Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may just be an isolated problem connected to my High Up!, but when i took it to the dealer at the end of last week reference the 2 remote key saga that wasn't resolved (see previous post).
On collection and just as i was about to drive off, i discovered the seat belt strap was soaking wet!!, went back in and called out the service administrator, who couldn't really understand why, but suggested when they washed it earlier in the day, the person responable may not have closed the door correclty and that allowedwater in, he went and got a wad of paper towels and we dried it off as best as possible.

Seemed an odd explaination but perhaps logical, it had also been raining heavily. Car was on the drive over the weekend and also lots of rain, went to drive off this morning and the seat belt is soaking wet again, phoned the dealer and they are taking it in on Wednesday to investigate further, i have a panaramic roof also, nowhere else inside the car appears to wet, so i can only think that either there is a pool of water in the base of the seat belt holder or water is somehow leaking in.

BTW attached pic of when it was in the showroom on the day of collection.

Edited by: DavidEw

·
Registered
655 Posts
Nice pic and to see the chrome caps and side rubbing strip on a spec the same as mine. Having seen this and in my personal opinion I think the chrome caps are just a little to much and i prefer the all black look on mine. It surprises me to say that but hey ho! All the best with it and enjoy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting! So do you think is leaking in via the panaramic roof and leaking down into the B pillar?
Hope you get it all sorted quickly!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting problem. Must be frustrating for you. As stated above, keep us updated with any developments.
Your up! looksgreat, particularly with those chrome mirror caps!

....(May be a bit biased)!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I really hope it isnt a pronlem with the panoramic roofs, but then I guess theyd have seen it before in germany etc if it was a known problem!

I kinda know the frustraition as my current car is leaking, but really dont expect it with a new car! Hope it gets rectified soon!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Didn't realise the colour of the centre caps had any relevance to the topic? Great chrome mirror caps......were they expensive?

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's one tasty looking VW
!!

The water MUST be coming from above the belt as the spool is well above the floor line and next to a large hole that goes down to the sills. Your sills cannot be full of water, and if they were it would run into the car and be all over the inside of the car before the seatbelt spool was immersed.

Here's a photo I took while fitting the rear speakers and had the rear panel off.. you can see the spool is well above the floor line and the large hole that leads down the rear wing to the sills.

I have to close my drivers door firmly or it does not shut all the way. I also noticed that if its been raining and you open the door then you are likely to get a shower from above the door as you get in due to it not having a roof 'lip' like some cars... the rain on the bit of roof above the door lets it just drop into the car and onto you. Mine is all fine, as long as I firmly close the door.

The door seal just presses against the roof at the top and a water tight seal really depends on the door being firmly closed to squash the seal against the car.

Maybe your door needs adjusting.. maybe the water is getting past the seal there. Hope so, as it's a lot easier to fix than a leaking sunroof

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pic and explanation, difficut to fathom out what has happened, no sign of wet anywhere else inside the cabinor where leakage may have occured, fortunately when i was in the dealership last Friday, the service administrator dealing with my key programming problem (seperate issue) was there to witness how wet the seat belt was, however i was expecting to open the vehicle this morning as due to last nights heavy rain to see wet seat belts again, but just damp from the previous day, when i checked the panaramic roof, along the the edge towards the drivers door, there is a piece of what looks like unfinished rubber, may not be anything to do with it but i will point it out when i take it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pugliablue said:
Didn't realise the colour of the centre caps had any relevance to the topic? Great chrome mirror caps......were they expensive?
The chrome pack was £250.00, originally due to be done at the build stage, but was advised VW arn't including the chrome in the build except for the Up White & Black (or maybe they forgot it at the build stage and fobbed me off with that response) however the dealer advised me they could fit the chrome pack but not with the chrome around the fog lights, we were at the stage of negotiating how much i would be refunded, when i received a call a call advising me the chrome can now be done around the fog lights, so chrome pack now complete and looking nice. onwards and Upwards to rectify (hopefully) the next problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too have had a shower when I open the door, its a bit annoying. It went all over the seat so had to spend my second journey sat on a towel. I've also noticed that the up seems to hold water on its roof like no other car; giving the windscreen a nice wash when you break!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Booked into dealership today, I asked customer care and one of the mechanics to view the panoramic sunroof before it was booked in, to give me their opinion of an area inside the ridge of the tilted section of the sunroof where I spotted what appears to be a section of silicone (also painted black) the customer service guy wasn't sure what it was, the mechanic suggested it was only some adhesive that has been pushed up when the sunroof was installed and shouldn't be anything to worry about.
They gave me a courtesy car and said they would investigate further, still clutching a little to the theory that the car wash guy may have accidently left the door ajar whilst it had a valet and water somehow got on the seatbelt section(remember though that the seatbelt was soaking wet, not just damp) and a further complication was that there is now a stagnant water smell coming from the seat belt.

Anyway, to sum up! I received a call a couple of hours later from customer service, advising me that the panoramic sunroof has a leak!!! in the area of the excess silicone and they will have to contact VW to find out the best way to resolve the problem, obviously the seat belt will havebe replaced but unsure how the sunroof problem will be solved. needless to say I have contacted VW (UK) and written to them expressing my dissatisfaction. Not a good start to the Up! ownership experience so far.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes - not a good start! Hope it gets sorted.

We didn't select the sunroof option as we couldn't see the point as the car already has a/c fitted plus we had no end of leak issues (never fully resolved0 with a sunroof on a Clio.

Also, we were not keen on the appearance of the car with the sunroof open - looks like someone has just plonked a great slab of glass on the roof - looks like a poor solution to me.

I'd give them one attempt to fix and if not resolved reject the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VWXYZ said:
Yes - not a good start! Hope it gets sorted.

We didn't select the sunroof option as we couldn't see the point as the car already has a/c fitted plus we had no end of leak issues (never fully resolved0 with a sunroof on a Clio.

Also, we were not keen on the appearance of the car with the sunroof open - looks like someone has just plonked a great slab of glass on the roof - looks like a poor solution to me.

I'd give them one attempt to fix and if not resolved reject the car.
We all choose our options for personnal reasons (and finances too i guess) we find the sunroof gives the cabin a brighter look and have never had any problems with sunroofs on previous cars, have to disagree about the appearance, I think it looks great on the Up! and those who have included this option, providing my problemis arare case(which hopefully will be resolved soon) won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Let's hope they sort it quickly for you.. I guess you do have 30 days to reject the car for a full refund, but a new one would take ages to be built. It's a real pain you could do without. I would have liked the sunroof, but could not stretch that far.
Anyway, keep us updated with progress.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope VW sort this for you quickly. Perhaps we'll all end up with a sunroof recall!
My reasons for the sunroof were simple - I had one on my last car and found I used it lots!

·
Registered
75 Posts
sorry to here about you UP! trouble.
Hope vw are quick in sorting this out.
Have check out my sunroof and my one is ok
Sounds like poor fitting and finishing at the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
sorry you are having this issue, hope for you that they resolve it quickly and fully.
i hope it isnt a general problem as im waiting for my up with sunroof!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts