Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I’m not sure if another can help me but I bought a 2013 VW up from a garage in Stoke 3 weeks ago. It has only done 35k miles. Since having the car I noticed it smelt badly of damp and also gets severe condensation that is really hard to clear. On inspection of the top of the passenger footwell, it feels wet and this can be seen in pictures. I have previously taken the car to a garage where I’m currently living (Cardiff) to get them to check for any build up of leaves etc in the plenum chamber but they couldn’t see any issues.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do/it could be? I cannot take the car back to Stoke for the orginal dealer to look at it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
987 Posts
If it is not blocked drainage holes (and I hope the garage knew what to look for!) it could possibly be a leaking heater matrix or a hose to it. Check coolant level and see if the water in the cabin is coloured or smells like coolant....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a High UP from new in 2012. It has now done 40k miles and I have just experienced the same as you. During lockdown the car has been sitting on the driveway not going anywhere and to the point where the battery went flat. I noticed that the passenger footwell mat was damp and so too was the padding at the back of the footwell. The car has always had condensation problems but I think that it due to the size of the windows being too big for the heating system. My friend's UP has the same problem with condensation. During the below zero temperatures recently I had ice form on the top edge of the windscreen on the inside! I have started driving the car again and haven't experienced any more dampness. I powerwashed the car and there was no visible leaking into the car and the plenum chambers and holes were clear. I had noticed condensation running down the inside of the windscreen and I wonder if it leaks from the bottom edge into behind the dashboard or if it is something to do with the filter (as you show in your picture). We have had unusually cold weather and this is the first time in 8 years that the car has sat idle. I don't know if this helps you at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts