Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all,

Apologies for the stupid questions, new to the ‘buying a new car’ thing & it looks like we’ve stumbled across a pretty poor dealer...

So, the Mrs has ordered an Up GTI with black roof & cruise / park pack on 18th December, deposit paid & we’ve been sent away with some paperwork.

Some of the paperwork refers to a discussion around gap insurance, which never took place & we were promised an email giving us information on a service pack which has yet to materialise. Pretty shoddy all round really.

What happens next? Do we just wait for the dealer to eventually call us to say car arriving on such a date or is there anyway to track it?

Sorry, it’s probably a stupid question but I’d rather ask here before I approach dealer as it least I will be properly informed so can challenge them if required.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your dealer should have given you an order number. Download the ‘My Volkswagen’ app, register, and then add your order number. The app will now track your order status and send you updates. Be sure to enable SMS/txt updates in the options as well. You now just have to sit pretty and ride the fun waiting train like the rest of us have! You can also track your order online using the order number.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/track-my-order

As for the service pack and gap inurance, you can just buy them at collection. On a final note, if you do feel in the dark or confused, then at the risk of stating the obvious......call your dealer!

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree, avoid dealer GAP - they make a huge profit on it; we always use ALA, the price is 30-50% of dealer cover.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello,

As has already been stated you can track the delivery status of your new car via the VW app. When I ordered my new Up, the dealer sent me regular video clip updates to my phone to advise current status of the order. When you do eventually pick up your new car, you will probably have to spend some time with the dealer going through all the associated paperwork and additional offers the salesmen are obliged to push. My new Up was in the showroom when I arrived covered with a sheet which was removed with a flourish by the salesman with an offer of a delivery day photograph. Although I declined the offer, it did add a bit of a personal touch to the whole process.

Happy New Year
Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses & Happy New Year!

Spoke to the dealer today who couldn’t find the order number (person who we ordered the car through was with another customer & supposed to call back but never did...), however he did say that build week was week 6 of 2019. Not sure if this can be relied upon or just something to keep customers quiet with. Any views?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ordered my car two days ago, yesterday I had a message with my order number. My dealer is going to get the car registered with my private reg, have it fitted in PDI along with the bonnet pad and has said something about a surprise on collection. Your dealer is not treating you well as you’ve just dropped £15k with them. Cancel and re-order with a better company!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered my car two days ago, yesterday I had a message with my order number. My dealer is going to get the car registered with my private reg, have it fitted in PDI along with the bonnet pad and has said something about a surprise on collection. Your dealer is not treating you well as you’ve just dropped £15k with them. Cancel and re-order with a better company!
I’m sort of thinking the same thing... it is mildly disappointing that we are being treated this way, hopefully it’s just a genuine mistake / or it has slipped their mind to come back to me.

However I think it will be the last ‘slip up’ I will take before being a bit more assertive with them & will give them tomorrow to come back to me. The dealer isn’t local, chose to go a bit further afield as not impressed with the local dealerships care of cars (I’ve got a Mk 4 Golf GTI turbo which I’ve had for 14 years which was supplied / serviced by the local dealer so am qualified to provide that feedback from first hand experience). Furthermore they knew I had taken time off work to visit them & test drive an Up GTI back to back with a 90bhp High Up before making a decision. Arrived on the day to find one of their staff had taken the GTI home with him & was on holiday so couldn’t do it.

Test drove the High Up & decided to order the GTI anyway, but it just felt that the order was rushed & nothing explained particularly well, almost like as soon as they had the deposit they couldn’t care less.

·
Registered
605 Posts
For me, a solid rapport is vital. I made a 300 mile round trip to collect mine as I valued the experience I had on the phone, evidenced by the diligence and general willingness of the salesperson to go out of their way to find me a car and make the deal happen. My local dealer by comparison got my original order wrong and I didn't feel valued as a customer.

As others have said, find a dealer that treats you with respect and puts in the effort to make the experience pleasurable. You have every right to expect this, it is your hard earned cash after all. Best of luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did a 200 mile round trip to Peter Cooper VW in Portsmouth. I was contacted directly by one of their salesmen Harry Cooper (not related to the company owner) not only is he a salesman but he is a Up! GTi owner and enthusiast.
I felt like royalty for the entire duration of our visit, the test drive of the GTi was amazing, I’m used to older jap turbos but found this as fun as my gt turbo and Glanza but a lot more refined.
Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and I believe I got a deal that I couldn’t have gotten elsewhere. The only options I haven’t gone for are the pano, mud flaps and the reversing camera and it still came in under 17k.
The salesmen rely on your business to earn more than £800 per month, don’t feel that you can be treated any worse than someone dropping 3 x the money on a golf r.
I fact, sod it, go see Harry, tell him I sent you (pm me and I’ll give you my actual name) and get a much better deal and treatments.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
£17,000 sounds like a lot tbh

We paid £14,000 for our 5 door GTi with the panoramic roof and cruise/park plus passenger seat height adjustment

·
Registered
635 Posts
I did a 200 mile round trip to Peter Cooper VW in Portsmouth. I was contacted directly by one of their salesmen Harry Cooper (not related to the company owner) not only is he a salesman but he is a Up! GTi owner and enthusiast.
I felt like royalty for the entire duration of our visit, the test drive of the GTi was amazing, I’m used to older jap turbos but found this as fun as my gt turbo and Glanza but a lot more refined.
Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and I believe I got a deal that I couldn’t have gotten elsewhere. The only options I haven’t gone for are the pano, mud flaps and the reversing camera and it still came in under 17k.
The salesmen rely on your business to earn more than £800 per month, don’t feel that you can be treated any worse than someone dropping 3 x the money on a golf r.
I fact, sod it, go see Harry, tell him I sent you (pm me and I’ll give you my actual name) and get a much better deal and treatments.
I’m not surprised you were treated like royalty if you paid anywhere near to £17k, that’s just an astronomical price. That Harry guy has always struck me as being an utter condescending moron.

In terms of service, I won’t hand cash over to any dealer who cannot demonstrate competance, good communication and service. I bought a CB650R at the weekend. Some dealers just didn’t respond to queries and others have no idea what competitive pricing is.

I had waited in one dealer (North West Honda Wigan) for 2 hours for a test ride, stood around like a lemon (although I really needed the test ride). It wasn’t the wait that particularly annoyed me, but rather their ignorance and handling of it. Not wanting to take advantage, I had then waited at least 30 mins post test ride to strike a deal if possible; after which time I just walked out and rang another dealer. The other Grantham-based dealer was brilliant in comparison and a deal was done within 15 minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts