Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I just got my Seat mii -75 bhp
In my last cars i used Royal Purple but now when i've brand new car i would like to know what is your recommendations for the best engine oil for my new little mii :D

any help ?

thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
After your car is run in, try Mobil 1 (fully synthetic) - but only if you are keeping the car for the longer term. If you are keeping the car for three years or so, stick with the VW supplied oil.

PS I've run cars before on Mobil 1 and oil consumption was non-existent even at 80k + miles. It is similar in price to the Castrol EDGE oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckyjimmy, i'm going to keep the car for the longer term - i guess i'll use the car 6 years and going to drive with it 150,000 km.

I've order Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 - I've heard that it's one of the best oil in VW 502.00 approvals....

thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Your welcome Shezif.

I can't say I'm familiar with Pennzoil - it is not a brand I've seen advertised here in the UK. However, it looks like a good choice after having read through the specifications on the manufacturer's web site.

In the past I've changed the oil in my cars twice a year - two oil and filter changes a year was cheaper than one main dealership annual oil change service. Whether you need to do two changes a year really depends on yourdriving style, annual mileage andenvironmentalconditions among other things. Of course, a dealership service may be mandatory in your country to maintain the car's warranty.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thank goodness the days have gone when every time I filled up with petrol I had to also top up the engine oil. None of the cars I have owned over the last fifteen years have needed oil in between services and the Up! is no exception. The VW three year service plan was too good to refuse so I am afraid I don't know much about engine oil. Fifty years ago the choice was fairly limited. Nowadays whatever you go to buy there is so much choice it's difficult to know what's best.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My Up appears to have been slightly over-filled by VW - it's way over the top of the hatched area. It hasn't gone down at all after 2000 miles, either.

My previous car, a Fabia vRS, needed topping up every few hundred miles.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My Up used a bit of oil (about 1 litre) during the first 10 - 15k miles. Since about 15k miles the car has hardly used any at all and the odometer is now at 26k miles. I check the oil about every two weeks depending on miles covered.

The first car I had (Vauxhall Chevette) used to need about half a pint of oil every week! I had to keep a pint of oil in the boot when on longer journeys. My expectation these days is that a car should use very little oil when driven normally (better designed and manufactured engines).

As for oil choice today, I suspect even a budget brand of oil (to the correct specification for the car) would perform well, compared to even a few years ago. Don't put synthetic oil in your classic car though - very bad for some of the engine gaskets if they have not been upgraded!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Umiamz said:
My Up appears to have been slightly over-filled by VW - it's way over the top of the hatched area. It hasn't gone down at all after 2000 miles, either.

My previous car, a Fabia vRS, needed topping up every few hundred miles.

You could get Kwik Fit or similar to take some out - they have machines that can suck the oil up the dipstick tube. Whether it is worth the trouble depends on how much over the maximum the oil is.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've only measured it cold so far - I'll follow the procedure in the manual and inspect it a few minutes after bringing the engine to operating temperature.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Umiamz said:
My Up appears to have been slightly over-filled by VW - it's way over the top of the hatched area.
Same when I collected my up!. The manual says it's a big deal (p. 185 in mine): "Do not start the engine if the engine oil level is above area (A). Seek expert assistance. The catalytic converter and the engine could otherwise be damaged." I syphoned out my excess via the dipstick tube using this.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You should have taken the car back to the dealer and made them do it. You would then have had a record that it had to be done in case a future problem occurs with the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Beevee said:
You should have taken the car
"Do not start the engine""¦"
back to the dealer and made them do it.
It seemed daft to use the one place in the world I knew not to be so hot on the subject of oil levels, when I could remove the excess myself
However, in retrospect, it would have been wise to seek the expert assistance advised by the manual in case anything else needed to be done to investigate and rectify damage already caused.
You would then have had a record that it had to be done in case a future problem occurs with the catalytic converter.
I emailed them straight away, in the hope that they could review their procedures before overfilling anyone else's car.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I assumed mine was filled at the factory. Just checked it 10 minutes after the drive home and it's at the top of the A area in the manual. Doesn't say anything about not driving but does say that you mustn't put any more in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Umiamz said:
I assumed mine was filled at the factory.
Ah ""“ I assumed for some reason (I might have read it somewhere) that they were transported with minimal oil and topped up by the dealer.
Just checked it 10 minutes after the drive home and it's at the top of the A area in the manual. Doesn't say anything about not driving but does say that you mustn't put any more in.
(My manual is the 05.2013 edition, according to the front cover.) The 05.2013 Citigo manual says (p. 124): "The oil level must on no account extend beyond the range [A]. Risk of damaging the exhaust system!" but like yours, doesn't say what you should/shouldn't do if the level is too high.

·
Registered
171 Posts
+2/3 e said:
Umiamz said:
I assumed mine was filled at the factory.
Ah ""“ I assumed for some reason (I might have read it somewhere) that they were transported with minimal oil and topped up by the dealer.
Hopefully someone else will know, but meanwhile I'm assuming I totally made it up, since I see that (some?) Golfs are filled in the factory.

In which case, apologies to my dealership for the slur above
(unless the Delivery Inspection should have included an oil-level check).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts