Up Owners Club banner

What engine oil?

20K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  rrdoctoruk 
#1 ·
Hi I can't find the oil I need for my 2016 up high? Quite a few variations in grades. I have not got a manual and not sure a Haynes one is available yet.

Thanks all.

#2 ·
Which engine ?
The Tsi, or the 75 bhp unit ?
Ah, if yours is 2016, unlikely to be the Tsi.
Castrol Edge 5W30 I believe, or VW502 00 for fixed service interval, or equivalents from your favourite manufacturer.
Our local VW dealer included a 1 litre bottle when we bought the car, never had to use it yet.
Whatever you use, try to make sure it's fully synthetic, and bear in mind what service intervals you are going to have.
Some are Longlife (LL), others are not.
Castrol Edge comes in Long Life , and normal (max 10.000miles / annum)

#7 ·
The most important thing to get right, is the oils viscosity.
There are various Castrol 5w 30 fully synthetic oils that will suit the 1 Litre VW engine.

The only thing that annoys me are the various oil specifications.
Some members here are probably sticklers for ensuring the right viscosity and oil specification goes in their engine.

Prrsonally as long as you use a Castrol 5w30 oil, which conforms to one of the various VW specs, then you should be fine.

Imagine if your at the side of the road, and realise your engine needs topping up with oil, and heaven forbid, all you have is some standard Castrol 5w30,

What do you do, panic and lose sleep because you've added the incorrect VW spec oil in your engine, or drive on safe in the knowledge that your still using a Castrol oil that conforms to one of the various VW specifications.

A 1Litre Up engine takes just under 4 litres of a high grade 5w30 oil, and as long as you ensure its a Castrol oil, you should be fine.

#8 ·
The most important thing to get right, is the oils viscosity.
There are various Castrol 5w 30 fully synthetic oils that will suit the 1 Litre VW engine.

The only thing that annoys me are the various oil specifications.
Some members here are probably sticklers for ensuring the right viscosity and oil specification goes in their engine.

Prrsonally as long as you use a Castrol 5w30 oil, which conforms to one of the various VW specs, then you should be fine.
VW says nothing about oil viscosity. And there's not too many VW specs for petrol engines. So check VW specs from owner's manual and use any brand or viscosity you like which meets the spec.

#15 ·
For the two and a half years I owned the Anarth that I recently sold for the Gti, I used She'll Helix 5w40 and occasionally Mobil 1 0w 40,
Fiat developed the 1.4 L turbo engine, which required 3 intercoolers to keep some of the heat, but not much of it, away from the turbo.

The only oil the engine was supposed to take was the very expensive Selina 10w 50, and it was murder to source outside the main dealer, and at very close to £20 a litre was a silly price.

In the past 35yrs, with the 11 VW models ranging from a 1969 Fastback, to my favourite, a 1994 1.4 Polo Harlequin, I topped up the engines using quality oil, and rarely used the recommended spec oil.

I've even been extremely lucky, or possibly due to my regular maintenance, none of these cars have developed any teething issues, and apart from the fastback, every car was purchased new.

I've never been an owner who must use the right oil come what may, but I can understand the concern of others who think it's vital to use a 502 or 504 oil.

It's the regular maintenance of the engine, and servicing it regularly, that's most important.

Use a good quality oil, and you should be ok.

#16 ·
I would only use Castrol edge 5w30. Just a personal thing.

#27 ·
You don't know what is the difference between VW502 00 and VW504 00. You don't even know which one suits for your car. Then you come and advice to go to a site which doesn't know the difference between those two specs. They don't recommend any VW502 00 oils. So that's why it is better open owner's manual and find out which oil is suitable for a car. And go from there.

#31 ·
Amazing, you're a mind reader:surprise:
You know that I don't know what service schedule MY car is on.
You know I've never opened MY manual.
And you wanted VW502 spec. Oils. The link is for VW502 spec. oil.
Just interested, as there are NO higher spec. Oils than VW. Which is the higher spec. 502 or 504? And as this is the case why doesn't every other manufacturer use these oils?
Anyway bored now, closed minds and all that:sad:

#30 ·
I have found the UP manual not clear on what kind of oil to use.
Fiat manuals on the other hand have a clear table of all lubricant fluid to use for each kind of engine amd a recommended brand and type of oil. They put also a photo of the oil cans to make simple to find the correct oil.

Now the interesting thing is that for Grande Punto, the suggested oil for turbocharged diesels is the WR 5W-40 that is into VW 502 00 spec
https://extranetpli-eu.pli-petronas...gua=2&id_livello=1&id_canale=1&id_categoria=8
But for the 1400 cc petrol engine is the Selenia K.P.E. also VW 502 00

https://extranetpli-eu.pli-petronas...gua=2&id_livello=1&id_canale=1&id_categoria=8
And for methane engines is the Selenia Multipower Gas that is not in spec with VW 502 00

The newer Selenia Multipower C3 is in spec with VW 502 00.
SELENIA MULTIPOWER C3 | PETRONAS Selenia 25 Anniversary

The problem is of course that sounds strange that an oil designed for diesel engines is good for petrol engines and viceversa, due the different temperatures and the different leaks one gets from piston rings.

#36 ·
Because people including myself want to know what they're actually buying. How do I know that what i'm buying isn't basic oil dressed in some fancy VW packaging? Looking at some pages on that link you have a 5/40 or a 5/30 which i imagine is dependent on which country you live and the temperature variances outside.

Funnily enough people like to know that they're not just buying snake oil. I have a preferred brand, Millers for my engine oil and where possible i use that so i would love to know the full spec of the VW oil so i can make an informed choice and get an equivalent if need be. I know i don't have my UP anymore but if I did i'd like to know that if do have to buy the VW stuff then i'm not just buying garbage.

So i repeat the 502/503/504 etc grades from VW must point to something and then people can make a choice.

#43 ·
Oh dear.
Wrong again:grin::grin:
Don't give up your day job for the mind reading act.
Is it your normal day to day thing to call people liers?
So I've not realised anything wrong with opieoils search engine. If you're too dumb to read the actual spec. Which will clearly state not suitable/suitable for long life/flexible servicing that's your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.