Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife is well fed 'up'.Fed up with the crappy parcel shelf that stays 'up'.
Fed up with the nonexistent boot light that doesn't light 'up'.
Fed up with the dreadful fuel economy round town.
Hates the stupid sat nav system with the stupid option of two rev counters.
Hates the fact that the mirror control doesn't light 'up' at night.

This morning she was trying to part exchange for a BMW 1 series convertable - well that was untill the dealer offered her a dreadful price for part exchange.
So, anyone fancy a white high up with 1000 miles on the clock?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Sounds like you need to trade-in your wife - she sounds like a misery guts.

It's not a massive amount of effort to put the parcel shelf back down again.
It's not a massive amount of expense to put a simply battery LED light in the boot like others have done.
If she's not getting decent MPG round town, she's driving it wrong, I'm getting 45mpg on average.
Selecting the two rev counters on the satnav is not compulsory, she can ignore the feature altogether if it pains her that much [although you have to wonder what other trivialities get her so wound up if a simple option on a satnav gets her knickers in a twist.]
Why does the mirror control need to light up at night? Why is she even fiddling with the mirrors? She should be setting them before moving off, and she can turn on the interior light to do that. Anyway, once you've reached for the control a couple of times, it becomes instinctive by touch.

Sound more to me like she'd quite fancy a completely different car - bearing in mind that she's looking at a 1-series ragtop, which serves a completely different purpose to the up! - and is looking for every minor reason to whine about it so you'll give in and get it for her.

Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thinking about it a bit more, get her a moped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But, I have to agree with her on some points. If you want to flick the heated mirrors off at night - you can't see the controls. If you forget to put the parcel shelf down you can't see out of the back. How can Volkswagon build a car and 'forget' a boot light? How can they not bother to line the rear wheel arches?It's not a cheap car after all and only takes two rear seat passengers - why? Probably to boost sales of the Polo.

It's fun to drive granted but still poorly thought out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can agree with most of the little niggles with the Up, I don't like the parcel shelf, it's just a bit annoying, the same with a boot light and illuminated controls for the mirrors and window switches are standard VAG parts, they could have just used them.

But, I knew about them, and still bought the car because I like it more than any other car available.

I don't understand about the fuel economy though, mine is great around town, I do journeys in this car that I would never have done in my old car, this one does 40+ mpg through town where my old car would do 10-15 mpg. Now I have a 3 mile commute instead of an 8 mile journey in the old car.

I find that people drive very aggressively in the modern world, pulling away from a standstill is like the start of a grand prix! If you drive like this, you will get poor fuel consumption in any car.

Today's car are so comfortable, so well insulated from the outside world and so fast by comparison to 30 years ago, I don't think people even realise how fast they are actually travelling.

If everybody actually slowed down a little and became a little more courteous, I think they might actually get where they are going more quickly and a little less stressed.

People ought to think about walking a little more and planning their journeys, some of my neighbours just seem to go in and out all day long, why not do everything in one trip?

Some of them look like a walk wouldn't do them any harm either!!!!!

Edited by: matt-drummer

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
It'll only take two rear seat passengers because it's bloody tiny!

"Forget to put the parcel shelf down, you can't see out of the back"

If I forget to turn my lights on at night, I can't see out of the front. I really can't see how that differs?

I've owned loads of cars that didn't have a light in the boot, is it really a hardship?

Now it's the rear wheel arches as well?

·
Registered
202 Posts
agree with little problems but I've got to accept the car for what it is... Sounds like ur wife will soon find flaws in the 1 series when she gets it too, I'm sure they have there bad points like every car in the world... Someone here has actually traded a 1 series for an up! if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
397 Posts
CLEVER ....well thought up! ... but

Fed up with the parcel shelf that stays 'up'. I'm considering keeping a suitable length of cardboard tube in the car beside driver's seat to act as a 'poker'. After a lifetime of cars where it DOES lower on its own, I've had to get out a couple of times to 'knock' it down!

Fed up with the nonexistent boot light that doesn't light 'up'. Knew that before I bought it - can be overcome if it's that important
Fed up with the dreadful fuel economy round town. Needs investigating?
Hates the stupid sat nav system What'/which aspect(s) exactly? Yes it's a pain digesting the 148 page manual ... but there's a lot in life needs that approach now!
.... with the stupid option of two rev counters.
Don't use it ,then ... use another option! Several to choose from.

Hates the fact that the mirror control doesn't light 'up' at night. Nor do the window switches, NOR does the headlight level control and NOR does the ignition key surround (like it does on the 1998 Honda Civic) when you open the car at night.

Don't forget ...
NO light over Passenger Vanity mirror
- Knew that before I bought it - can be overcome if it's that important
NO Driver Vanity Mirror - I've bought a stick-on one for my wife's use!

·
Registered
79 Posts
What sort of car did she test drive when she bought the Up? I have to assume it was something different!

The car is not poorly thought out, and you have ample opportunity to try before you buy?

What is the problem with the rear wheel arches? They are lined with steel and underseal, what more do you need? It is built to be light and economical.

It carries two rear passengers because it is too narrow to fit three people in it! Most bigger cars are too narrow for three adults in reality, the Mercedes limo that we went in for my Grandmother's funeral recently was a tight squeeze for three normal sized adults, you have no chance of getting three adults in the back of an Up!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So why couldn't we have all these small things in the first place? Volkswagon are not a new manufacturer they know what's missing. Why leave them out? Couple of wires and bulbs hardly break the bank in the manufacturing process. Extra money for white paint? They are having a laugh!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sounds like you must have got a really duff one! I'll give you a couple of grand if you like as you're obviously desperate to get rid. But maybe your wife didn't realise that one can lower the parcel shelf manually. It is actually possible to do it with only one finger! :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh dear oh dear! Thing is, my wife also does not like her (now my) up! Nothing to do with what is has not got, just can't get used to it. Anyway, I love it so I am not complaining - now I have 2 cars to play with.

As an aside, and never having liked any BMW except the M5, I think the 1 series maybe the ugliest car on the road.

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yapmaul said:
Sounds like you must have got a really duff one! I'll give you a couple of grand if you like as you're obviously desperate to get rid. But maybe your wife didn't realise that one can lower the parcel shelf manually. It is actually possible to do it with only one finger! :)

From the drivers seat?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot to mention the wind noise Jesus! My MG Midget wasn't that bad thirty odd years ago. Don't they have a wind tunnel to test their cars in?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I left the parcel shelf up twice in the first week I had the car. Since then never. As for the fuel economy, 450 miles to a tank is about what most members report, and that's been my experience. Me, I love the car, but then, I guess we all like different things!Edited by: yapmaul

·
Registered
202 Posts
nothing wrong with not liking it... Just don't buy it if you don't :)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts