Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until yesterday my longest ever single journey in any car was 520 miles - admittedly with a four hours break whilst I shopped in Calais. I beat that yesterday when I drove to Newquay and back to look at a motorhome! 632 miles and 11 hours driving. 60 mpg at 70 mph too :)

And yet I bought the Hymer
Going to fly back to collect it and drive home ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
1183 miles according to Google maps.<br style="font-family: Verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: Verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Flew to Malaga to buy a type 2 camper then drove it to the ferry at Le Havre.<br style="font-family: Verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal;">

Steady 55 to 60mph maximum.

Midday Friday to 6pm Saturday with a couple of hours sleep in the Pyrenees.

I think the Up! would have been more comfortable and quicker.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My wife's little Mayan blue beauty up,went to aberdaron north wales and back the same day ,
About 285 miles three times last week ,it drove better than my audi A1 tdi ,also it was a pleasure
To drive it ,the driving seat was a dream to sit in ,and it was so comfortable I could of driven it
For another 285 miles non stop ,the best small car I have ever had for fun and enjoyment ,
Well done VW it's the best car you have made since the VW 1303 that was a pleasure to drive
And own, the only problem with it you hat to open the window to close the door as it was air tight ,
That is one of the cars I have had I will never forget ,the furthest I went in that was wembley to
Watch liverpool , Regards ,Phill ,

·
Registered
149 Posts
My up is pronounced Mii and it was 42 miles on the day I collected it.

I did 750 miles from Bristol to Frejus, South of France in a 1302 beetle back in 1982, in a day and a half.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Longest in the UP was 408 miles from VW HQ in Wolfsburg to Bad Tölz in theSouth of Munich, last year. Other cars were 907 miles ( twice in a week ) in a VW Lupo S , 3 years ago, then again in a '03 Mondeo the year after. Leeds to Munich then back again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In January my family (four-up!) did 4,619km (2,870 miles) over 2 weeks. Longest leg was 626 km (389 miles).

·
Registered
88 Posts
The furthest Ive ever been was 3400 miles in 9 days on a Yamaha Fazer FZ1 from Dundee in Scotland to Barcelona and back to go and watch the MotoGP in 2009
was the BEST trip I have ever done.

In a car would be 1300 miles from San Francisco - LA - Las Vegas - Lake Tahoe - San Francisco all in 7 days in a rented Mustang Convertible in 2001

·
Registered
34 Posts
Longest trip I've done has been Sydney to Melbourne (and back) in both my bimmer and C63. I'm keen to try it in the up! soon, but the lack of cruise control might get to me after a while. Has anyone else regretted not having cruise control on a long trip?

Edited by: sbce90

·
Registered
88 Posts
My right foot is my cruise control

I very rarely do long enough trips to need cruise, some of our work vans have it and it is handy for some of the long trips when we are speed limited to 55mph

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I've done the Glasgow-Manchester round trip a few times ...boring as **** but 450 miles, usually on 1 tankfull! thank goodness for M&M sd card music!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bossphillip said:
you hat to open the window to close the door as it was air tight
I have the same problem when closing the door from the outside ""“ a trick I've found is to push it by the top corner of the window frame rather than by the area near the handle.

·
Registered
333 Posts
+2/3 e

Groupie

Thanks(0)Quote Reply Posted: 7 hours 13 minutes ago at 6:47pm
Bossphillip wrote:

you hat to open the window to close the door as it was air tight
I have the same problem when closing the door from the outside ""“ a trick I've found is to push it by the top corner of the window frame rather than by the area near the handle.

Just a quick question are you refering to the. Up ,or the VW 1303 Volkswagen Beatle ,you should think twice before you
Comment on what I wrote, because if you read it properly closing the door was not the up it was the VW 1303 Beatle
If you know what that is .why don't you go and annoy another member ,I don't think they would like it as I don't
No what your problem is .if you are trying to be funny again like you did on another thread ,I cannot under stand
Where you are coming from also I don't have a problem with my up ,or my wife's up , all my five doors close perfectly .OK,
Kind regards Phill ,,,

·
Registered
41 Posts
I drove from Harrogate North Yorkshire to Kielce and Gdansk in Poland via the eurotunnel, stopping off in Wolfsburg on the way back to visit the Autostadt and the heritage museum.
In total about 3000 miles give or take.
Planning our next trip atm!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi All, I haven't been on this site for some time but I am still enjoying my up! White with all the trimmings.

As for long trips, well the longest I have done was not in a VW. I forget which vehicle it actually was. But I am going back to 1966 when I was stationed in Stonehouse Barracks, Plymouth. I had applied for a cup final ticket to watch Everton play Sheffield Wednesday and by five p.m. on the Friday evening of that weekend the **** ticket had not arrived. I eventually managed to rescue it that evening from the main post office in Plymouth. So I then dashed home to Plympton and picked upmy wife and child and headed up to Liverpool to drop them off for the weekend. No motorways in those days.... So it was early morning when we arrived in Liverpool. After a couple of hours sleep I then drove down to Wembley with a couple of passengers and watched the game. Then headed back up to Liverpool for a few hours sleep before the trip back to Plymouth, where I had to be in barracks by 06.00 hrs. Must have done well over a thousand mileson that occasion.

My longest trip in recent years must be across to Duisburg and back staying just one night for a funeral. I drove there and back in my twelve month old FIATMotor-Home. That was another lovely vehicle which I enjoyed having. But because it wasn't getting used an awful lot I gave it to an Association I belong to. This caters for serving and ex-Royal Marines(Mainly SBS) who have returned from such places as Iraq and Afghanistan. In return I can borrow free of charge, any of the five motorhomes thay have for that purpose. It is the only charity I have ever contributed to apart from buying a poppy on the eleventh of November. But as it had cost me about £30,000 with all the additions such as Sat-nav and Sat-TVI think I have paid my dues to charity. Besides I think most charities are a swizz.

If any of you people out nthere have a motorhome to spare then I urge you to do likewise and contribute it to a worthy cause, namely an armed forces based charity where it will be really appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts