.

I agree about the noise being worse on occasions - as most of my journeys are over 40 miles, it seems to be at it's worse when the engine and gearbox are completely warmed through. If a car is used for short journey's only, it may expalin why the noise is so noticeable.

What amazes me is that, if this is a 'generic' noise, it wasn't picked up as part of the car's development, nor has it been commented on in any roadtest I've read of an up/Citigo/Mii.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm going to check with my VW service dept what that rattle is when ticking over in neutral at tickover, as stated it goes away when clutch is pressed but it dosnt sound good, sounds like metal on metal to me

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have that noise on tick over and goes when clutch depressed. I also still after my gear adjustment get crunching in reverse. Their advice was make sure im completely stopped. I also have the 70mph whine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It does say in the book that the car will make a noise during cold start up. Yes my gearbox makes all the noises as everyone else. Has anyone had a gearbox go pop yet?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've also done 6000 miles in a Take up and my niggle list is restricted to the gearbox noise which all (or 99% anyway) of Ups obviously have. Apart from the noise, the gearbox is as sweet as a nut on mine.

The handling is great - certainly no sign of it going 'off'.

Has anyone actually driven a Suzuki Alto? I test drove a Nissan Pixo (the same car) before we bought our VW Fox and it was atrocious. The build quality was appalling, it was noisy, bouncy and slow. It is also extremely ugly. How anyone can say that it is better than an Up astounds me!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
As stated until we hear reports of a gearbox failing I don't think there's too much to worry about, however, I will still pick the brains of the VW techs as to what actually makes the noise on tick over rather than keep guessing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to add, the actual gearchange is lovely :) However, I'd contemplate blowing the gearbox uP! (!!!) deliberately to see what they say! Kidding, it's the wifes car she'd blow me uP!...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Surely not, Stetec? ... not if you get her a nice stick-on vanity mirror before she notices she's hasving to lean over to the passenger side to remember what she looks like or do those wonderful ladies in our lives - sisters, wives and daughters (I have one, one and two respectively!) - use it for some other reason (which has escaped me, a mere male?)

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts