Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing a very wet inside front window?
I'm not talking about a fine mist but so wet I need to wipe with towel to get excess off first before heater clears the rest.
I have the fan on at least one constantly. I have also tried different temperatures and air con.
When I get in my car after i have finished night shift at work its soaked. It has also done it yesterday when its not bern raining and the sun has been out. The car is dry when i get to work. Getting worried that if temperature drops below freezing I'm going to have to scrap ice off inside of window.
Can anyone explain why I have that much moisture inside the car.
Only had my high up a month.
Thanks in advance for any help given.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Lol. There's loads of threads about it on the forum. Everyone's up is like that including my own. A few theories have been put forward such as the moisture removed by the air con not being disposed of properly and so leeching back into the cabin. As far as i know there is no statement from VW so we don't know the actual reason.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not everyone's Up! is like that including my own. Have had mine over a year now and only experienced a bit of misting up which clears quickly before moving off. My wife's Peugeot developed that type of condition last year and turned out to be a water leak. Check to see if your carpets are wet. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've noticed the windscreen being a bit damp first thing in the morning(more than normal condensation) the main thing being that the aircon really struggled to clear it (took 5 mins or so), whereas in the missus's Ibiza the aircon will clear the screen in a few seconds.

I definitely don't have any visible leaks or damp carpets.

I've read that the up is extremely well sealed to prevent noise from the engine bay, could this be something to do with it? (i.e. moisture not being able to escape)

I use my aircon sparingly just to clear any condensation, some up owners may have it on all the time, so their cars may be drier because of this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't use air con, but I did see someone on here say use air con to clear mist, so I thought I would give it ago.
Everyday on my way to work I have tried something different in a hope I could find a solution to this.
Driving with air con on
Or with window open.
Heating.
Cold air.
Many combinations of all the above.
Just can't understand why when I get to work car is dry, then in 10 hours when I finish my shift at work its soaked.
I'm the last one out of works car park as I can't see to move.
I can understand misting as its been raining forever and when I get in car I'm damp but to me this is a serious matter as I said before if its going to get colder now I will be scraping ice off in side.
I will check carpets after work tonight and hopefully its not raining so I can rule that out.
I just don't think a dealership would entertain me if I took car in and told them my damp problem. ˜³

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
All I can say is that I keep my air conditioning on all the time and the blower on one. If you turn the fan off the air conditioning turns off. I never have more than misting on the windows on start up and they are never wet.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My last car got a really damp windscreen, but that was due to the windscreen leaking, carpet was very wet on one side, so you must have a lot of water in there somewhere. Scraping ice off the inside of a windscreen is not easy, due to it being convex!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Beevee said:
All I can say is that I keep my air conditioning on all the time and the blower on one. If you turn the fan off the air conditioning turns off. I never have more than misting on the windows on start up and they are never wet.
Does it not affect your MPG alot and make your up feel slow?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Andy T9 said:
Beevee said:
Does it not affect your MPG alot and make your up feel slow?
I wouldn't know because I never turn it off. Having air conditioning on does not affect acceleration. I normally average 50 mpg mostly round about town and closer to 60 on a run.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I haven't had moisture just mist, but I did notice the other day, it seemed to take ages to clear the windscreen!

·
Registered
296 Posts
KA used to mist up horribly. Wet feet on rubber mats didn't dry off enough. Old towel to dry off mats at the end of the day and three big bags of silica gel solved the problem. Also something worth keeping in your camera bag in cold weather. Pop them on a radiator overnight and that is them ready for another month or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our Citigo hasn't experienced the moisture problem (.... yet!) but it does take several miles before there's any heat coming into the car - longer than any water cooled car I've ever owned.
Maybe I should start a thread on that?!
Re. The severe misting, there must be significant water in the car somewhere. Have a look in the spare wheel well ....
Best of luck, I know how infuriating that problem is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're right -its all true and anyone saying different lives in Spain. A long line of water down the inside center of my windscreen is the norm. If you have an Up or equivalent its AC always on and fan/defrost engaged. The only salvation is the quick warm-up...........

·
Registered
95 Posts
My up is fine, but I had this problem with my last car, a Renault. Wrote to 'Honest John' for a solution. This is the reply:
'There must be a leak into the car somewhere because if it was completely air and watertight there would be no moisture in the air inside the car to condense on the screens.'

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also get a lot of misting on the inside of my windscreen.. It happens a lot recently.. In the morning and at night after my work!! It takes a good while to clear.. Very irritating!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I to have tried various setting to counter 'misting up'. Best one so far is - heater on no.2, heating set to just over half way up to hot, air con off and not on air re-circulation. Seems to have worked last night when I finished work at midnight. Good luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Jalna said:
My up is fine, but I had this problem with my last car, a Renault. Wrote to 'Honest John' for a solution. This is the reply:
'There must be a leak into the car somewhere because if it was completely air and watertight there would be no moisture in the air inside the car to condense on the screens.'

Well that reply from Honest John is a load of tosh, unfortunately much like the babble that is spurted out on there.

If the car is completely air and water tight, where does the moisture from your breadth go.... errrrr - on your windscreen - as that is going to condense the moisture in the air, as the glass is the quickest surface to fall to match the outside air temperature.

Cars naturally have to have ventilation, one to draw out moisture and secondly to stop the driver from suffering from a lack of oxygen <- Though that may be a solution for some of the cretins on the roads these days.

/rant over - sorry!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mangham54 said:
Well that reply from Honest John is a load of tosh, unfortunately much like the babble that is spurted out on there.

If the car is completely air and water tight, where does the moisture from your breadth go.... errrrr - on your windscreen - as that is going to condense the moisture in the air, as the glass is the quickest surface to fall to match the outside air temperature.

Cars naturally have to have ventilation, one to draw out moisture and secondly to stop the driver from suffering from a lack of oxygen <- Though that may be a solution for some of the cretins on the roads these days.

/rant over - sorry!

Sorry, but you're wrong on this.

Having experienced the problem, and the change in level of condensation when the leak occurred, I know this was not 'tosh'. There was a leak, which turned out to be due to the sunroof not sealing properly.

Of course there is the moisture in the air, which is why all cars get some condensation on the windows. But we're talking about much larger levels of condensation; in the case of my Renault it was large drops of water all over the sunroof and windscreen; which was a right pain, especially in winter when it turned to ice on the inside. This sounds quite similar to the problem some 'up' owners are posting about.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mangham54 said:
Jalna said:

/rant over - sorry!

I was going to say something similar - if the car was completely airtight I'd have more to worry about than condensation on the windscreen!

I have also noticed that my Mii has much more condensation in the morning than I've had with other cars. I can't think there is an obvious source of water getting into the car. (I had that with an MX5 I used to have - was amazing the reduction it made to condensation when I fixed the leak.)
Edited by: Zigster

1 - 20 of 140 Posts