Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for some wheels to fit winter tyres to, mainly to stop my lovely new classic wheels getting ruined by the rubbish they put on our UK roads during the winter.

I started by finding 14 inch steel wheels with tyres fitted at a reasonable price, it's acceptable and will work but looks a bit dull.

So, I thought I'd find some alloys, no problem, 16 inch alloys are available everywhere and I can get some at a really good price with tyres fitted.

The problem is, that they are mainly 7J , I don't think they'll fit although all the suppliers seem to think they do? It seems to me that my 16 x 6J clssic alloys with 185/50 x 16 tyres are already close to the strut on the front axle, 7J wheels with 205/45 x 16 tyres with an offset of ET35 or ET38 are the options, has anyone fitted them? A lower offset would clear the strut but what about the arches.

I then looked at the genuine wheels, classic alloy in black are £101.20 each in the accessory brochure which is ok, when I phoned the dealear they were suddenly £155.00 each! White ones were around £220..00. They said prices change!

I'm going to talk to them when I have to go in tomorrow but I'm just interested in whether 16 x 7J wheels actually fit?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Get the steel wheels will be cheap to buy and for tyres too and put your nice wheels back on when all the crap weather has gone !

·
Registered
430 Posts
I wouldn't go to the expense of fitting new wheels, while winter tyres are being fitted give alloys a good spray with a product called acf-50 for the winter. I use it on my motorbike which I have used in all seasons without suffering any rust or corrosion-google it for more info, it's not cheap but def cheaper than a set of new wheels!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I also use ACF-50. It can safely be sprayed on rubber and plastics, unlike WD-40, and won't wash away anywhere near as quickly as WD-40 will.

It's a thick purple gloop that can be sprayed if thoroughly warmed up, but is rather reluctant when cool.

Nick

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought some acf-50, thanks for the advice.

The dealer also offered me a discount on some classic alloys in black so I bought a set today on the basis that I will be able to sell them easily in the future if I look after them so they won't cost much in the long run.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do intend to put winter tyres on them, there's not a lot of options although my dealer wants to quote so I'll see what they say when the wheels turn up.

There's nothing available in 185/50 x 16 that I can find but I have found some 175/55 x 16 which result in a small (1.26818% ) increase in the circumference of the tyre, immaterial.

The only drawback is the brand, Nankang, I've heard of them and they have been around for years, wouldn't be my first choice though!

I'm going to wait until my wheels arrive and the weather changes and see what options are available then.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wheels were approx £140 each plus £45 for the centre caps, it was £598 in total, more expensive than some alloys, cheaper than others, but I know that they fit properly and will sell easily when I'm done with them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
matt-drummer said:
I do intend to put winter tyres on them, there's not a lot of options although my dealer wants to quote so I'll see what they say when the wheels turn up.
There's nothing available in 185/50 x 16 that I can find but I have found some 175/55 x 16 which result in a small (1.26818% ) increase in the circumference of the tyre, immaterial.

The only drawback is the brand, Nankang, I've heard of them and they have been around for years, wouldn't be my first choice though!
I've looked at the Nankang but it only has a loadindex of 80 and it should be 81. So not sufficient for the Up... pfff

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're right, they're no good.

There are lots of options for 195/50 x 16 though, that's only a 1.691% increase in circumference, still acceptable to me.

I would imagine that they will fit a 6J rim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts