Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

White High Up! ordered yesterday, should be with us soon!

Must say, we first test drove a Fiat 500 (Probably the worst car I have ever Driven), and then a VW up! and we have not looked back.

Cant wait!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Nice one.....you won't regret it....welcome aboard!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I share your discerning choice of vehicle, LancsRyan!

Fiat 500s seems very well received in some quarters (not my choice though) so I'd be very interested to have more details as to why you felt the Fiat 500 was .... well, as you describe it!

The most useful comparison doc. I've found is the What Car? Feb 2012 reprint. Their summary is:
<div align="center">VW Up! 85% (the scores were actually out of 45; so = 38/45)
Kia Picanto 66%
Fiat 500 64%
Toyota Aygo 51%

Edited by: PeterWestSussex

·
Registered
187 Posts
HI I will also go along with that I had an Aygo for a painful 7 months while i waited for my Citigo - the worst car I ever owned hated everything about it - poor visibility, slow noisy engine and very cheap and nasty inside - worst of all it gave me severe cramp in my right leg and foot - getting the Citigo (up!) was like a dream come true and I absolutely love it - although Ive got a Citigo its basically the same and will be looking to buy an up! GT as a boyz toyz car when they come out!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
know what you mean re the Fiat 500 LancsRyan - we've lived with one for 13 months and well, its okay I guess.. I think we really went for the iconic retro styling of the original ... we did like the gear stick position - quite slick & positive, and the wife fell for the white steering wheel ( /headdesk) - however that said summat just didnt 'feel' right about it... when I discovered the Up! & test drove it it didnt take long to convince her to part ex!Also like you guys we originally went for a 62 ex demonstrator but had second thoughts and thought sod it... for £2k more we get a brand spanker Up! Black. No contest.
2 weeks or so to go!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
There is no doubt that the 500 and 500c look good, as do the abarth models, I just wouldn't like to live with them on a daily basis....they seem ok until you experience the solidity and space an up has to offer.

Now, an Up GT convertible would be good! .....nae chance though!

·
Registered
235 Posts
In defence of the Aygo, remember it is an 8+ year old design and things have moved on. When new it moved things on just like the up! does now.

Yes the ride is jiggly, the interior is rather low rent but the clutch/gearbox is far less noisy than the up! and if my daughter's 76,000 mile example is typical, they can live with high mileages. In fact they have a very good reputation for reliability in the trade. I hope the up! proves to be as good in the long-run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the Fiat 500, something just didn't feel right. Hard to put my finger on it, but there was something just niggling about it.

Initially, we were impressed with how the car looks, hence arranging a test drive. Once in the Fiat, the driver position was OK, and interior LOOKEDpleasantenough (and we both liked the gear stick position too). However, once driving, the pedals felt flimsy/unresponsive/no feedback & we felt every bump on a relatively smooth looking road. Added to that, the "feel" of the interior just felt cheap, and if you pushed the plastics with a bit of force, you could see them bend/buckle. It just didn't feel well built or worth the asking price (slightly more than the up!).Furthermore, whilst I appreciate its a small car, it felt so narrow and with plenty of road noise, it wasn't for us.

Mygirlfriendreally liked the look of the car, but after the test drive she wasn't interested at all.

I've had aRover Mini
,Citroen C1,Ford Fiesta,Citroen C2, BMW Mini One, and a VW Beetle.... and the Fiat would have compared with the C1 (Same build as the Aygo).

For us, itdidn'tcompare to the up!, in terms of build quality, price or comfort.

.....Cant wait for the up! , its currently in Grimsby!.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yep Lancs you hit the nail on the head... we really luved the iconic look of the car too - gear position is as you say ideal but all the other niggly things just let the car down - they really should sort out the suspension - when you consider the asking price and they dont hold the value yet they ask silly prices for a used one - we looked at upgrading to a lounge with aircon and the sticker price was around 9-10K for a 2 yr old car with 15-20k miles on the clock! So for an extra 1.5K for an Up! Black tis a no brainer! :)

Enjoy yours not long to wait now eh? - cant wait for ours to arrive - 2 weeks to go Woot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, not long to go!

We got a bit lucky really, the dealer had already got the exact car we wanted on order (colour, interior, wheels,additionalextras), so with a bit of haggling we got a good deal and a wait time of 2/3 weeks.

Going from:

VW Beetle (32MPG, Group 16 Insurance, Tax Band K).

The new High up! White... cannot come soon enough!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts