Up Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering what the Kelvin rating is on a 67 plate UP!’s driving lights as I would like to match my headlights with this colour.
Thanksyou so much for any input :D

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Colour temp is only a broad guide - we are talking a broad spectrum of 'white' light. Basically it will only tell you how blue the lights are. If you have LED headlights, any LED DRLs will match well enough, if you have extreme halogen headlights, the DRLs may look more blue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colour temp is only a broad guide - we are talking a broad spectrum of 'white' light. Basically it will only tell you how blue the lights are. If you have LED headlights, any LED DRLs will match well enough, if you have extreme halogen headlights, the DRLs may look more blue.
So basically, pretty much any LED headlight will match my LED DRLs whereas, extreme halogens may seem slightly less blue. That’s helped a lot Thankyou so much

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
yes - "warm" and "cool" LEDs are both fairly blue (the latter bluer) compared with any filament bulbs. Extreme halogen filaments (which don't last long) are not a bad match with LEDs though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So basically, pretty much any LED headlight will match my LED DRLs whereas, extreme halogens may seem slightly less blue. That’s helped a lot Thankyou so much
The Kelvin values supplied by serious companies providing LED conversion kits like IPF, Osram and Philips are fairly correct and can range between 5000-7000K. A 1000K difference is imho a pretty big difference that is easily distinguishable for the naked eye. If you care about matching the white lights from the LEDs on your car, stick to reputable manufacturers and buy the same colour temperature.

Bonus story: I bought a H4 LED conversion kit from IPF specifically because they could provide a kit with a 5000K white. A good looking light that is much less blue/purple than most LED conversion kits on the market. At a quick glance the whiteness of the IPF light looks a lot like the one you get from halogen H4 bulbs like Osram Cool Blue Intense or Philips WhiteVision ultra that has a blue cap/coating. Why IPF and why 5000K? Mainly because of two things - MOT and safety. Knowing I can drive my VW Up to the annual MOT without worrying about or revert my conversion. And being able to drive my Up at night knowing I'm not blinding oncoming traffic with my much improved light (stock lights are terrible). Using after market LED conversion kits in an ECE-approved car (that was originally sold with halogens) is not legal in Sweden and will normally not pass MOT over here. My car has passed MOT twice now with the IPF LEDs installed. Most likely because the light temperature and pattern doesn't scream LED like cheaper kits do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.